[donspatch] 2012-06-01

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 01:20:43 -0500

#173 June 1, 2012 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

We're not exactly moving forward by leaps and bounds on the
house but progress is being made.   The latest project I've
completed is a concrete footing for a rock retaining wall
(to hold the extra fill we brought in to level the outside
shop/shed area).   http://goo.gl/2sJAO (scroll down)

Still feeling a little frustrated by not being able to quite
finish anything.  Every project seems to be hanging fire
on one or another minor snag but I know that's at least
partially because every project I actually finish disappears
from my mind so all I can remember is the unfinished
projects but I'm starting to wonder if every project I
finish doesn't spawn two new unfinished projects.

I'm telling you, they may be out to get me.  0_0

:P~

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Lisa on...

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google plus.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Our email group is a low traffic, non-topical,
'hanging with friends' sort of email discussion
group available to our friends and subscribers.
If you'd like to join the discussion, or just
lurk and 'listen in', send us a message from
our contact page and let us know what email
address you'd like to be subscribed under.

Section One by Don.

This gentleman hates the thought of wasting paper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=2FMBSblpcrc

A not-so-small collection of potentially useful apps.
http://www.max2k.com/all.php?cat=11

Everything you ever wanted to know about WD-40.
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

Who remembers the SETI Institute?   http://www.seti.org/
When I first heard about seti@home I was new to the web and
using Windows 98SE.  Basically it works like a screen saver,
running when you aren't using your computer, making your
computer a component in the ongoing search for (no kidding!)
extraterrestrial intelligence.  Is that awesome or what?
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

A strange and unusual artist.
http://www.evl.uic.edu/caylor/site4sore_iii.html

How serious is world population pressure?
http://www.ined.fr/en/everything_about_population/

For armchair pilots who can't afford an airplane.
http://www.surclaro.com/

Aircraft info.
http://www.joebaugher.com/uscombataircraft.html
http://airpower.callihan.cc/

Do-It-Yourself laptop and notebook repair tips and tricks.
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/

Lennon and Maisy are totally awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=7_aJHJdCHAo
& more.   http://www.youtube.com/user/lennonandmaisy/videos

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Google is being proactive in warning us about
a new and devastating malware and its removal.
http://goo.gl/AQJMw
http://goo.gl/f3Ewk

If you're seeing ads on Wikipedia,
you probably have a malware.
http://goo.gl/ZtdiR

Ideas for a better world.
http://goo.gl/rZGYv
http://www.thevenusproject.com/

Watch this and try to stay in a bad mood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLJsdqxnZb0

Beatiful art from an unusual resource.
http://goo.gl/rZg5Z

I hate to tell you how much I love these.
http://www.crookedbrains.net/2008/04/finger-art.html
http://www.designzzz.com/photographs-finger-art-funny/

Amazingly amazing.
http://goo.gl/rfqGL

How memes work.
http://goo.gl/9YOyH

Olde English is pretty cool.  Let's use more
of these crazy words, I beseech thee.
http://www.ibequeaththee.com/oldenglish.html

I was trying to think of a description for this,
but settled on using the title;
'time displacement experimental video'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MsDogV4g4

We got a lot of good advice on sheetrocking
from this site, there's plenty more.
http://www.hometime.com/home.html

Here's what I do when I need a little boost.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoaazVGPtuQ

Things happy people do differently.
http://goo.gl/WtRc5

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 360.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other media related
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.

Section Three by Don.

I'm not a fan of yahoo news (or yahoo in general for
that matter) but this piece, on a new concept in
digital imaging is very interesting.
http://goo.gl/fQ9JH [yahoo dot com]

Right now the influx of tiny computers is interesting...
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/75259.html
...but not yet of any real practical use.  That will change
as more and more full featured services become available
in "the cloud".  It won't be long before most people won't
understand the difference between a computer and a browser.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

This is a very biased quiz.  Unless you're an American
who's over five decades old, it'll be meaningless to you.
http://www.bbhq.com/sixquz.htm

A guide to prehistoric amimals (very cool).
http://www.palaeocritti.com/paleo-news

Yet another sharing gizmo.   http://dropmark.com/

Has anyone noticed the incredible revolution occuring in
the music industry?  Traditional methods of producing and
promoting music are falling by the wayside at a phenomenal
rate.  Amanda Palmer raised over a million (US) dollars
to produce and promote her latest album via Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/   This is just a site that
collects money from people like you and me but it's not
a simple donation; you get something in return for your
money (which varies depending on how much you invested).
CDBaby is a site where you can buy music from hundreds
(perhaps thousands?) of independent artists.
http://www.cdbaby.com/
Sites like fandalism,  http://fandalism.com/
SoundCloud, http://soundcloud.com/
and Melodious.me, http://www.melodious.me/
can be valuable resources for any musician, amateur or
professional.   Studio quality recordings can be produced
by total amateurs using Open Source software like
Audacity  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
or ardour  http://ardour.org/
and, once the material is "in the can" companies like
Disk Makers can bring the music one step closer to reality.
http://www.discmakers.com/ (and if you don't like their
rates, they have hundreds of competitors.)

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

I need bathouses.
http://goo.gl/qG7yZ

An incredible baseball photo.
http://goo.gl/Xndm1

How much of your body is really 'you'?
Turns out not much.
http://goo.gl/DX2Wi

Learn where you can do some good.
http://www.allforgood.org/

An interesting color test.
http://color.method.ac/

Great idea for all those rechargers.
http://goo.gl/5KRzn

How does your email get where it's going?
http://www.google.com/green/storyofsend/desktop/

20 free photography ebooks.
http://goo.gl/bsREk

A compelling narrative by a man who couldn't eat.
http://www.esquire.com/features/chrons-disease-diet-0909

Free ebooks, including those expensive textbooks.
http://bookboon.com/

Take it easy with those 'healthy' green smoothies.
http://goo.gl/V5Saf

What does a sonic boom look like?
http://goo.gl/Dhvxd

A smart, beautiful designer's blog.
http://www.swiss-miss.com/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

Serendipity can be so awesome.  I recently discovered
Julia Nunes while looking for something else on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaaaaaaa

41 questions anyone?   http://www.41q.com/

Don't know what to call this.  I guess it's a museum of
sorts.   http://www.publiccollectors.org/index.htm

Mozilla has been making a lot of noise (advertising)
about their new Webmaster.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/webmaker/
What is it?  They have videos about that.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/webmaker/videos/

Secunia is a software which helps enhance your system's
security (I first mentioned them back in 2007).
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
They also offer an online scan.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Computer tips from the U.S. government.
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/

Computer versus the brain.
http://library.thinkquest.org/C001501/the_saga/compare.htm

Exploring the extraordinary power of the internet.
http://goo.gl/HJTG8 [bbc dot co dot uk]

The power of the internet over depression (very cool).
http://goo.gl/Prl9k [utexas dot edu]

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

Plumbing is not hard.
http://toiletcademy.com/

This has happened to me, but not lately.
http://goo.gl/IJBYP

There are plans in the works to control
or shut down Internet access to the
public.  Here's a backup plan.
http://internetdefenseleague.org/

Amazing, beautiful, and even functional
business cards.
http://goo.gl/YNbd5

An underwater sculptor and his work.
http://www.underwatersculpture.com/

How the manufacturing world changed.
http://www.strategosinc.com/just_in_time.htm

This past Memorial Day reminded me that
there are proper ways to repair and dispose
of unservicable American flags.
http://www.united-states-flag.com/flag-disposal.html

How to be happier at work.
http://goo.gl/J8Nzb

10 TV episodes that changed television.
http://goo.gl/OBYya

Talk like a Texan.
http://www.rice.edu/armadillo/Texas/talk.html

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

The 2012 top seven best Linux distros.
http://goo.gl/Wuwwe [linux dot com]

Fifty Unix/Linux Sysadmin tutorials (most of these are
fairly "nerdy" but a few might be useful to everyday
users.   http://goo.gl/Y91kI [thegeekstuff dot com]

Ten outstanding Linux backup utilities.
http://goo.gl/Ql3q9 [techrepublic dot com]

A Little Humor.

Humor for this issue is provided by Tom Hanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLWKBWkn3s

Tips for This Issue.

Computer tips.   http://tips4pc.com/

More computer tips.   http://www.techhelpguide.com/

Still more.   http://pctips.50webs.org/

Contributions from our readers and/or friends
are always welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you wish (just
tell me when you send them if that's what you
intended).  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden, here's an add-on for
the Google Chrome browser which he likes very much.
http://goo.gl/v0d3c [google dot com]

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

This site is about the most elusive and rare animals
(cryptids); Bigfoot, Yeti, Chupacabra, Ivory Billed
Woodpecker, Nessie, Yowie, and more.
http://www.cryptomundo.com/

Ads of the world.   http://adsoftheworld.com/

Answer some questions, feed some folks.
http://www.freeflour.com/

Awfully specialized isn't it?
http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/cgi-bin/seigmiaow.pl

How to drive like a moron.   http://www.doggiesnot.com/

Wonderful images.   http://freshome.com/

A site for connoisseurs of the NYT crossword puzzle.
http://rexwordpuzzle.blogspot.com/

A very colorful site.   http://www.colourlovers.com/

All about the Hollywood sign.
http://www.hollywoodsign.org/

Maze design.
http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~csk/projects/mazes/

Garfield minus Garfield.  This is just weird. :)
http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

Celebrating women in history.
http://www.biography.com/people/groups/womens-history
http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/
http://search.eb.com/women/
http://www.history.com/topics/womens-history-month
http://www.nwhm.org/
http://www.nwhp.org/
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/women/womensbook.asp
http://www.greatwomen.org/

From our web-sibling Vinette (Vi) DePhillipe,
what else would you name a brilliant parrot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=nbrTOcUnjNY

From our web-sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

I find it an interesting coincidence that both Patrick
and John are internet paranoids.  :)  John describes
himself as a secure-anoid.   At any rate, they both
sent links to similar (but not identical) softwares.
http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php?

Patch My PC is a small portable application that updates
third party applications and Windows updates.
http://www.patchmypc.net/

How to protect your online privacy.
http://goo.gl/5UxNs [techsupportalert dot com]

Tempest Milky Way (an awesome video).
http://vimeo.com/28040685

Osprey, the ultimate fisher (video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=nA3LtXnNIto

John has discovered the PianoGuys (of whom Lisa and I are
also avid fans).  These videos should demonstrate why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgovv8jWETM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaTQ5-XfMM&;
You like?  Treat yourself to their channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePianoGuys/videos

From our web-sibling Randi Simon-Serey.
( http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x53/chowchowgrl/ )

The art of Dean Russo.
http://www.deanrussoart.bigcartel.com/

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Vi, John and Randi.

Last word, from Lisa:

Well, it's been a month, so of course I'm trying
something completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WOIwlXE9g

I've applied for a PMR-Postmaster Relief position,
which consists of a 4-hour shift on Saturday
mornings and covering sick days, emergencies
and holidays for the regular Postmaster.  I was
accepted for the job and still need to fill out
paperwork, attend orientation and be trained.
Should be an interesting gig.  I won't be quitting
any of my cleaning clients, though, that wouldn't
be wise at the moment, USPS is going through
some serious reorganization and who knows how it
will all shake out.

Hoping you're always doing something new and
completely different.  As usual, the adventure
continues...

Lisa

https://plus.google.com/101326359135790262301

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Friday, June 1, 2012
1:20 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Instruction.