[drivingpairs] 6-up lines

  • From: "Kenneth H. Williams" <lonestr7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:03:41 -0500

I've just gotten bits and pieces of the six in hand lines but I assume
that someone doesn't know what they are or how to use them.  Whatever
you do don't cut them up!!!!  Leasther lead lines are very expensive to
replace.
In a six-up each team has their own set of lines.  You basically have
three pairs.  The only difference in each "pair" of lines (reins) is the
length of the tail.   The further away from the driver (whip) a team is
the onger the lines must be to accomadate the distance.  Adding another
team for an 8-up would add another pair of lines that much longer.
In the bits and pieces I've gotten it sounds as though someone thinks
that the lines all hook together somewhere; they don't.  Each team line
goes from the bit all the way to the hand.  Somewhere about the rump the
lines will split in two.  The line that is the shortest length at the
adjustment buckle (known as the check line) goes to the inside and
connects to the inside of the bits.  The line that is one solid strip
goes to the outside and connects to the outside of the bits.  (Since I
don't drive one-handed then the following applies to the way I drive)
There will be three lines in the left hand that is attached to ALL the
left sides of ALL the horses.  There will be three lines in the right
hand that is attched to ALL the right sides of ALL the horses.
I hope this has helped and not confused.  It's easy to show but hard to
write.  Should you drive a 6-in-hand then there will be six lines in the
left hand.
Ken
http://www.lonestarhitch.com