[donspatch] 2010-12-15

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:19:08 -0600

#155 December 15, 2010 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

A few days ago I mashed my right thumb with a crowbar.  As
well as giving me an enforced break from pulling nails out
of our little mountain of used 2x4's it's made it impossible
for me to play my left-handed guitar.  For the time being
I've become the piano player.  It's difficult but not
impossible for me to play the piano.  I'm lucky enough to
work with a wonderfully talented young fellow (Jody Proctor,
who also plays guitar and piano) who's now the guitarist
until further notice.  Normally we both play guitars with
one or the other of us occasionally switching to piano.
Our bassist and drummer (Pat Gibbons and Marshall Morgan,
respectively) also trade instruments occasionally.  That's
why I named the band 'Turnabout'.  I've been playing one
instrument or another, in one band or another, since 1968
but I guess I've finally paid my dues because Turnabout is,
by far, the best band I've ever been a part of.  Almost
makes me want to record something.  :)

Christmas is only a few days away now.  I hope your days
are filled with love, laughter and fellowship.  As always,
Lisa and I aren't having a 'commercial' Christmas but we'll
probably use google voice to call our families, friends and
web-siblings.

Happy holidays, see you next year.

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Section One by Don.

A few interesting videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfSMVPJg35A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lEpANGzaqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfDgI0gVAW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxueDvq_gNw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgaICZS79Y
http://www.youtube.com/user/LindsayJayFitness
http://www.youtube.com/user/LolaAstanova
http://tinyurl.com/2ba72l6 [youtube dot com]

Serious-minded social networking for jocks.
https://players.introplay.com/

A virtual talking machine.
http://vozme.com/index.php?lang=en

Wanna make your own computer game?
http://www.3drad.com/

Social networking for movie lovers.
http://www.iheartmovies.com/

An FTP client is an application which makes it easy
to upload web pages (and their contents) to the internet.
FileZilla is a popular, Open Source FTP client (which Lisa
and I use).   http://filezilla-project.org/
FireFTP is a nifty FTP client which integrates with
Firefox.   http://fireftp.mozdev.org/
Wikipedia offers details about these and many other FTP
clients.   http://tinyurl.com/9otmvl [wikipedia dot org]

The last time I listed this site I wasn't sure exactly what
it did but Patrick Barden, our official go-to-guy when it
comes to figuring out web 2.0 stuff, explained it to me.
You pick the image and the site converts it into a puzzle,
a virtual jig-saw puzzle, which you may then reassemble.
http://befuddlr.com/

Even if you've no use for computer wallpaper, these
images, from the Hubble site, are worth seeing.
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/wallpaper/

Kids health.   http://kidshealth.org/

Much to explore on the World Wildlife Federation site.
http://www.worldwildlife.org/how/fun/index.html

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Eric Whiteacre's Virtual Choir.
http://bit.ly/dnA3je

This page intentionally left blank.
http://www.this-page-intentionally-left-blank.org/

Why nerds are unpopular.
http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

Fascinating facts and interesting stories.
http://didyouknow.org/

Why exercise won't make you thin.
http://bit.ly/16QZTi

Want to learn to wire feed weld? Yeah, me too!
how to mig weld, or wire feed weld.
http://eddiem.com/projects/mig/mig.htm
http://bit.ly/3t2oOq

I wish I'd been this wise at 29.
http://bit.ly/9eTF08

Here's to girl power.
http://www.girleffect.org/question

We must save the Pink Bathrooms.
http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/

An easy, fun, unusual job.
http://bit.ly/h2KzOw
Streetcorner sign spinning

Everything old is new again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_culture
http://www.coffeereview.com/reference.cfm?ID=183
http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/02/coffee-culture.html
http://bit.ly/fq1fbY

Say something nice-or mean.
http://quicksaysomethingnice.com/
http://quicksaysomethingmean.com/

This is about pumping iron-or is it?
http://theiron.tumblr.com/

Ask-A-Geologist a question, but be aware
they won't do your homework for you.
http://walrus.wr.usgs.gov/ask-a-geologist/

Vehicle pricing and information.
http://www.nada.com/

Remember grandma's cooking?
You can do it.
http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/

Be careful out there.
http://pleaserobme.com/

A nice drawing tool anyone can use.
http://www.myoats.com/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 371.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/flickrroseawards/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/queenrose/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/flowers_all_kinds/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/311925@N24/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/fabulous_flowers/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/flowercloseups/
http://dearblankpleaseblank.com/
http://www.artoflivingonline.com/
http://www.southernliving.com/
http://www.assistedlivingonline.com/
http://www.livingonlines.com/
http://www.iamworthwhile.org/
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/IAWA/

Section Three by Don.

A vast collection of digital art.   http://digitalart.org/
Nice wallpapers from the same source.
http://digitalart.org/art.wallpaper.php

I enjoy twitter.  I've made some great new friends there but
some folks are way too serious about it.  Like this site.
http://twittinsecrets.com/  (gimme a break)

Who's a Harry Potter fan?   http://www.cosforums.com/

Secrets of Egypt.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pyramids/
More on Egypt.   http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/menu.html

So, what do you think?   http://www.mochimention.com/

A nice site for kids.   http://www.neopets.com/

An app for Windows users who like to get 'under the hood'.
http://tinyurl.com/ys2zq2 [microsoft dot com]

Discover Babylon.   http://www.fas.org/babylon/
More where that came from.   http://www.fas.org/

'How to Discover Your Life Purpose in About 20 Minutes'
http://tinyurl.com/ftrun [stevepavlina dot com]

How many languages to you speak?
http://www.discoverlanguages.org/

Who's up for a virtual walk in the forest?
http://www.discovertheforest.org/

Who knew there was a real animal called a Firefox?
http://firefoxlive.mozilla.org/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

An unofficial guide to Craigslist.
http://notbarter.com/clguide_.html

Qigong, exercise for life.
http://www.qigonginstitute.org/main_page/main_page.php

There are beginner cooks, but hey, there are no
beginner eaters, so jump in and start.
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/

I keep this link handy when it's cold outside
and want to stay in and eat all day. Mmmm...
I'm thinking about hot dogs-with cheese.
http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Bob Sutton has a lot to say about work.
http://bobsutton.typepad.com/

The science behind the news.
http://whyfiles.org/

Why you should grow a giant beard.
http://www.biggerbetterbeards.org/

Why quit smoking? Get a clue.
http://whyquit.com/

Causes, treatment and prevention of knee pain.
http://www.bigkneepain.com/index.html

Astonishing MLS (house-selling) photos.
http://hookedonhouses.net/bad-mls-photos/

Protect yourself from fraud.
http://www.fraud.org/

Caricatures by Patrick Strogulski.
http://bit.ly/cepaSD

I found manuals for my old and new
stoves on this site. Pretty good results.
http://www.manualsonline.com/

Historical figures IDd with DNA.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/26381

I'm having a blast looking at
50's and 60's renovations.

Want help? Want to help?
http://2hands.org/

Unforgettable movie songs, with videos.
http://aol.it/9hHMmF

How addicted to Twitter are you?
http://theoatmeal.com/quiz/twitter_addict

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

Who needs gift tags?
http://www.khristianahowell.com/free-printable-gift-tags/

This story is fairly grusome.  Skip it if you're squeamish.
http://tinyurl.com/25cphfv [blogspot dot com]

Here's a very useful tool for Windows power-users.
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
Parted Magic is another terrific tool for power-users.
http://partedmagic.com/

This tool allows you to run a Linux live CD from within
Windows.    http://mobalivecd.mobatek.net/en/

Send a kid a phone call from Santa.
http://www.sendacallfromsanta.com/

A good site for young parents (or soon-to-be parents).
http://www.babble.com/

Send your parents, grandparents, family or friends a Tech
Support Care Package.   http://www.teachparentstech.org/

One interesting, ostensibly worthwhile, thing every day.
http://www.somethingworthwhile.com/

I can't say how worthwhile Vince's website actually is but
it's certainly interesting.   http://www.vincelewis.net/

Andre Gunther's website is an awesome place for aspiring
photographers.   http://www.aguntherphotography.com/

All sorts of interesting photos from the Smithsonian.
http://photos.si.edu/

When I got my first computer that had a DVD drive I was
very annoyed to learn that Win2K didn't have the built-in
ability to play movies and that Microsoft expected me to
buy software to play movies after I'd spent everything I
had on a new computer.  So I went looking for an alternative
and was very pleased to find the K-Lite Codec Pack.  That
was a few years ago but it remains a good media player with
lots of capabilities.   http://www.codecguide.com/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

How to get back up.
http://upfromsplat.com/

Oh, No! I'm pretty sure God wants me
to have a baby goat for a pet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdz97isFkl4

Flags of the World, and the Flag of the World.
http://flagspot.net/flags/

The common factors among healthy
ninety-year-olds.
http://www.longevitypyramid.com/

Help and info for consumers.
http://www.nclnet.org/

Thousands of lists.
http://www.listafterlist.com/

The languages of the world.
http://www.lexilogos.com/english/

Construct your own language.
http://www.zompist.com/kit.html

At the moment, this is the only vendor
I can find that offers a free CD of GIMP.
Let me know, anyone, if you need one
(if you only have a dial-up connection)
and I'll send it to you.
http://bit.ly/hKJ8jY

Help with your house plants.
http://www.plant-care.com/
http://www.houseplanthelp.com/
http://houseplants-care.blogspot.com/

Top 100 funniest movies of all time.
http://bit.ly/9TNMDB

Inspiration for fine living.
http://www.positivelybeauty.com/

Yummy winter comfort food.  I'm packin'
it on, folks, and it feels GOOD!
http://bit.ly/hrPdfa
http://bit.ly/gpOlmj
http://n.pr/1cT4Mi

Oscar Pistorius, blade runner.
http://bit.ly/hXKH8D
http://bit.ly/gEh4sh

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

LTT, Linux tips and tricks.   http://www.patoche.org/LTT/

A terrific learning resource for the Linux Command Line.
http://linuxcommand.org/

Dave Bechtel's Linux tips.
http://wolfrdr.tripod.com/linuxtips.html

Another Linux tips and tricks site.
http://linuxtipsblog.com/

Linux tips from a user group in South Australia.
http://www.linuxsa.org.au/tips/

'25 Linux tips for Windows switchers.'
http://tinyurl.com/lopxe7 [techradar dot com]

The Shuttleworth Founedation is a player in our changing
world.   http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/

A Little Humor.

This one is dated but seems right-on to me.

Last summer, the President and Mrs. Clinton were
vacationing in  their home state  of Arkansas.
On a venture one day, they stopped at  a service
station to fill up the car with gas.  It seemed
that the owner of the station was once Hillary's
high school love.

They exchanged hellos, and went on their way.

 As they were driving on to their destination, Bill
put his arm around  Hillary and said, 'Well, honey,
if you had stayed with him, you would  be the wife
of a service station owner today.'

 She smirked and replied, 'No, if I had stayed with
him, he would be President of the United States.'

---

A few from Irving Stein

While I sat in the reception area
of my doctor's office, a woman rolled an elderly man
in a wheelchair into the room. As she went
to the receptionist's desk, the man sat there, alone
and silent. Just as I was thinking I should make
small talk with him, a little boy slipped off
his mother's lap and walked over to
the wheelchair. Placing his hand on the
man's leg, he said, 'I know how you feel.. My
mom makes me ride in the stroller too.'

--

As I was nursing my baby, my cousin's six-year-old
daughter, Krissy, came into the room.  Never having

--

Out bicycling one day with my eight-year-old
granddaughter, Carolyn, I got a little wistful.

--

Working as a pediatric nurse, I had the difficult
assignment of giving immunization shots to children.

Tips for This Issue.

Mac OS X configuration tips.   http://mactips.dwhoard.com/

Mac hints and tips.   http://machintsandtips.com/

Mac life.   http://www.maclife.com/

Tips and tricks for numerous platforms and applications.
http://www.pctipsbox.com/
http://www.techpraveen.com/

Lora's computer game hints and tips.
http://www.angelfire.com/hero/tjekanefir/hints.htm

Lot's of info in numerous categories.
http://www.tipking.co.uk/

Computer talk.   http://www.maxsystems.com/computertips.html

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://romanroadwalker.posterous.com/ )

Is it raining in (name a city).   http://isitraining.in/

Daily to-do.   http://www.dailytodo.org/

Lots of interesting info.   http://www.makeuseof.com/

Free Christmas sheet music (portal).
http://tinyurl.com/26vpbnp [about dot com]

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Nicholas Felton is a man obsessed with minutia.
http://feltron.com/

How well do you know your landmarks?
http://www.guessthespot.com/

Design and architecture in media.   http://artect.net/

Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing
was ever made.   http://crookedtimber.org/

Tips for life.   http://www.dumblittleman.com/

A bronx cheer for the worst in media.
http://www.razzies.com/

The Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation.
http://www.calvin-coolidge.org/index.html
Calvin and Grace Coolidge and their pets.
http://www.davidpietrusza.com/coolidge-pets.html

Winston Churchill dot org.
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/

Russian life.   http://www.russianlife.com/index2.cfm

A cat portal.   http://www.pawsonline.info/index.htm

From our web-sibling Jerry Fox, all sort of annoying little
emoticons to put in your email.   http://www.postsmile.com/

Our web-sibling Norm Koeckritz sent me a cute little cartoon
entitled 'The First Senior Moment' only that's all I got,
the title, because the image somehow didn't get attached to
the email properly.  Given that the email was about senior
moments it seemed somehow appropriate that the image was
missing but my friend google helped me track it down.
http://www.animaltalk.us/the-very-first-senior-moment/

From our web-sibling John Lepse.

( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

A great alternative to Apple's cumbersome Quicktime player.
http://tinyurl.com/6kk4cz [free-codecs dot com]

My friend Crystal Edwards posted this weird but cute little
video to her twitter stream.  Only on the internet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWM2joNb9NE

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Jerry, Norm, John and Crystal.

Last word, from Lisa:

Don has been saying for some time that it would
be a good idea for us to book clubs as a duo.
I've been less than enchanted by the idea,
mainly because of self-consciousness, plus
a realistic view of my own talents.  Well,
now there's no help for it, a good friend
and Don were booked for New Year's Eve at a
local club and the friend became ill.  Don
has searched for alternatives and they all had
gigs for New Year's, so I'm it.  We've been
practicing and it's getting better, and fun!

So there's a remedy for stage-fright-sheer
necessity.  It'll be fine and the minute it's
over I'll want to do it again...right?...
c'mon...right?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and
Happy New Year to you all!

I wish you love, laughter and adventures.

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
9:19 PM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Construction.