[donspatch] 2010-11-01

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 00:02:06 -0500

#152 November 1, 2010 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

I'm something of a romantic so I really enjoyed
discovering American author Sulamith Ish-kishor,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulamith_Ish-kishor
and her wonderful short story, The Rose.
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/rose.asp

Lisa and I will be attempting to build a house over the
next few months.  It should be a very challenging adventure.
Doesn't that sound like we're living in interesting times?
Yeah, that's how it sounds to me too.  :)

Ever tasted a pickled quail egg?  We were in our favorite
meat market the other day (Miiller's Llano Smokehouse in
Llano, Texas) and treated ourselves to a pint jar of quail
eggs pickled with slices of jalapeño and carrots.  At about
$12 that little jar was costly but wow, it sure was worth
it.  Those things are good!  Now we're thinking maybe we
ought to be raising quail.  No, not as a cottage industry,
just so we can afford to eat more pickled quail eggs.  :)

See you next time.

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Section One by Don.

If you've time enough and curiosity to spare, here's
a site worth exploring.   http://www.helium.com/

Grab some sound or share it or whatever...
http://soundcloud.com/

A file viewer for, well, just about anything.
http://www.freefileviewer.com/

A busy web page but the product might be ok.
http://www.traction-software.co.uk/screengrabpro/

Here's yet another way to create to-do lists,
remember appointments/birthdays and schedule
yourself.   http://30boxes.com/welcome.php

Want a family tree?   http://www.geni.com/tree/start

Social networking for computer wallpaper junkies.
http://www.desktopnexus.com/

Social networking for Dogs,
http://www.uniteddogs.com/en/welcome
http://www.muttspace.com/
http://www.dogster.com/
Cats,
http://www.unitedcats.com/en/
http://www.catster.com/
Horses,
http://www.myhorseandme.com/beta/
http://www.horse-networks.com/
Rabbits,   http://www.bunspace.com/
Birds, (and bird watchers),
http://www.bird-networks.com/
http://www.birdfellow.com/
http://birdpost.com/
and animals in general.
http://www.lovemypets.com/
http://www.fuzzster.com/
http://thatanimalsite.com/
http://www.petsofstate.com/

No matter how much internet security software
you've got, in the end it comes down to you.
http://www.dhs.gov/files/events/stop-think-connect.shtm

Windows built in file compression is only good for zip files
and is awkward to use.   7-zip is 'geeky' but very versatile
and they have forums which can help you learn how to use it.
http://www.7-zip.org/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Fun and useful drawing lessons
which could also be translated
to digital drawing programs.
http://www.drawingcoach.com/

Mike McGrath shows you how to
garden without nasty chemicals.
http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/index.html

What to plant under trees.
http://bit.ly/aAXiqm

Take better travel photos.
http://www.fodors.com/travel-photography/

Scientific inquiry into extraordinary claims.
http://www.csicop.org/

Best and worst space food.
http://bit.ly/czDYVb
http://bit.ly/bp71rl

Reduce your chances of lost luggage,
and some good travel tips.
http://bit.ly/a3v9pa
http://bit.ly/cRoel8

Jewish news and commentary.
http://www.forward.com/

Tessellation World-lots of fun!
http://bit.ly/9vjPBS

Videos on how to make string figures.
http://www.gadan.it/strings/strindex.html

Entertaining websites that help kids learn.
http://clickschooling.com/

Doubts on technology.
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/

The art of Luis Perelman.
http://www.luisperelman.com/index.html

Crafts lost to history.
http://www.lostcrafts.com/index.html

If you can invent something, you can
probably figure out the patent process.
Here is some great advice and help.
http://www.uspto.gov/
http://bit.ly/9PAe3I
http://bit.ly/csJseQ
http://www.inventnet.com/help.html
http://bit.ly/2Mppll

50 greatest comedy sketches.
http://bit.ly/cPQQ98

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 372.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.youtube.com/user/paulandstorm?blend=4&ob=4
http://www.wethewomen.org/
http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/
http://www.designspongeonline.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrcoolvids
http://paulirish.com/
http://www.iwgia.org/
http://www.eonline.com/
http://www.emusic.com/
http://arpa-e.energy.gov/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/wof/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/335572@N25/
http://emedicine.medscape.com/
http://forums.e-democracy.org/
http://www.e-journals.org/
http://www.e-thepeople.org/home
http://www.ecommercetimes.com/
http://www.emagazine.com/
http://e-patients.net/
http://www.gutenberg-e.org/
http://www.esource.com/
http://www.e-daf.com/
http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/e-calculus.html
http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/
http://weburbanist.com/
http://www.nature.com/news/index.html
http://johnhawks.net/weblog
http://www.sciencemag.org/magazine.dtl
http://poprelics.com/
http://www.toughpigs.com/
http://www.educationaldesigner.org/
http://www.amateurgourmet.com/
http://www.lemondrop.com/
http://www.newsarama.com/
http://www.theawl.com/
http://www.cowboysindians.com/home/
http://www.adamsmithesq.com/
http://jezebel.com/
http://broadwayworld.com/
http://yesbuthowever.com/
http://www.commondreams.org/
http://1yesbut.wordpress.com/
http://www.location1.org/
http://www.energyandcapital.com/
http://www.getreallist.com/
http://www.jewlicious.com/
http://barbsblast.wordpress.com/
http://utmost.org/

Section Three by Don.

Fifty Open Source tools to make your life easier.
http://tinyurl.com/22vrrny [worldlabel dot com]
More where that came from.   http://blog.worldlabel.com/

Visual goodies.   http://www.burningpixel.com/

An educational resource.   http://educhoices.org/index.html

A collection of goodies from Doug Cox.
http://www.jdmcox.com/

Social networking for cooks.   http://www.bakespace.com/

Social networking for travelers.
http://www.couchsurfing.org/

If you're reluctant to donate your old computer because it
may contain sensitive and/or personal data, here you go.
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
http://www.killdisk.com/

This is very cool looking in Google Chrome but doesn't work
at all in my version of Firefox (Debian Iceweasel 3.5.12).
http://www.colorzilla.com/gradient-editor/
A nifty eyedropper color tool for Firefox.
http://www.colorzilla.com/firefox/

A very unbiased and informative site on the topic of motor
oil (in automobiles).   Think I'll switch to synthetic.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

Jameco is a company I've bought various electronic parts
from for years now.  They have a good collection of hobby
and educational electronic kits on their website.
http://tinyurl.com/23exntu [jameco dot com]

Want to let off some steam? [Warning: Strong language]
http://www.justanger.com/

A web 2.0 task management tool.   http://hitask.com/

Open Office has forked.  Here are some articles on
what this means to folks who use, and love, Open office.
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1879
http://tinyurl.com/27heyxs [networkworld dot com]
http://sspaeth.de/Private/LibreOffice_forks_away
http://www.ronniechung.com/blog/?p=1055
If you managed to wade through these articles, you may have
decided, as I have, to switch to Libre Office but don't do
it just yet.  Since Oracle acquired Open Office development
has languished and the Libre Office team is working hard
to incorporate a number of updates and improvements.  It's
likely to be a while before they release a fully tested,
stable version but that's going to be more than worth
waiting for.   http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/

Writers, are you up for trying you hand at screenwriting?
http://www.plotbot.com/

A useful tool for non-geeky Windows users.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

A few potentially usefull apps.
http://www.boozet.org/product.htm

Some fairly 'nerdy' apps for advanced users (ignore the
aggressive ads).   http://www.bartdart.com/

If you're interested in photography and wish to learn more
about it, here's a site which you might find helpful.
http://photojojo.com/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.
Beautiful, fascinating Termispheres.
http://termespheres.com/

Photos to share or post to any web page.
http://www.picturetrail.com/

Cool kitties!  http://bit.ly/cl8Ksf

Go, Pepper, go!  http://bit.ly/IAQ3V

Marc Johns serious drawings.
http://www.marcjohns.com/

Have questions about nudism?
http://www.aanr.com/faq-nudism-101

Start a campaign at The Point.
http://www.thepoint.com/

Parkour, philosophy and practice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM5aYOIbklI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E1ynmCanH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVKs4P2BnTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmv2UCFyS40

Kill that disk!
http://www.killdisk.com/

Create your own personal contact form,
a buffer to protect your email addy.
http://www.contactify.com/

Optimize your outdoor experience.
http://thoos.com/

Download and enjoy YouTube videos offline.
http://www.ultraget.com/

Customise and share your maps.
http://www.wayfaring.com/

A human-powered search engine.
http://www.mahalo.com/

Organize your music collection.
http://www.xdlab.ru/en/index.htm

Make your own antennas.
http://freeantennas.com/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

Dr Seuss trivia.
http://tinyurl.com/23jgajw [movietome dot com]
More where that came from.   http://www.movietome.com/

I think Pauline France is headed for becoming a 'Big Gun'
in the PR industry and that's awesome but what's even more
awesome to me is just to listen to her play the guitar
(click on 'Videos').   http://www.paulinefrance.com/
Here's a link to a cute little video that Pauline sent me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtjvVgNMPtI

Music therapy.   http://www.rhythmforgood.com/

Social networking for jocks (exercise enthusiasts).
http://www.fitlink.com/

Tales of Pirates is an online game.
http://top.igg.com/

Got any 'stuck' pixels on your LCD screen?
http://www.jscreenfix.com/

I hate rap, I bet you do too but hey, if it helps
your kids (or grandkids) learn something, well why not?
http://theweekinrap.com/

Dilbert is on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dilbert

Voicethread is a pretty cool collaboration platform.
http://voicethread.com/

Timez Attack is a fun educational game that teaches students
the multiplication tables and there's a version that's free
for home use.   http://bigbrainz.com/

Defrag simplified.
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

How about a Windows desktop that look like... well,
a desktop.   http://www.real-desktop.de/

If you have a huge, disorganized stack of
movies, here's something you might find useful.
http://www.coollector.com/

A website for anyone who misses 'the good old
days'.  http://www.retroland.com/

So, what do you think?   http://www.expotv.com/

I remember when every free website out there had some sort
of distasteful catch-22 attached to it but that seems to
be changing.  For example it's very easy to build your own
website with Google sites and cost free as well.  In fact,
if you have a gmail account, just sign in with it.
http://www.google.com/sites/
Here's another site that makes it look fairly painless and
easy to create your own site.   http://www.webs.com/

Here's a nerdy gadget.   http://www.launchy.net/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

A nice, useful little utility.
http://nerdcave.webs.com/

What's the Best Stuff in the world?
http://bestuff.com/

An online art community.
http://www.artgonia.com/

Find the real value of your collectible.
http://www.sportslizard.com/

Free stuff.
http://www.freestufftimes.com/

Open source video player.
http://www.getmiro.com/

Choose one...or the other.
http://www.left-or-right.com/

Free online word game.
http://www.playnetrek.org/index.html

A nice online photo editing program.
http://fotoflexer.com/

A small Windows utility to keep
an eye on your computer's processes.
http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm

An intelligent baby-name helper.
http://www.nymbler.com/

Keep track of your money and stuff.
https://www.billmonk.com/

Create and share lists.
http://www.listphile.com/

Score tracking for golfers.
http://www.oobgolf.com/

All about money on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/

How to go about finding vital records.
http://vitalrec.com/

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

A web portal to Linux web radio and podcasts.
http://www.thelinuxlink.net/

Going Linux is for computer users who just want to use
Linux to get things done.   http://goinglinux.com/

A hand picked collection of Linux art work and wallpapers.
http://gallery.linux.org.bd/

Marcel Gagné, writer, free thinker, Linux user.
http://www.marcelgagne.com/
Here's a link from his blog to a cute video
that takes a playful poke at Blackberry user.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bV7pM_HS70

People claim that Debian is just too geeky and there's no
live CD.  Well, that's silly, of course there is, you just
have to go to the live Debian site, click on archive, click
on images click on which version you like (5.0.6 is the
latest stable version),  select your architecture (mine is
i386), select ISO-CD, then decide whether you want a Gnome,
KDE, LXDE, Rescue, Standard or Xfce version and click to
download the appropriate ISO file.  Nothing to it.   ;)
http://live.debian.net/

A Little Humor.

Michael Jordan, Bill Gates, the Dali Lama, and a Hippie are
flying across the country. Suddenly the pilot rushes into
the cabin screaming, 'We are losing power and are going to
crash. There are 4 parachutes, and I am wearing one.' With
that he jumps out of the plane. Without a moment of
hesitation Michael Jordan jumps up and says, 'I am one of the
world's greatest athletes, and the world needs me.'  With
that he grabs the second parachute and jumps out of the
plane. Bill Gates then says, 'I am the world's smartest man,
and the world needs me.' He grabs a parachute and jumps out
of the plane. The Dali Lama turns to the Hippie and says,
'Son, I have lived a long and fruitful life. Please, take the
final parachute and jump to safety.' The Hippie wearing a sly
grin replies, 'Don't worry, we can both be saved. The
smartest man in the world just jumped out of the plane
with my backpack!'

Tips for This Issue.

10 tips for using a computer mouse.
http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/cumousetips.html

Computer tips on viideojug.
http://www.videojug.com/tag/buying-a-computer-useful-tips

35 Excel tips.
http://www.slideshare.net/srinatha/excel-useful-tips

A large collection of computer info from MindConnection.
http://www.mindconnection.com/library/computertips/

A couple of resources for Mac users.
http://www.usingmac.com/
http://www.mactricksandtips.com/

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://romanroadwalker.posterous.com/ )

This Firefox bookmarklet turns your browser screen, and
whatever web page you're on, into a shoot-em-up game
(playing instructions are on this web page as well).
http://erkie.github.com/

Write reviews of everything you buy (or read someone else's
reviews).   http://blippy.com/

This PDF document is an unofficial guide to facebook
privacy.  http://tinyurl.com/2fr9n5k [makeuseof dot com]

A thought Patrick expressed in a recent email:
---
Have you ever noticed that on products that have
multi-language warnings that the word 'warning' in
French is 'Avertissement'?  Have you noticed how
close it seems to the english word 'Advertisement'?

I wonder if that means we should consider an
advertisement to be a warning?  Based on most
ads, it seems sensible to me. :)
---
Editor's note:  Seems sensible to me too Patrick.

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Ninety-seven printmakers of all experience levels,
have joined together to produce 118 prints in any
medium; woodcut, linocut, monotype, etching, lithograph,
silkscreen, or any combination. The end result is a
periodic table of elements intended to promote both
science and the arts.
http://azuregrackle.com/periodictable/table/

More intelligent life.   http://moreintelligentlife.com/

American Presidents blog.
http://www.american-presidents.org/

A host of online games.   http://www.candystand.com/

A strange but interesting, multi-authored blog.
http://tsutpen.blogspot.com/

Apartment therapy.   http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

Reader's Digest online.   http://www.rd.com/

Song lyrics.   http://www.lyricsmode.com/

Interesting things to see.   http://www.behance.net/

Interesting letters.   http://www.lettersofnote.com/

There's a lot to explore on Kim McFarland's site.
http://www.c4vct.com/kym/negapage.htm

Mattias Adolfsson's intriguing illustrations.
http://mattiasa.blogspot.com/

Sports cliches, jargon and lingo.
http://www.sportscliche.com/

From our craft-happy web-sibling Vinette (Vi)
DePhillipe, have a lok at Won Parks dollar Origami.
http://artbns.com/won-park-dollar-origami/

From our web-sibling Jerry Fox, check out these DIY
movies of outer space made by a father and son team.
http://tinyurl.com/296582h

From our daughter, Lily Keltch, a Radio Flyer wagon for
grownups.   http://tinyurl.com/3xhfq9b [ktuu dot com]

From our web-sibling Norm Koeckritz, artist Kaziah Hancock
is a truly beautiful human being.  The link Norm sent went
bad before I could use it but I found the same video on
youtube.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it7NQBN-lO0
While I was at it, I found another video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euUCEBifvIc

From our web-sibling John Lepse.

( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

TV moments that forever changed us.
http://tinyurl.com/2388574 [aarp dot org]

From our web-sibling Irving Stein.

Dave's computer tips.   http://www.davescomputertips.com/

Martha's web is chock full of computer lore, stuff, and
nonsense.   http://www.marthas-web.com/

How often should you change the oil in your car?
http://tinyurl.com/2ax2gv8 [clarkhoward dot com]

Internet fixes.   http://www.internetfixes.com/

Spiritual/religious content.   http://worriersanonymous.org/

Some Mexican authorities are upset by Arizona's new laws.
http://tinyurl.com/2ck5b8x [snopes dot com]

CCleaner users, they've just released a new version.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

From our web-sibling Dan Urban, an eagle throws a goat off
a cliff!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2AINr0kJE

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Vi, Jerry,
Lily, Norm, John, Irv and Dan.

Last word, from Lisa:

We're in full get-up-and-go scrounge mode,
thinking ahead whenever possible to acquire
some of the materials for building a house.
Also important; paring down our personal
possessions so we can calculate how much
we really need and, consequently, how much
room we'll need.  All in all no mean feat
and plenty of soul-searching required.

A friend who's built several houses has
told me that whatever happens, don't
forget to enjoy the process-we'll find
out a lot about ourselves meanwhile.
That's kind of what I was afraid of...
*grin*

'Til next time,

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Monday, November 1, 2010
12:02 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Construction.