[donspatch] 2014-02-01

  • From: Don Crowder <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 00:02:28 -0600

#185, February 1, 2014 from http://www.don-guitar.com

After six weeks of misery, is assorted degrees, Lisa's case
of the flu has segued into a sinus infection.  My own flu
symptoms were far less severe than hers, because the VA
insisted on giving me a flu shot the last time I was there
but my own flu also seems to have segued into sinus problems
if not an outright infection.  Meanwhile the weather turned
extremely cold, keeping us indoors, in our small place, at
a time when we've both been feeling ill and annoyed.  The
marriage has, thus far, survived but voices have been
raised a time or two. We're very much looking forward to
a disease-free Spring.  :)

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

Contact us:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactus.html

Don on...

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

Google+.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Lisa on...

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/people/Lisa-Miller/100006947013567

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/lsmiller221

Google+:
https://plus.google.com/+LisaMiller/posts

Our email group is a (very) low traffic, non-topical,
'hanging with friends' sort of email discussion
group available to our friends and subscribers.
If you'd like to join the discussion, or just
lurk and 'listen in', send us a message from
our contact page and let us know what email
address you'd like to be subscribed under.

---

Some years back I created some charts on my website which
are useful for helping people transpose songs into another
key and help with capo placement.  Here's the page:
http://www.don-guitar.com/transpose.html
At any rate, it's become, by far, the most popular page on
my website.When I created that page, there wasn't much
information on the web about transposing.  That has changed.
These days there are websites which will automatically
transpose 'tab' sheets (song lyrics with lettered chords
typed in the line above the text).  Here are a few of them:
http://www.logue.net/xp/ (highly recommended by Lisa)
http://thetabulator.com/
http://www.chordchanger.com/
http://tabtransposer.com/
http://tabtuner.com/new/
http://www.transposechords.com/
http://www.8notes.com/tab/
http://tabnabber.com/convert_guitar_sheet_music.asp

Gratitude can be powerful stuff.
http://365grateful.com/

Is the post office open today?
http://www.postofficeopen.com/

Grigory's survival videos are great but it can be a real
challenge to understand them if you don't speak Russian.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Grigoryi1/videos

Here are some survial videos in English.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MissionSurvivor/videos

This cool video, about future technology, was made in 1990.
http://vimeo.com/72501076

I enjoyed exploring the photography of Helen Holmes.
http://www.helenholmesphotography.co.uk/

Steve Shanafelt's Busk Break is great videos of street
musicians (buskers) doing their thing.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CityNotebook/videos

The Hokum High Rollers play Pre-WWII Piedmont Blues,
Ragtime, Hot Jazz and Western Swing.
http://thehokumhighrollers.bandcamp.com/

Pharrel Williams won a grammy for this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
And created a pretty cool website as well.
http://24hoursofhappy.com/

If you're a woman who likes to write and loves to travel,
here's a way to capitalize on the things you enjoy.
http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/about-us/write-for-us/

I don't normally list commercial sites but this is a great
place to find gifts for the musicians in your life.  If you
don't know any musicians, some of this cool stuff will make
you wish you did.  :)   http://www.albertsgifts.com/

Me, I'm 85% liberal.  You?
http://goo.gl/RJ6W0K [time dot com]

Ok, they're right, I'd never heard of any of these
amimals.  How about you?
http://www.viralnova.com/22-unknown-animals/

A stay-at-home dad with a penchant for post-it notes.
http://moreclaremore.com/stay-home-dad-leaves-post-wife/

This is a really cool bit a technology for anyone with
tremors.   http://goo.gl/DTmGcx [upi dot com]

This Russian mom is a gifted photographer.
http://goo.gl/jFdLZ1 [boredpanda dot com]

Wise words from our friend Ken Starks.
http://goo.gl/3W1uyr [fossforce dot com]

I was looking for some music by an obscure (to me) blues
artist who was called Magic Sam when I ran across this
archive of Blues By The Bay broadcasts from NPR affiliate
KPFA (Berkeley, California).  Click on an archive and the
subsequent page should offer a 'Play' button.
http://www.kpfa.org/archive/show/62

Nerdy stuff for nerdy folks!
http://nerdfighteria.org/

The art of paper pop-ups.
http://goo.gl/gGK8LP[popuppaper dot blogspot dot com]

So, it would take 536 people to replace every elected person
in the Senate, House and White House.  I don't see any way
it's going to happen but they get points for ambition.  :)
http://www.fivethirtysix.org/

How did kids find the stuff they lost before the internet?
:)   http://goo.gl/5oWc3J [themetapicture dot com]
To me, these awesome dolls sure make Barbie seem mundane.
http://goo.gl/5bIAW6 [theguardian dot com]

Don't play this online bubble game, I hate it.  Seriously,
it just beats you up and wastes your time.  Don't play it.
http://www.bubblegame.org/  (you'll be sorry)

Design your own business logo.
http://www.squarespace.com/logo

An online diet gizmo.   http://www.eatthismuch.com/

How much time have you 'wasted' on facebook?
http://goo.gl/LyOjct [techland dot time dot com]

Everyday mysteries.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/
More where that come from.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/
---

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, and freelists.org
with occasional help from my wife, Lisa Miller.
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 361.

Contributions from our readers and/or friends
are always welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you wish (just
tell me when you send them if that's what you
intended).  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.

Gamer nerds with long memories might like
these DIY Legends Of Zelda beverage coasters.
http://goo.gl/MuuAXC [instructables dot com]

A safe way for teachers to communicate with
students and the parents of their students.
https://www.remind101.com/

Web-sibling Vinette DePhillipe is clearly a cat lover.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBW-QZ568w

Thank you Patrick and Vi.

---

Lisa asked me to be sure and include the videos she made of
our band using our new 3rd generation, Vado HD camcorder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WrV9V8nao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-fePBb1bNY
The camcorder was a factory refurb that I found on eBay for
$65 (with free shipping).  She's learning to use OpenShot,
a free and Open Source video editor, to do post production
on her videos.   OpenShot is integrated with Audacity (a
free and Open Source audio editor) and InkScape (a free and
Open Source SVG editor - used to create opening & closing
credits), all of which run nicely on her Kubuntu 12.04
(Linux) laptop.  None of that stuff works on my Kubuntu
12.04 (Linux) laptop.  I don't know why, I guess her laptop
is just way better than mine.  Yeah, that's it.  She's
also been doing a picture-a-day project and she made a video
(slide show w/music) of the pictures she took in January.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwSTkmV2HY

Hope you find something you like in this issue and that
you'll take the time to tell me about it.  Thanks!

See you next time,

Don

---

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Instruction.