[donspatch] 2010-12-01

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 00:22:29 -0600

#154 December 1, 2010 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

The home building adventure continues as we scrounge all
sorts of materials via freecycle and craigslist.  For
example, we acquired a small mountain of mostly good used
2x4's for a very modest investment.  It'll take me a few
days to clean all the nails out of them but I'm blessed
with tools and a sufficient supply of time and energy.
This week I'll be driving to various places in the region
to pick up more lumber, doors and some odd sized but
possibly useful windows.  My friend Rick Sprankle sings a
Waylon Jennings song about how he may be used but he ain't
used up.  Even though the context was somewhat different,
just lately I can somewhat identify with the sentiment.
I may be used, but I'm not used up....yet.

Increasing demands on our time and energy are making it
more and more difficult for us to meet our deadline for
this publication.  We love the ezine and we're very proud
to have over 350 loyal readers but we're having trouble
finding time for it.  Consequently we're going to switch
to a once monthly publication schedule beginning in 2011.
That'll give us more time for such things as gainful
employment and home building.  That, at least, is the
plan.  I'll let you know how successful it is.

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Section One by Don.

Helping kids in India.   http://www.careshare.org/

Don't try to clean the fan in your laptop.  This
cute vidio will give you an idea why you shouldn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ

Lots of trival info couched in numerous non-trivial
ads.   http://www.omg-facts.com/

David B. Bleak's war story is fascinating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_B._Bleak

New Zealand's Wellington International Ukulele
Orchestra has some cool new videos on their website.
http://ukulele.co.nz/

Parental discretion is advised for some of these cute
ecards.   http://www.someecards.com/

How much good can a few web clicks do?  I don't know
but they don't cost you anything.  What could it hurt?
http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html
http://www.thehungersite.com/

A virtual visit to Peru.   http://www.lifetimeperu.com/

I've seen and heard a lot of discussion about the
paperless office.  Here's an exploration of the topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_office
http://paperlessoffice.org/
http://www.asp101.com/articles/stanley/paperless/default.asp
http://www.paperlessdream.com/
http://tinyurl.com/2b3xf2z [greenerbilling dot com]
http://www.allbusiness.com/technology/925080-1.html
http://web.simmons.edu/~chen/nit/NIT%2792/133-fon.htm
http://www.brighthub.com/office/home/articles/91361.aspx

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Are you a history buff?  Great portal
site for more of what you crave.
http://www.besthistorysites.net/

Who is using the Internet and how.
http://bit.ly/bc1q7A

Academic encyclopedia for kids.
http://bit.ly/9BwVgW

Into rock climbing?  Better you than me.
http://safeclimbing.org/
http://usaclimbing.net/home.cfm
http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/

Are we smack in the middle
of several revolutions?
http://futureofless.blogspot.com/

Laptop reviews, news, buying guides, etc..
http://www.laptopmag.com/

Caring for, and about, wild birds.
http://bit.ly/elNRfH

Romain de Tirtoff, aka 'Erte',
the father of Art Deco.
http://www.erte.com/

Absolutely everything you need
to know about water heaters.
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/

An encyclopedia of Comic Book artists.
http://lambiek.net/artists/index.htm

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 371.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.thesuperficial.com/
http://www.morbidanatomy.blogspot.com/
http://www.sexyouall.net/
http://www.soilassociation.org/
http://www.resurgence.org/
http://www.thebalancingact.com/index.php
http://www.dlisted.com/
http://www.thesuperficial.com/
http://thissinglemomsurvives.blogspot.com/
http://anonymous8.com/
http://livinglukundane.blogspot.com/
http://patterns.endeca.com/content/library/en/home.html
http://www.tasteofawesome.com/
http://www.dollarshort.org/dollarshort/
http://www.errant-ronin.com/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/digital_camera_club/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/digital_beginners/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootdigital/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/lifepixel/
http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/
http://www.erraticimpact.com/
http://erraticwisdom.com/
http://eclecticlibrarian.net/blog/
http://eclecticmix.com/
http://kottke.org/
http://jamesict.com/
http://www.eclecticmethod.net/
http://rossching.com/

Section Three by Don.

A good site for anyone wanting to learn Spanish.
http://www.studyspanish.com/

Caregiver resources.
http://www.humana.com/resources/healthy_living/caregiver/

My web-friend Maggie has a website where victims of violence
can speak out.  http://violenceunsilenced.com/
She has a blog where she talks about some of her challenges.
http://okayfinedammit.com/
Lastly, she has a throw pillow with some profound words on
it.  These words are a formula for happiness.
http://yfrog.com/b748q0j

FLOSS (Free/Libre Open-Source Software) manuals and info.
http://en.flossmanuals.net/

This isn't a game I'm interested in buying but the story is
fascinating.   http://www.antimonopoly.com/

23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after
twelve hours of savage combat on September 17, 1862.
http://www.nps.gov/ancm/index.htm
More to explore.   http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

The header reads like it's against Masonry but the
site seems to actually be the opposite of that.
http://www.masonicinfo.com/

The anti-cancer diet.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t040300.asp
More to explore.   http://www.askdrsears.com/

Every day as I take my asthma medication, I wish I'd never
started smoking (I quit 6 years ago, when Lisa came to
Texas).   http://www.notobacco.org/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Hacking Ikea.
http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/

See it clearly.
http://www.2020site.org/

One of the most spectacular archealogical
finds ever was the discovery of King
Tutankamen's tomb in 1922.
http://bit.ly/igFlfw
http://www.touregypt.net/museum/tut.htm
http://bit.ly/alv3O5

Upload a file and share the
link, for up to a week.
http://www.senduit.com/

A popular blogging platform.
http://www.tumblr.com/

Pop culture news.
http://www.mrpopculture.com/

Lest we forget...
http://comptalk.fiu.edu/blacklist.htm

Thousands of free books.
http://www.classicreader.com/

Pre-talkies comedians.
http://www.silentcomedians.com/

Top ten lists.
http://www.toptenz.net/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

Malwarebytes is one of the best anti-malware apps I've ever
used and majorgeeks is an excellent, trustworthy place to
get all sorts of applications.  Fun to explore too.
http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756

Written a book?  Need a publisher?  Try doing it yourself!
http://www.blurb.com/

Beautiful photos, tutorials and more.
http://www.errantpixels.com/

Interesting reading.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27594458/Errant-Sovereign-Handbook

A couple of good home school resources.
http://eho.org/
http://www.eclectichomeschool.org/

Help for students of any age
http://www.webmath.com/
http://www.helpwithfractions.com/
http://www.algebrahelp.com/
http://www.math.com/

Help with:
Cooking.   http://www.helpwithcooking.com/
DIY.   http://www.helpwithdiy.com/
Gardening.   http://www.helpwithgardening.com/
Prescriptions.   http://www.ssa.gov/prescriptionhelp/
Banking.   http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/
Rent.   http://www.rentassistance.us/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

Twin community and info.
http://www.twinstuff.com/

Gritty, realistic art of the early
20th century, The Ashcan School.
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/a/ashcan.html

Looking for a great idea?
http://www.ideafinder.com/home.htm

Search 4 major encyclopedias, free.
http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/

Practical advice from experts.
http://www.sideroad.com/

Some simple ways to improve your eyesight.
http://bit.ly/fVwZ

Texas Dance Halls are an American Tradition.
http://www.texasdancehall.org/
http://dancehallsanddreamers.com/
http://www.honkytonktx.com/dancehalls/

Technews, sorted for easier search.
http://www.techmeme.com/

Why nerds are unpopular,
and a followup article.
http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html
http://www.paulgraham.com/renerds.html

Ideas for green living.
http://www.jetsongreen.com/

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

What's new with Linux?
http://distrowatch.com/
http://www.linuxjournal.com/news
http://www.linux-mag.com/
http://www.linuxtoday.com/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
http://www.linuxhq.com/
http://www.linuxjournal.com/
http://lwn.net/
http://oreilly.com/linux/
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/

What is Debian?  This is a good video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNzXSHBwHek

A Little Humor.

Billy Bob always wanted a job as a signalman on the
railways. To test Billy Bob's ability to be a signalman,
the railroad inspector met him at the signal box. The
inspector asked, 'What would you do if you realized that
two trains were heading for each other on the same track?'
Billy Bob replied, 'I would switch the points for one of
the trains.' 'What if the lever broke?' asked the
inspector. 'Then I'd dash down out of the signal box,'
said Billy Bob, 'and I'd use the manual lever over there.'
'What if that had been struck by lightning?' 'Then,' Billy
Bob continued, 'I'd run back into the signal box and phone
the next signal box.' 'What if the phone was engaged?'
'Well in that case,' persevered Billy Bob, 'I'd rush down
out of the box and use the public emergency phone at the
level crossing up there.' 'What if that was vandalized?'
'Oh, well then I'd run into the village and get my uncle.'
This puzzled the inspector, so he asked, 'Why would you
do that?' Billy Bob answered, 'Because he's never seen a
train crash.'

---

Heavenly Entrance Exam-Forrest Gump Style

The day finally arrived: Forrest Gump dies and goes to
Heaven. He is met at the Pearly Gates by Saint Peter
himself. The gates are closed, however, and Forrest
approaches the gatekeeper Saint Peter says, 'Well,
Forrest, it's certainly good to see you. We have
heard a lot about you. I must inform you that the
place is filling up fast, and we've been administering
an entrance exam for everyone. The tests are fairly
short, but you need to pass before you can get into
Heaven.'

Forrest responds, 'It shore is good to be here, Saint
Peter. I was looking forward to this. Nobody ever told
me about any entrance exams. I sure hope the test ain't
too hard; life was a big enough test as it was.

Saint Peter replies, 'Yes, I know Forrest. But, the test
I have has only three questions, and here they are:
First, what days of the week begin with the letter 'T'?
Second, how many seconds are there in a year?
Third, what is God's first name?'

Forrest goes away to think the questions over, and returns
the next day. Saint Peter then asks, 'Now that you have
had a chance to think the questions over, tell me your
answers.'

Forrest says, 'Well, the first one, how many days of the
week begin with the letter 'T'? Shucks, that one's easy;
that'd be Today and Tomorrow.

The saint's eyes opened wide and he exclaims, 'Forrest!
That's not what I was thinking, but... you do have a
point though, and I guess I didn't specify, so I give
you credit for that answer.' 'How about the next one?'
says Saint Peter, 'How many seconds in a year?'

'Now that one's harder,' says Forrest. 'But, I thunk
and thunk about that, and I guess the only answer
can be twelve.'

Astounded, Saint Peter says, 'Twelve! Twelve! Forrest,
how could you come up with twelve seconds in a year?'

Forrest says, 'Shucks, there gotta be twelve: January
second, February second, March second.......'

'Hold it,' interrupts Saint Peter. 'I see where you're
going with it. And I guess I see your point, though that
wasn't quite what I had in mind. I'll give you credit for
that one too.' 'Let's go on with the next and final
question.' says Saint Peter, 'Can you tell me God's
first name?'

Forrest says, 'Well, sure, I know God's first name.
Everybody knows it. It's Howard.'

'Howard?!' asks Saint Peter. 'What makes you think it's
Howard?!'

Forrest answers, 'It's in the prayer.'

'The prayer?' asks Saint Peter, 'Which prayer?'

'You know, The Lord's Prayer,' responds Forrest:
'Our Father, which art in Heaven, Howard be thy name'.

Tips for This Issue.

Mac tips and info.   http://www.thinkmac.net/

Fingertips: geek.   http://31bit.com/

AntiOnline is a massive forum site.
http://www.antionline.com/

Help with PC's.   http://www.helpwithpcs.com/

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://romanroadwalker.posterous.com/ )

For decades, readers have used the Page 99 Test to judge
the writing of a book before buying it. That's the idea
here... but with a twist.   http://www.page99test.com/

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Design and culture.   http://frikoo.com/

TV show endings, reunions and revivals.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/

International photography awards.
http://www.photoawards.com/en/

A good humor blog.   http://www.saynotocrack.com/

The website for the global pig industry.
http://www.thepigsite.com/

Open Office tips.   http://www.openofficetips.com/

Miss C is the mind behind several popular blogs.
http://misscellania.blogspot.com/
http://www.misscellania.com/
http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com/
http://www.mentalfloss.com/
http://www.neatorama.com/

Much to learn and explore.   http://educatedearth.net/

The impossible quiz.   http://www.impossible-quiz.com/
(me and my pal google got 19 out of 20 correct)

dezeen is a design magazine.   http://www.dezeen.com/

A sort of blog index.   http://www.blogcatalog.com/

An eclectic humor site.
http://philcoiinetnetau.blogspot.com/

A random collection of interesting tidbits.
http://www.futilitycloset.com/

National Hugging Day is less than a month away.
http://www.nationalhuggingday.com/

Sometimes a hug is all we need.
http://www.freehugscampaign.org/

You add it.   http://uaddit.com/

Wardogs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_warfare
http://www.uswardogs.org/
http://www.vet.utk.edu/wardog/
http://www.war-dogs.com/
http://www.qmfound.com/War_Dogs.htm

Our web-sibling Norm Koeckritz enjoyed these
photos of gas stations from the 1920's (me too Norm).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES6sPK-woTM

From our 'other brother' Bill (Beeyil) Lanoue.

( Bill's blog http://ncvietvet.blogspot.com/ )

Bill has become a big Linux fan, though he and his wife
Terri also own and use Windows machines.  He recently
switched his laptop from PCLinuxOS, which wasn't all
he hoped it would be, to Ubuntu and has written a couple
of times to tell my how much he likes it.
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Editor's note:  Lisa and I just installed Mepis on an old
laptop for one of our neighbors.  He's giving the machine
to his grandkids so we filled it with games and educational
apps.  He was very pleased with it.  http://www.mepis.org/

From our web-sibling John Lepse.

( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

John loved the images in this Boston Globe article.
http://tinyurl.com/3xvg5xu (me too John).

Yeah, it's a commercial but a cool one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo

This, on the other hand, isn't a commercial.  Very cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

John said he's been using Winstep Nexus for several days
now and really likes it.   http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp

From our web-sibling Marla, aka Not A. Shroom.
( http://www.google.com/profiles/notashroom#about )

A safety video about cats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYM-B9jAflM

From our web-sibling Irving Stein; Lyics and video on
youtube.   http://www.lyricstube.net/

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Norm, Bill, John, Marla and Irv.

Last word, from Lisa:

Don's had lots of work this week, so with that, my
work (which is a bit thin in the winter) and house
plans, it's been a wild week.

I've become a Craigslist junkie, and that's been
a lot of fun.  Now I check it right after I
check my email in the morning.  We've gotten some
great bargains and once our efficiency apartment is
done, I've got just about all we need to outfit it.
Here's the list of what we've gotten from Freecycle
http://www.freecycle.org/ , Craigslist and some
friends and neighbors.  Listed first is the item,
then our price, then the price of a comparable
item purchased new.  Keep in mind, most of
the items *aren't* new, just new to us and in
most cases require the expertise of the residing
Mr. Fixit (with shopping talent and extra hands
provided by Mrs. Fixit).

Materials for apt.
                      Scrounge    New

Shower stall...............100....800
    repl. towel rod.........16
Toilet.......................0....150
Bath vanity.................50....150
Vanity hdw...................5.....65
Medicine cabinet.............0.....50
Stove.......................60....400
Water heater................20....300
 *fibergl.kit...............18
5 cu.ft. freezer...........100....150
GE 18 cu.ft. fridge........100....500
Space heater.................0....100
Kitchen sink................10....125
Range hood..................05.....50
Ceiling fans-2-1w/lites......0.....75
6 1-light fixtures..........20....150
Daybed w/trundle-mattresses..0....400
     (loaner-purchase later)
r13 insulation 3 rolls.......1.....55
200 2x4s (used).............75....400
lots of free wood-short lengths

                           580...3920

* water heater had heavy rusting from
sitting on wet soil.  Treated with
Ospho  http://bit.ly/hYInES and then
bottom pan was reinforced with Bondo
fiberglass patch kit.
http://amzn.to/feworE

Apparently there's no rest for the wicked.

'Til next time, y'all,

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
12:22 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Construction.