[drivingpairs] 3-Abreast

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:06:24 -0800 (PST)

I have seen a couple of carriage 3-Abreast hitches.
They used a fixed pair of poles, looked like shafts
for the center horse.  Had roller bolts, no
singletrees.  I never paid enough attention to the
reins, to remember what was arranged how.

Our friend had the 3-horse setup she drove to some
Morgans, full-bodied horses, but not real tall.  It
was very wide, took more than one lane on a dirt road.
 She had to get WAY over for cars coming.  Horses were
attached with pole straps at the end of each
shaft/pole.  Everything was rigid, to harness up, you
backed the center horse in.  I think she did a couple
shows, some picnic drive things, so she could haul all
her friends in larger vehicle.  Each couple owned one
of the horses!!  She had a lot of fun with it, but we
never tried it.  Our horses are even wider, would need
the WHOLE road!!

Stewart Morris also drove this hitch to a Roofseat
Break, I believe.  I saw it once in person, but it was
also pictured on one of the older Mischka calendars.
I will have to look it up.  Very striking photo, with
the grey Saddlebred type horses.

Local Amish use a 3-horse set up for spring plowing.
A five is also popular.  Both hitches are using
eveners.  They also need the extra horsepower, for
heavy, wet dirt.  I know they often change horses from
morning to  after lunch, probably not very fit.
  I need a telescope to check out the rein
arrangements, never seems to be plowing by the road
when I see it!

Kathy Robertson