[drivingpairs] Re: 2 handed method of holding the reins

  • From: KDougk@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:46:20 EST

Hey I am impressed, Hardy you can brag all you want.  I think driving a six
properly with reins Achenbach style would be beyond me. I am also not sure that
goes with my image of stagecoach "driver" with old beaten up cowboy hat and
the matching vocal commands. Ye Haw

I know I had my hands full with the Randem.

Expect 5" of snow in Virginia tomorrow, so unless I get highly motivated to
get a sleigh out, very doubtful I can get that excited, no riding or driving
this weekend.

Doug
Middleburg, VA

In a message dated 2/10/2006 12:52:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, Hzlax@xxxxxxx
writes:
In a message dated 2/9/2006 11:27:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

We do not drive 6 up and thus can handle al
the reins in the left hand.

Ah, but even with six, the Achenbach style works and certainly was done in
those days. But I agree withDoug, we don't do that much anymore, but one
occasions we do. See page 26 of the June 2003 Whip where I do a one handed
circle
Achenbach style with six. :-)
Hardy (on the run today, but happy to talk more about Achenbach advantage and
disadvantage next week)