[donspatch] 2009-12-01

  • From: Don Crowder <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 04:56:40 -0600

#130 December 1, 2009  from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  http://www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

I think I'm the busiest unemployed fellow I know.  The
music 'bidnez' (that's Texan for 'business') is real
good just lately and my life seems to be filled with
minor projects.  I can't remember if it was a website,
t-shirt or a bumper sticker but I saw one that said
'It's always something'.  Yeah, that sums it up nicely
and I'm not complaining.  It keeps a jingle in my jeans
and I never get bored.  So here it is four-thirty in
the morning and I'm just wrapping up this issue.
Lisa's long since finished her part and gone to bed.
I'm very fortunate to be married to a woman who's
tolerant of my casual approach to the concept of time.
It's only possible to suggest that I keep normal hours
if one is willing to accept an extremely liberal
definition of the word 'normal' but this is near the
extreme side of normal, even for me, so I'm going to
hit the shower, read a couple of pages and fire
up my CPAP machine.  Um, in case that drew a blank,
the CPAP machine is a sort of compressor that blows
air in my face while I'm sleeping.  It's used to
control sleep apnea.  I think sleep apnea is more of
a disability than a disease though I'm not sure.
I know it causes me to periodically stop breathing
when I'm asleep and the machine helps to keep me
breathing normally.  I assume it works but I don't
know for sure because I always fall asleep when
I put it on. *grin*

I hope my fellow American readers had a great
Thanksgiving and I hope all my readers have
plenty to be thankful for.  We certainly do.

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Section One by Don.

An aspiring songwriter asked me for
a list of useful internet resources.
http://www.taxi.com/
http://www.awritersparadise.com/
http://www.songwritersresourcenetwork.com/
http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/
http://www.ultimatesongwriting.com/
http://www.musesmuse.com/
http://www.tribeofnoise.com/
http://www.jlsc.com/
http://www.songwritingcompetition.com/
http://www.unisong.com/

To me, the best music comes from the fusion which occurs
when talented people work together.  This little video
was made to be educational but the simplicity of the
presentation and the music itself does not, in my opinion,
detract from the wonderful fusion of Wynton Marsalis and
Yoyo Ma.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQaASwkqi9E
Of course someone as talented as Yoyo Ma is powerful enough
to bring enchantment to even the most unlikely fusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sFEuEuTYM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GczSTQ2nv94

A therapy for trauma/posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
and substance abuse.   http://www.seekingsafety.org/

A PBS program (video) about America's national parks.
http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/

Home employment opportunities.
http://workathomemomrevolution.blogspot.com/

World rankings and records.   http://www.aneki.com/

Your browser homepage (also called a 'start page') is a
very valuable and much coveted piece of virtual real
estate.  The ability to present you with demographically
targeted advertising is, quite literally, worth billions
and one means of doing that is via your browser homepage.
If you're like most people, your browser homepage is set
to Yahoo, MSN or your internet service provider's home
page.  In which case, they win, you're doing exactly
what they want you to do.  If you chose to be more
independent you can set your browser homepage to your
favorite search engine (mine is set to google) or, if
you want extra bells and whistles, without viewing any
ads, try igoogle...
http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&source=iglk
...which, after you log in, will allow to customize the
page to suit yourself.  If you want fast access to all
your favorite websites, allmyfaves is a fairly good
option.  http://www.allmyfaves.com/
You can also use allmyfaves to set up a customized
homepage with fast access to whatever sites you want
to list.  Here, for example, is an allmyfaves page
customized with educational resources.
http://edu.allmyfaves.com/

More and more folks are opting to use online, web 2.0
applications instead of installing software on their
computers.  Here's a searchable collection of web 2.0
applications.   http://www.go2web20.net/

The aim of EOS is to further the opening up of
scholarship and research that we are now seeing
through the growing open access, open education,
open science and open innovation movements.
http://www.openscholarship.org/jcms/j_6/home

A collection of 3210 words that are troublesome to
readers and writers.   http://www.confusingwords.com/

A collection of online promotional and discount coupon
codes.   http://www.currentcodes.com/

Search more than 6 million pages of UK government info.
http://www.directionlessgov.com/

Social networking and resources for the higher
education community.  http://www.edu1world.org/

Google Fast Flip is a web application that lets
users discover and share news articles.
http://fastflip.googlelabs.com/

What language is that?   http://langid.net/

The British national archives.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

A search engine for Open Educational resources.
http://discovered.creativecommons.org/search/

Open Educational Resources (U.S. based).
http://www.oercommons.org/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and http://www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

T. Enami, prolific photographer of the Meiji and
Taisho eras in Japan, left the world a richer
place for his unparalleled photography.
http://www.t-enami.org/

Would you like to manage the rest of your life?
http://www.agingwithdignity.org/

Help for endangered wildlife.
http://www.teaming.com/

The wordplay website.
http://www.fun-with-words.com/

Ruminations by Anthony Watts.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/

This does sound like Inbox Heaven.  Think I'll
try it and let you know if it's as good as it looks.
http://putthingsoff.com/articles/inbox-heaven/

Advice and resources for families who have
adopted children from China.
http://www.fwcc.org/

Rice is a staple in most of the world, the
Asia Rice Foundation can tell you all about it.
http://www.asiarice.org/

A very cool productivity tip.
http://snipurl.com/thtsv   [lifehacker_com]

Lance Armstrong has affected our culture
in many positive ways.
http://www.lancearmstrong.com/

Create and promote your professional portfolio.
http://www.krop.com/creativedatabase/

Codebreaking is the ultimate game.
http://snipurl.com/thtv7   [www_cia_gov]

Ideas on creativity.
http://the99percent.com/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 375.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://michaelhopwood.wordpress.com/
http://www.cyclingtotheashes.com/
http://www.out-law.com/page-0
http://www.nature.com/npg_/index_npg.html
http://www.bookase.com/
http://www.elearning-africa.com/
http://digital-scholarship.org/irb/irb.html
http://snipurl.com/ti2ba   [www_latinamericatraveler_com]
http://www.medknow.com/
http://www.openaccess.nl/
http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/oso/public/index_oho.html
http://www.scala-lang.org/
http://www.onemanandhisblog.com/
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/
http://www.rba.co.uk/wordpress/
http://andydalesharepoint.blogspot.com/
http://onlinejournalismblog.com/
http://lynnehackles.blogspot.com/

Section Three by Don.

An online directory of education.
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/

ONI’s mission is to identify and document Internet
filtering and surveillance, and to promote and
inform wider public dialogs about such practices.
http://opennet.net/

A pack of open source developers.
http://www.osmosoft.com/

A database of small business management info.
http://www.bizmove.com/small-business-management/

The website of Sound and Vision magazine.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/

Is it an online study group or a cheating coop?
http://www.wepapers.com/

Organize and share research data.
http://www.mendeley.com/

The Open Book Alliance.
http://www.openbookalliance.org/

Blog ratings.
http://www.postrank.com/
http://www.blogs.com/topten/

Popular twitter topics, by city.   http://happn.in/

Government entities on twitter.   http://govtwit.com/

Twitter is defined as microblogging with each post
containing no more than 140 characters...
http://twitter.com/
Woofer is defined as macroblogging with each post containing
at least 1400 characters.   http://woofertime.com/

A travel resource.   http://www.tripextras.com/

A search engine which displays side by side results
from bing and google.   http://bingle.nu/

An interesting collection of media intensive web
designs.   http://www.designcharts.com/

A place for mathematicians (or the mathematically
inclined) to ask and answer questions.
http://mathoverflow.net/

Cell and molecular animations.
http://www.molecularmovies.com/showcase/index.html

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
http://www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

I just became very interested in the anatomy
of the human foot (translation; broke a small
bone in my foot).  This commercial site has
lots of useful information on the subject.
http://snipurl.com/thv2b   [www_northcoastfootcare_com]

Epic kludges and jury-rigs.
http://thereifixedit.com/page/2/

Art is everywhere.
http://www.janvormann.com/dispatchwork.php

Google has lots of goodies!  Be sure
to check out 'and much more'.
http://www.google.com/apps/

Are you ready for an online spreadsheet app?
http://snipurl.com/thv8v   [mashable_com]

100 best things;
Films.
http://www.filmsite.org/momentsindx.html
April Fool's hoaxes.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/aprilfool/
Guitarists.
http://snipurl.com/thyvo   [www_rollingstone_com]
Products of 2009.
http://snipurl.com/thyvx   [www_pcworld_com]
Rock songs.
http://snipurl.com/thyw7   [digitaldreamdoor_nutsie_com]
Non-fiction books.
http://www.nationalreview.com/100best/100_books.html
Companies to work for.
http://www.greatplacetowork.com/best/list-bestusa.htm
Websites.
http://snipurl.com/thywk   [www_google_com]
Dating sites.
http://www.100bestdatingsites.com/
Movie posters.
http://snipurl.com/thyxp   [www_tccandler_com]
Fonts.
http://snipurl.com/thyxu   [justcreativedesign_com]
Living songwriters.
http://snipurl.com/thyxz   [www_pastemagazine_com]

Resources for building quality websites.
http://reallybig.com/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

How does your website score?
http://www.scoreinthebox.com/

A collection of tutorials.
http://www.tutorialsphere.com/

Video tutorials.   http://www.woopid.com/

A resource for artists.   http://www.wetcanvas.com/

A collection of open or public domain images.
http://www.morguefile.com/

A resource for newbie writers.
http://www.newbiewriters.com/

Social networking for writers.
http://www.novelkicks.co.uk/

The Monty Python channel on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/montypython

The next time you're forced to buy a new hard
drive you could do worse than checking here
first.   http://www.storagereview.com/

The Scientific Visualization Studio from the
Goddard Space Flight Center.
http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/index.html

Here's a way you can offer your website visitors
the ability to contact you without compromising
your privacy.   http://www.contactify.com/
Editor's Note:  Contactify works really well too.
For example, you can contact us via contactify from
this page:   http://www.contactify.com/9875d

Despite being commercial, this site is a possible
resource for crafters.   http://www.ilovetocreate.com/

A database of research on philosophy.
http://www.erraticimpact.com/

Tom Fadial's eclectic, intellectual blog.
http://erraticwisdom.com/

A few days ago, on aardvark.com, a fellow who was
learning English asked how he could tell if or when
words should be hyphenated.  I found a lot of
interesting information on that subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp
http://snipurl.com/ti1vm   [www_englishforums_com]
http://grammartips.homestead.com/hyphens1.html
http://grammartips.homestead.com/hyphens2.html
http://grammartips.homestead.com/hyphens3.html

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
http://www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
http://www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

It's the holidays, folks, and I'm in full food
mode, so here's a section devoted to my
passionate persuit of perfection.  My answer to
all positive occurrences this week?  'This
calls for pie!!!'

A food blog with a cheesecake from heaven.
http://smittenkitchen.com/

Amy will help you with those leftovers.
http://cookingwithamy.blogspot.com/

Food styling and photography; very interesting.
http://stilllifewith.com/

It's always time for kugel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugel
http://snipurl.com/thuxc   [www_recipezaar_com]
http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/35158

Substitutions for nearly anything.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~patl/substitutions.shtml

Fast cooking can be good, too.
http://www.fastrecipes.com/

Desperation dinners.
http://snipurl.com/thv09   [www_miamiherald_com]

A great concept, once-a-month cooking.
http://snipurl.com/thv2t   [www_fractured_net]
http://frozenassets.wordpress.com/

Reflections on food would not be complete
without the Gallery of Regrettable Food.
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

The best 20 holiday cakes.
http://snipurl.com/thz1b   [allrecipes_com]

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

I don't have any trouble finding penguin stuff,
I have trouble finding money to buy penguin stuff :)
http://www.penguinstuff.com/   <---******  Oh Yeah!
http://www.penguinpoint.com/
http://www.penguinclothing.com/
http://snipurl.com/tf6kq   [www_overstock_com]
http://snipurl.com/tf88r   [www_animalden_com]
http://www.zazzle.com/penguin+gifts
http://teenormous.com/search/pittsburgh_penguins_t-shirts
http://www.cafepress.com/esangha/821403
http://www.jgoodepenguins.com/
http://www.penguinsonparade.com/
http://www.penguin-place.com/
http://www.penguingiftshop.com/
http://snipurl.com/tf88u   [www_zazzle_com]
http://snipurl.com/tf895   [www_coolantarctica_com]
http://www.junglewalk.com/shop/Penguin-t-shirts.htm
http://snipurl.com/tf89n   [www_krittersinthemailbox_com]
http://www.clubpenguin.com/toys/
http://www.nothingbutpenguins.com/

Lotsa nice Linux tutorials.
http://www.unixmen.com/

An excellent guide to using the vector art program,
Inkscape (which app is also multi-platform).
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

These two aren't about Linux, per se, they're about
a flightless bird familiar all Linux users.
http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/penguins/facts.htm
http://www.clubpenguin.com/

A Little Humor.

Extracts from insurance claims as submitted to
the Norwich Union annual Christmas magazine.

'A truck backed through my windshield into my wife's face'

'I started to slow down but the traffic
was more stationary than I thought.'

'I pulled into a lay-by with smoke coming from under
the bonnet. I realised the car was on fire so took
my dog and smothered it with a blanket.'

Q: Could either driver have done
anything to avoid the accident?
A: Traveled by bus?

This Norwich Union customer collided with a cow.
The questions and answers on the claim form were:
Q. What warning was given by you?
A. Horn
Q. What warning was given by the other party?
A. Moo

'I started to turn and it was at this point I
noticed a camel and an elephant tethered at
the verge. This distraction caused me to lose
concentration and hit a bollard.'

'On approach to the traffic lights
the car in front suddenly broke.'

'I was going at about 70 or 80 mph when my
girlfriend on the pillion reached over and
grabbed my testicles so I lost control.'

'I didn't think the speed limit applied after midnight'

'I knew the dog was possessive about the car but I
would not have asked her to drive it if I had
thought there was any risk.'

'First car stopped suddenly, second car hit first
car and a haggis ran into the rear of second car.'

'Windscreen broken. Cause unknown. Probably Voodoo.'

'The car in front hit the pedestrian
but he got up so I hit him again'

'I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced
at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment.'

'The other car collided with mine
without giving warning of its intention.'

'I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way'

'A pedestrian hit me and went under my car'

'In an attempt to kill a fly, I drove into a telephone pole.'

'I had been shopping for plants all day and was on my way
home. As I reached an intersection a hedge sprang up
obscuring my vision and I did not see the other car.'

'I was on my way to the doctor with rear end trouble
when my universal joint gave way causing me to have
an accident.'

'To avoid hitting the bumper of the
car in front I struck the pedestrian.'

'My car was legally parked as
it backed into the other vehicle.'

'An invisible car came out of nowhere,
struck my car and vanished.'

'I was thrown from the car as it left the road.
I was later found in a ditch by some stray cows.'

Tips for This Issue.

A compendium of useful tips on a multitude of
topics.   http://www.addtips.com/

Barry Mahfood's computer tips blog.
http://www.barrysbestblog.com/

Ad supported computer tips.
http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/

Fertility tips.
http://www.having-a-baby.com/millenium.htm

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://lookeewhatifound.blogspot.com/ )

This day (in the history of) music.
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

What's on TV?   http://www.tvweek.com/

Seeking the best of all forms of media.
http://www.avclub.com/

It's about pop culture.   http://retrocrush.com/

A celebration of information with a hint of humor.
http://www.thepompomist.com/

Started in Boston in December 2000 by five intrepid
men, the Santa Speedo Run has attracted thousands to
run through the streets of Boston all while raising
money for local charities, spreading holiday cheer
and having a great time.   http://www.santaspeedorun.com/

The best visual illusions of the year.
http://illusioncontest.neuralcorrelate.com/

Life in the fast lane (a blog)
http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/

Playing with images.   http://www.freakingnews.com/

A fun blog.  http://www.thesneeze.com/

This marvelous woman (whomever she is) insists on
referring to herself as nerdy (a blog).
http://theparkbencher.blogspot.com/

this site offers many colorful palettes.
http://www.colourlovers.com/

Coverage on books, arts, and culture.
http://www.themillions.com/

Wherever there are supermarket checkout lines.
http://www.people.co.uk/

A few seasonal games.   http://www.dinosaurdesign.com/

Photo effects.   http://fx.worth1000.com/

Sustainalble living.   http://eartheasy.com/

Fan clubs for everything.   http://www.fanpop.com/

From our web-sibling and fellow Linux user Herb Cee.

Here's a blog/column Herb enjoys.
http://fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm

Herb's favorite internet radio station...
http://www.kpig.com/
...played Arlo Guthrie's 'Alices Restaurant" in its
eighteen-and-a-half minute entirity four times on
Thanksgiving day.  I'd already posted the last issue
when he mentioned it so you missed it.  I was going to
link to the lyrics on Arlo's website...
http://www.arlo.net/
...but his site is in frames and the page can't be
directly linked to in a manner that can be transcribed
to this plain-test email so here's the lyrics typed
out and posted to the web by one of Arlo's fans...
http://www.skepticfiles.org/en003/arestaur.htm
...and here's an interesting page about officer Obie,
who figures prominently in Arlo's song.
http://www.arlo.net/obie.shtml

From our craft-happy web-sibling Vinette (Vi) DePhillipe.

An extensive (slow loading) crochet pattern portal.
http://www.myhq.com/public/c/r/crochetpoet/

Animals patterns for quilting.
http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/animals.htm
http://snipurl.com/ti4pm   [www_borntoquilt_com]

This is a web 2.0 online app which creates a palette
of the colors in a given image.  This can be very
useful to crafters, graphic artists and web designers.
http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/index.php

This interesting high-speed video came
from our good friend Dee Jordan.
http://www.flixxy.com/water-drop.htm

From our web-sibling Norm Koedkritz.

Something to get in an uproar about.
http://www.uptimeamerica.com/

Say thanks to America's troops,
courtesy of the Xerox corporation.
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html

From our web-sibling John Lepse.

( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

What's on, online?   http://www.clicker.com/

Thanks Patrick, Jo, Herb, Vi, Dee, Norm and John.

Last word, from Lisa:

We've received our Google Wave invites and are
hot-to-trot to see how this baby performs.  It may
be a little disorienting at first to think about
communication in a whole new way, but we're game and
our friend Patrick Barden has promised to play and
work with us.  We've been busy with the ezine and
other things but we'll make the time to learn, if
only to help others who will be getting on board soon.

I'll brag a bit and announce my musical debut as a
washboard player.  Musician and friend Allen Parker
and I got onstage this last Sunday with Don's band.
We played several washboard duets.  It was awesome
y'all, hubby was surprised and proud it actually
sounded pretty OK.  Unique, at least.

'Til next time,

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.   http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Don at myspace.com   http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.   http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
4:45 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
http://www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.