[donspatch] 2010-10-15

  • From: "Don & Lisa" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:23:47 -0600

#133 January 15, 2010  from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

We got new stuff y'all.  I've long wanted to be able to
easily interact more with our readers (am I not always
harping about how I want to hear from you?) so I set up
an email group for any of you who wish to participate.

What's an email group?

Well, you subscribe to it, like you did to this ezine,
but you can also send mail to the group.  When you post
to the group address, your post is forwarded to all
members of the group.  You also receive everything
posted by other members of the group.

What's the point?

Whatever you want it to be.  You can use the list to
ask or answer questions about whatever interests you.
Like this ezine, it's non-topical but loosely focused
on computers, the internet and how they affect our
lives and lifestyles.

Would I be getting a lot more email?

Probably not but if the list did get busy you could
switch to the digest mode and cut it down to about
one email per day.

Ok, where do I subscribe?

Ah, there's the rub.  We're security freaks and we
don't want people using our email group to send
advertising.  Like our ezine, our email group is
strictly non-commercial.  If you want to join,
go to our contact page and send us an email telling
us you'd like to subscribe to our email discussion
group and say a few words about why you'd like to
join (we just want to ascertain that you're a real
person) or you can just tell me the the opposite of
'left off' and I'll subscribe you.  Don't forget to
tell me the address under which you wish to subscribe
if it's different from the one you use to contact us.

http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

---

Lisa's been spending most of her spare moments
(and a few that weren't spare) playing with google
wave and she's set up a google discussion group for
her waving buddies but that's a 'whole nuther thing'
and she'll tell you about that in her closing
statement.

I sure hope a few of you are willing to give our
email discussion group a try.  Remember, you can
always unsubscribe if it doesn't suit you.

Call me Scrooge but this year all I wanted for Christmas
was for the holidays to be over so I got just what I
wanted.  How about you?

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Lisa-Miller/100000537499890

blogger.
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Section One by Don.

A fellow on aarvark.com asked how he could lower his
'bundle' cost for TV, internet and telephone.  I've
mentioned all of these things before but I 'bundled'
them to answer the fellow's question. I told him:
'Lose the bundle amigo.'
Start by building yourself a digital antenna...
http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/
http://lifehacker.com/5138746/build-your-own-dtv-antenna
...and settle for whatever you can get off-air on the
TV.  Get a basic telephone package with basic DSL and
no long distance.  Then get an account with pioneer
telephone for long distance.
http://www.pioneertelephone.com/
...since we switched to pioneer for long distance our
bill has averaged two dollars a month.  This month it
was $0.84.  Also, request a google voice account...
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/
...which will enable you to make free long distance
calls to anywhere in the US and Canada.  Calls to
other countries aren't free but are very reasonable.
Google voice works with your regular land-line
telephone, has many other features which you may find
useful and, more importantly, is free.  Check it out.
http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Digital photography and taking better pictures.
http://www.supermediastore.com/article/u/sanoftentipf
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Better-Photographs
http://tinyurl.com/leany   [hp dot com]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJ8pPSEW6k (cute video)
http://lbguides.com/
http://tinyurl.com/ba97ey   [kodak dot com]

http://www.imaging-resource.com/BETTERPICS.HTM

In tight times it's always good to do it yourself.
http://www.diynetwork.com/
http://www.doityourself.com/
http://www.instructables.com/
http://www.diyideas.com/
http://www.5min.com/
http://www.diylife.com/
http://www.diyonline.com/
http://www.diyplanner.com/
http://dailydiy.com/
http://www.diyhappy.com/
http://www.diybride.com/
http://diydrones.com/
http://www.designspongeonline.com/category/diy-projects
http://tinyurl.com/m2dh2a   [energysavers dot gov]
http://www.diylounge.com/
http://www.bobvila.com/
http://www.diyaudio.com/
http://www.passdiy.com/
http://diyaudioprojects.com/
http://www.diychatroom.com/
http://www.refdesk.com/doitself.html (portal)

Google Chrome bug (say what?).
Possible explanation...
http://tinyurl.com/cgq7y9 [blogspot dot com]
Nuther (more plausible?).
http://www.farmafricapresents.org.uk/buy/item/2
Now this is just silly, um, isn't it?
http://www.goat-trauma.org/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

The key to finding information on the web is a working
knowledge of how to search.  Here are some resources.
http://snipurl.com/ty78i
http://hanlib.sou.edu/searchtools/
http://www.sc.edu/beaufort/library/pages/bones/bones.shtml
http://www.pandia.com/goalgetter/
http://www.monash.com/spidap.html

Don't you hate to sign up or register just to get the
info you want?  Tell 'em to 'bug me not'.
http://www.bugmenot.com/

How to do lots of things.
http://www.findhow.com/

Great reading delivered to your inbox.
http://www.dailylit.com/

I think of Digital Inspiration as my daily updated
library of cool things digital.
http://www.labnol.org/

50 ways to never waste food again.
http://snipurl.com/ty78s

Some things to do if your Gmail account is hacked.
http://snipurl.com/ty7ji

You can listen to podcasts on your phone.
http://www.podlinez.com/

Scientific questions and answers applied to
everyday life.   http://www.newscientist.com/

Social commentary through graphic images.
http://www.graphicwitness.org/
http://www.thegraphicimperative.org/
http://www.cwluherstory.org/CWLUGallery/graphcoll.html

People do nice things every day.  I can prove it.
http://www.thanks-o-meter.com/

Great meals made easy.
http://www.notakeout.com/

An easy way to plan events.
http://whichdateworks.com/Editor.aspx

Birdhouse for your soul.
http://www.eod.com/blog/2009/11/birdhouse-for-your-soul/

Free school stuff.   http://freeology.com/

Paul Hogan was an accomplished comedian long before
he was Crocodile Dundee.   http://snipurl.com/tyb5y

A masterful and disturbing short film; Alma.
http://almashortfilm.com/

Add, review and learn about thousands of types of beer.
http://tincorporated.com/projects/97-bottles/

Create your own podcast, or at least see how it's done.
http://huffduffer.com/

Finding Evan Ratliff.
http://www.wired.com/vanish/2009/11/ff_vanish2/

How to access some of the enormous potential of the
deep web.

The Deep Web is thousands of times bigger than than the
Surface Web.  Access some of it's hidden potential.
http://brightplanet.com/
http://www.freepint.com/gary/direct.htm
http://infomine.ucr.edu/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 380.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.scopeknowledge.com/
http://www.informationweek.com
http://searchengineland.com/
http://paidcontent.org/
http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/
http://ebling.library.wisc.edu/rss/
http://www.myfavoritejournals.com/
http://zetoc.mimas.ac.uk/rssjnllist.html
http://www.myjournals.org/
http://www.terkko.helsinki.fi/feednavigator/
http://www.tictocs.ac.uk/
http://www.citeulike.org/journals/
http://www.scifeeds.com/
http://www.cochrane.org/multimedia/colloquium_2009/
http://mashable.com/

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/

Section Three by Don.

Sometimes I want to read the news,
sometimes I just want to look at pictures.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/

Yet another large collection of recipes.
http://www.evernewrecipes.com/

A search engine for shopaholics.
http://morastore.com/

A blogging catalog and resource.
http://www.blogcatalog.com/

Still another social networking concept.
http://friendfeed.com/

These guys make their hobby sound more like a sport.
http://lumberjocks.com/

This is supposed to be a social bookmarking site but, to
me, it more closely resembles an infomercial on steroids.
http://www.jumptags.com/

Can't get enough email forwards?  This seems to be where
they all wind up.   http://www.kingofforwards.com/

Interesting images.   http://www.lifecultural.co.cc/

Once in a rare while the bad guys take one on the chin.
http://tinyurl.com/yangcby  [pcworld dot com]

By now I'm sure everyone has heard about Firefox and
Thunderbird but how much do you know about the
organization behind them?   http://www.mozilla.org/

How much does Leo Laporte weigh today?  His scale posts
daily results to twitter.  http://twitter.com/leos_scale

How much do you know about triobites?
http://www.trilobites.info/

Fossils online.   http://www.fossilsonline.com/

Clear answers for common questions.
http://www.wisegeek.com/

This really bugs me.   http://www.cirrusimage.com/

I think question answering site is aimed at small devices
like iphones and such.  http://www.chacha.com/

Lots of earthy things to explore.
http://www.earthlife.net/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Art is everywhere.   http://artinmycoffee.com/

Create your own fonts.
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

Need to know detailed information about a nonprofit?
http://www2.guidestar.org/Home.aspx

The art of m.s.hove.  Different and amazing.
http://www.mshove.com/index.htm

Informative and fun info from USGS.
http://www.usgs.gov/

We can learn lots of kitchen basics from the pros.
http://www.chef2chef.net/learn-to-cook/
http://www.learntocook101.com/

Graphics talk, tips and tutorials.
http://www.graphics.com/

Media in information literacy for young people.
http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/index.cfm

Literacy, once in decline, has made a
serious comeback with the Internet.
http://snipurl.com/tyfd2

Webmonkey is one of the premier web resources.
A look around will show that they have something
for nearly everyone, from web pros to the rest of
us who would an explanation or tutorial about what
we see on the web.
http://www.webmonkey.com/

Stephenie Myer, the author of the 'Twilight' series.
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/index.html

We just love favicons, little bits of web goodness.
http://www.genfavicon.com/
http://www.favicon.co.uk/index.php
http://www.favicon.cc/

This Week In Google-videos about Google and
Cloud Computing.   http://snipurl.com/tyfk8

Cloud Computing, pure Internet-based computing,
has been workable and available for a couple of years.
http://www.thinkgos.com/

America's farmers fueling America's truckers.
http://www.biotrucker.com/

Resources for students and educators.
http://www.readwritethink.org/

Free and legal music downloads by new and
established artists.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/

The #1 Vincent Van Gogh site for good reason.
http://www.vangoghgallery.com/misc/bio.html

Create or search for a database.
http://www.factual.com/

YouTube is a great educational tool, too.
http://snipurl.com/tyft1

Once in a great while, a doctor has to perform
surgery on him/herself.  Hard to imagine...
http://snipurl.com/tyftr

Videos on how to do things.   http://www.howcast.com/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

More icky bugs.   http://bugguide.net/

Once again we're flirting with the concept of losing weight
(seems to be a perennial proclivity) and have discovered
Jorge Cruise, who makes it seem doable (if not painless).
http://jorgecruise.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/jorgecruise
http://twitter.com/jorgecruise

The DIY version of this non-lethal weapon is considerably
less lethal than the US DOD version.
http://www.ladyada.net/make/bedazzler/index.html

The concept is to download phsysical objects...
http://theproductbay.org/
...but it's still in um, I'd call it pre-beta and it's
a sort of conceptual spin-off of this site.
http://www.thingiverse.com/

Is this ever-cool, or over-kill?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYedBMmmzY

Interesting photos, great music on the right-hand side-bar
or scroll down for some nice videos.
http://www.kimock.com/multimedia/

Used stuff.  Imagine a cross (I think the hip nomenclature
is 'mashup') between amazon and craigs list.
http://www.cheapused.com/

A sort of online shopping portal for pet accessories.
http://www.flealess.org/

Pets on the edge.
http://tinyurl.com/y9lpmjl   [itworld dot com]

Learn to do noisy stuff.   http://audio.tutsplus.com/

Commercial networking for starving musical artists.
http://www.reverbnation.com/

Jason Shadrick is one of the fellows I follow on twitter,
mainly so I won't miss stuff like this Joe Henderson
interview.   http://tinyurl.com/yckv4qo

Images from and videos about NASA's Wide-field Infrared
Survey Explorer (WISE).   http://tinyurl.com/yexeuxr

KDE is the Linux desktop that convinced both me and Lisa to
switch to Linux.  We may never have switched if this project
had come along a little earlier.  KDE for Windows.
http://windows.kde.org/  (It's open source too.)

This one seems to be more of a concept than a reality but
the notion is fascinating...   http://socialdesktop.org/
...and is conceptually connected with the openDesktop
project.   http://opendesktop.org/  I looked at the website
and asked myself 'what the heck is openDesktop.  It took me
a while to find the 'about' page.
http://opendesktop.org/help/about.php

I don't recall what I was searching for when I stumbled
across teacher Colette Cassinelli but I was very impressed
by her ed-tech blog...   http://edtechvision.org/
...her google tools for teachers...
http://sites.google.com/site/colettecassinelli/
...and her Tech Tip Tuesday collaboration with Mary Fran
Lynch.   http://sites.google.com/site/techtipstuesday/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

Six very unusual artists.
http://snipurl.com/tyfyl

Guard your Facebook privacy.
http://snipurl.com/u1h03

Why email was invented.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLb14MnIbtw

Super User is a collaboratively edited question
and answer site for computer enthusiasts.
http://superuser.com/

Guide to money’s influence on U.S.
elections and public policy.
http://www.opensecrets.org/

As much as I love Google products, there
are plenty of effective alternatives.
http://snipurl.com/u1hbv

The amazing transient art of Jim Denevan.
http://www.jimdenevan.com/

Your New Year's Resolution Tracker.
Simple, personal, private, effective.
http://resolution-tracker.appspot.com/

Directory of Open Access Journals.
http://www.doaj.org/

An updated version of the Facebook
privacy article mentioned previously.
http://goo.gl/5jxf

Pysanky, Ukrainian Eggs, by Barbara Novak.
An excellent site, an exquisite art form
and a wonderfully talented artist.
http://graphicoriginals.com/pysanky.html

If you lose your wallet, you need to call and cancel
your cards quickly.  But wait...the numbers are
on the cards.  Wallet Garden is an answer.
http://walletgarden.com/

Join the fight against phishing.
http://www.phishtank.com/index.php

Want your computing to be more mobile?
Try an online OS.
http://snipurl.com/u1hec

Wouldn't it be nice if someone could
remember all your warranty info
so you could forget it?
https://www.warrantyelephant.com/

Travel Ephemera from the 1920s and '30s.
http://www.travelbrochuregraphics.com/

And now for some timely advice on
beating colds and flus.
http://quanta-gaia.org/health/coldsAndFlu.html

Recover lost data or image files with DiskDigger.
http://dmitrybrant.com/diskdigger

The story of Marla Olmstead.
http://snipurl.com/u1hgn
http://www.marlaolmstead.com/home.html

A cool online picture book.
http://www.bemboszoo.com/

I enjoyed this TED talk by Stefana Broadbent.
http://snipurl.com/u1hhg

Need to write a nice letter?
http://www.niceletter.com/

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

Yet Another Linux Blog.   http://linux-blog.org/

Helpful Linux tidbits (a blog).
http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/

There's a lot of controversy going on in
the Linux community over this lawsuit.
http://tinyurl.com/yck78rb    [informationweek dot com]

10 operating systems you've never heard of.
http://tinyurl.com/ybn32nj   [techradar dot com]

Wine has become a surprisingly functional platform for
running Windows apps on a Linux system.  Of course there
aren't many Windows apps I use anymore but I'm still fond
of one or two Windows freeware apps from my friend Johannes
Walroth...  http://www.programming.de/  ...and installing
them couldn't be easier because they're stand-alone
executables which simply open in wine when you double-click
on their .exe files.  Still, there are a few popular Windows
apps which are a bit more complicated and one good
way to install them is to use a spiffy little Linux app
called wine-doors.   http://wddb.wine-doors.org/

To find out whether or not your favorite Windows app will
run on Linux, under wine, check the wine wiki.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FrontPage

Frank Hendriksen's site also offers a lot of info on how to
run Windows apps on Linux.   http://frankscorner.org/

Just lately it seems that reading about what's new
in Linux is becoming more and more interesting.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/

Adios Mr. Gates.   http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/

A Little Humor.

A Texas Joke from web-sibling Norm Koeckritz.

Near Fredericksburg, Texas, where there is a large
German-speaking population, a farmer walking down
a country road notices a man drinking from his
pond with his hand.

The farmer shouted:  'Trink das wasser nicht.
Die kuhen haben dahin gesheissen.'

(Which means: 'Don't drink the
water, the cows have messed in it.')

The man shouted back: 'I'm from New York and just
down here campaigning for Obama's health care plan,
I can't  understand you.  Please speak in English.'

The farmer replied: 'Use two hands, you'll get more.'

~~~

From our web-sibling Terri Lanoue.

A man with a gun went into a bank and demanded their money.
Once he was given the money, he turned to a customer and
asked, 'Did you see me rob this bank?' The man replied,
'Yes sir, I did.' The robber then shot him in the temple,
killing him instantly.  He then turned to a couple
standing next to him and asked the man, 'Did you see
me rob this bank?' The man replied, 'No sir, I
didn't, but my wife did.'

~~~

A wise quotation sent by our web-sibling Gordon Milligan:

'When you wake up in the morning, Pooh' said Piglet at
last, 'what's the first thing you say to yourself?'
'What's for breakfast?' said Pooh.
What do you say, Piglet?'
'I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?'
said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
'It's the same thing', he said.

A. A. Milne

---

My old and dear friend Dee Jordan says:

'My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day.  She has her food
prepared for her. She can eat whenever she wants,
24/7/365.  Her meals are provided at no cost to her.
She visits the Vet once a year for her checkup, and again
during the year if any medical needs arise.  For this she
pays nothing, and nothing is required of her. She lives in
a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than she
needs, but she is not required to do any upkeep.  If she
makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.  She has her
choice of luxurious places to sleep.  She receives these
accommodations absolutely free.  She is living like a queen,
and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever.  All of her costs
are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every
day.  I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit
me like a brick in the head, Good grief, my dog is a Democrat!'

To which I replied:

Not at all,  your dog firmly believes that other folks,
who're far less well off than she is, are supposed to foot
the bill for her excesses as if she had some sort of
divine right to a free ride.  Your dog is quite clearly a
Republican.

To be honest, I know next to nothing about politics but
I couldn't pass up a chance to contradict Dee.  She was
born and raised in Coventry (England) but has lived in
Texas for a number of years and fancies herself politically
astute which, for all I know, she may be but I tend
to agree with our Australian web-sibling Michael Harding
who pointed out to me that, based on the best understanding
he could get from Australian media, he couldn't tell one U.S.
political party from another.

Tips for This Issue.

How to download youtube videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4lmuFGzKYM

Solid advice for any Windows user.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQNtNlo7nrE

What is a web browser?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrXPcaRlBqo
Editor's note:  We recommend you install and learn to
use several different browsers.  All of the following
are available for Windows, Mac and Linux:
Firefox.   http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Google Chrome.   http://www.google.com/chrome
Opera.   http://www.opera.com/browser/
Seamonkey comes as a suite of apps but is still
worthwhile if you have sufficient disk space.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://lookeewhatifound.blogspot.com/ )

A weather site I have been using a lot lately.  The site
has a much cleaner, faster loading interface that is not
muddied with too much stuff. The site seems to be able
to auto detect as when I first visited it went straight
to my local forecast.   http://www.foreca.com/

One of my favorite puzzle types and sites.  Griddlers
consist of a grid with numbers and colors along the
top and left side. By matching them and filling in
the main grid a picture is made. Think of them as paint
by numbers mixed with a bit of a logic puzzle.
http://www.griddlers.net/default.jsp

Hate going to a favorite blog or other site and not
being able to comfortably read it because of small
text, bad color choices, or tons of flashy ads and
graphics? Readability sets up a bookmarklet (a program
that sits in your bookmark folder) and lets you take
almost any page and have it converted to a plain text
page with large readable text. For the visually
impaired it is a godsend.
http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

A nice collection of online games.
http://play.escapegames24.com/

Cute nonsense.   http://sendables.jibjab.com/

Heavy stuff.   http://www.shegoddess.com/

Assorted interesting videos.   http://www.chilloutzone.to/en

Reducing a high-tech cleaning appliance to a low-tech robot.
http://hackingroomba.com/

Book reviews.   http://www.bookforum.com/

Mad magazine's chief competitor.   http://www.cracked.com/

From our web-sibling Jerry Fox.

The sort of soldier I'd want to share a foxhole with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7968BbMnU

More on the health care controversy.
http://tinyurl.com/yaep2hh   [blogspot dot com]

From our 'other brother' Bill (Beeyil) Lanoue.

( Bill's blog http://ncvietvet.blogspot.com/ )

It's what's for dinner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnywDA8VJZM

From our web-sister-in-law Terri Lanoue.

This guy is so picky.
http://www.toothpickcity.com/

From our web-sibling John Lepse.

( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

All you need, anywhere in the world.
http://tinyurl.com/ydhqgdk   [flixxy dot com]

There oughta be a law.
http://tinyurl.com/lntts4   [smithsonianmag dot com]

From our friend Lee Parmeter who is also the mind-behind
our local Highland Lakes Linux Users Group.

http://www.hllug.org/

How social networking works.
http://tinyurl.com/yz99z3x   [itworld dot com]

From our web-sibling Bob Tegner.
( http://bobtegner.wordpress.com/ )

Assorted media presentations, some of which are large.
http://supertremendous.com/

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Jerry, Bill,
Terri, John, Lee and Bob.

Last word from Lisa.

Google Wave has been my obsession of choice for
the last couple of weeks.  For those of you who
have a Wave account and are beginning to play
with it, we've changed the name to Our Patch,
which reflects our focus a little better.  I'm
attempting to adapt our ezine to the new Wave
technology, keeping up with progress.  It's
written by Don, me and the participants in that
particular wave.  That's what Wave is, among
many other potential uses-a collaborative
communications platform that will transform
the way we communicate and interact.  Here is
our address on Wave, if you already have an
account:

googlewave.com!w%252BSs4wQ2DEA

Editor's note:  This isn't a URL and can't be
used as such.  It's a google wave ID that can
be pasted into the Wave search window.

If you'd like to request an invitation to Google
Wave, we were issued invitations to give out.
Please go to our Contact page and write us a short
note telling us you'd like an invitation and why.
It's not a test, we just want to make sure you're
a real person.

http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

We've also started a Google Group for Wave
discussion, help, collaboration and hangin' out.
It's called Our Patch Wavers.  You can request an
invitation from us by going to our Contact
page and writing a brief note about why you'd
be interested in joining.  Again, it's not a test,
we just want to make sure you're a real person.

http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Generally speaking, I'm not an early-adopter
of anything.  If aspirin were discovered today,
I'd wait 10 years and let several million people
pre-test it for me.  But in my opinion Wave will
change the way we do so many things, to me it's
worth the steep learning curve and annoyingly
slow loading.  In the meantime I've had to learn
to set up and manage a Google Group and a
Freelists mailing list, among many other
horribly tedious and geeky tasks. Surely this
will pay off in the long run...right?

---

Here in Texas, it's been cold, cold, cold.  Does
anyone remember hot water bottles?  Oh, my...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_water_bottle

They're a bit hard to find but nothing beats them
for getting to sleep if you have cold feet.  Once
in awhile I'll wake up and mine is still warm after
3-4 hours.  I love my hot water bottle.

From October until March I'm not allowed to touch
Don with my feet.

Life is good, love is wonderful and Texas is cold.

'Til next time,

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Lisa-Miller/100000537499890

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Thursday, January 14, 2010
6:30 PM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.