[dps-chat] Re: Australian Censuses - Frederick Mellows

  • From: Rosemary <rosemary.e.martin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 12:31:07 +0800

Hi Peter

The Victorian Death Index shows that Fred's father was named Fred (it was recorded as Fred in both cases, not Frederick) & Fred jnr was aged 43. He died in Hawthorn which is a Melbourne suburb. Registration number 6599. No mother is named on the index so I wouldn't expect that information on the death certificate. But Victorian death certificates at that time asked for a LOT of other information - IF the Informant knew the answers! So you might get some more information by purchasing a digital death record online. Downloadable, uncertified historical certificates are now A$20 each which is currently about £11. Even if it just gives his occupation that might provide a clue. Since the Informant must have known his father's name, maybe he or she was a relative? Any relationship should be shown on the certificate. If you tell me your direct email address I can send you an image showing all the information asked on the death certificate. (the image is too large for sending via this List) https://my.rio.bdm.vic.gov.au/efamily-history/5ff3e88cf0825b1be9d7da83 <https://my.rio.bdm.vic.gov.au/efamily-history/5ff3e88cf0825b1be9d7da83>

Being so young when he died, IF he died in hospital there may be hospital records you can explore.

There are some Post Office & other Directories available for that period but I can't find him in Sands & McDougall's 1885 or 1890 Melbourne Directory.

http://cedric.slv.vic.gov.au/R/EGIQ7UEAP61GHUPAKIVG54RP1B29A8QSCGQFIF7L6BUQIS1VCA-06120?func=collections-result&collection_id=3908 <http://cedric.slv.vic.gov.au/R/EGIQ7UEAP61GHUPAKIVG54RP1B29A8QSCGQFIF7L6BUQIS1VCA-06120?func=collections-result&collection_id=3908>

What do you already know about him? What is your interest in him?

Good luck

Rosemary

On 1/04/2021 3:35 am, Peter Gainsborough (Redacted sender peter.gainsborough for DMARC) wrote:

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for your response to my plea for help regarding the Australian Censuses.

Thank you also for letting me know that the first census wasn’t taken until 1911 – no help there then in finding Frederick Mellows.

We are spoilt for choice ‘up over’ as all censuses from 1841 to 1911 in the public domain, also the 1939 Register.

I found FM on the FindAGrave website https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/208231066/frederick-mellows <https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/208231066/frederick-mellows> where his date of birth is given as 1849, therefore 42/43 years old.

I cannot find a likely suspect in the migration records on the FindMyPast website, nor can I find a likely birth for Frederick c.1849 +/- 5 years in England.

I’ve tried signing up to the Victoria State Library, but I keep getting timed out! Perhaps I’ll try again tomorrow.

If, in the meantime, you come across anything relating to Frederick Mellows, I would be very interested to know about it.

Peter Gainsborough