[donspatch] 2009-04-01

  • From: "D. E. Crowder" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 01:43:57 -0500

#114,  April 1, 2009  from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

Twitter is interesting but, like social networks, it doesn't
really seem to do anything.  That's true for me at least.
I have a twitter account, http://twitter.com/eldergeek
just like I have a facebook account,
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044
but I don't use them much. I just signed up out of curiosity.
I know there are folks who're really into expanding their
personal networks as a means of enhancing their businesses
but the web isn't business for me; it's the playground I
always wanted.  Not everyone shares my belief that 'learn'
and 'play' are synonyms and I'll admit that I haven't
always believed that myself but that was then, this is now.
I'm not talking wonderland, I don't need to believe any
impossible things before breakfast, but I sure do get a kick
out of learning something new before breakfast.

It's probably been at least a month since I reminded you
how much we truly enjoy hearing from you and that's too
long, so I'll tell you again.  Send us a joke, a complaint,
a compliment, a question, a link or just say hello.  Do it
often.  Your email gives us ideas, inspiration, incentive
and the occasional much-needed laugh.

Roy-from-Joplin, thanks for the stuff (he sent us some
novelty items made from recycled computer parts, I'll try
to get some photos posted for the next issue).  Do you
make those things yourself?  How come you don't have a
website?

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Section One by Don.

The U.S. Border Patrol site might seem boring...
http://www.cbp.gov/
...but there's occasionally some interesting reading
on the site.   http://tinyurl.com/cu2cqc

A nice resource for Windows users.
http://www.ntcompatible.com/index.html

Helpdesk is a little 'fringy' at times but is a very
funny cartoon.  Here's episode one:
http://www.ubersoft.net/comic/hd/1996/03/alex-loss-words

A nice science and medicine magazine.
http://www.nature.com/

Open Access is, to me, an exciting new concept.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access_(publishing)
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/overview.htm

Awesome video lectures.   http://academicearth.org/

New, cool stuff in Web 2.0 and Social Networking.
http://www.acestartups.com/

Placing authors on the map.   http://www.authormapper.com/

Patent search.  http://www.boliven.com/patents

The British Monarchy.   http://www.royal.gov.uk/

UK dept. for culture, media and sport.
http://www.culture.gov.uk/

UK Centre for Learning & Performance Technologies.
http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/index.html
Learning professionals (and others) on Twitter.
http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/socialmedia/edutwitter.html

Social networking and other resources for folks
with disabilities and those who care for them.
http://www.disaboom.com/

Here in Texas we refer to this industry as the
'Awl Bidnez'.  It pays good but not consistently
(because it fluctuates with the economy).
http://www.drillingsite.com/

A view from the Edge.   http://www.edge.org/

It's about Europe.   http://www.europeana.eu/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

A wonderful musical artist, Susan Tedeschi.
http://susantedeschi2.notlong.com

Understand and resolve life challenges.
http://www.helpguide.org/

Simple steps to green living.
http://www.simplesteps.org/

Designer help for landscaping.
http://www.crocus.co.uk/

A helpful guide to the Web.
http://www.freebyte.com/

10,000 steps for a healthier life.
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

Employment opportunities and job resources.
http://www.rileyguide.com/

Save our planet, one poop at a time.
http://flushdoggy.com/wordpress/

Japanese language and culture.
http://www.kanjistep.com/

Landscape enhancement through billboards.
http://www.billboardom.blogspot.com/

A blog about art.  http://www.linesandcolors.com/

Do you have a well-rounded education?
Do you know how to keep live bait?
http://keepbait.notlong.com

Fun, safe activities for young girls.
http://www.newmoon.com/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 394.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of "spin" and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
Note:  This section is being temporarily expanded
until my media folder gets thinned down a bit.
http://www.radiotiki.com/
http://www.magistery.com/
http://www.networkcomputing.com/
http://www.alternativeradio.org/
http://rebecca-goetz.blogspot.com/
http://dudespaper.com/
http://johntaylorsblog.com/
http://famousdc.com/
http://www.merinews.com/index.jsp
http://www.theroot.com/
http://www.plasticbag.org/
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/
http://www.tothepc.com/
http://www.babble.com/
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/
http://www.quickandsimple.com/
http://www.mansized.co.uk/
http://www.cognitive-edge.com/
http://www.scifeeds.com/
http://www.citeulike.org/journals/
http://www.myjournals.org/
http://www.climatechangecorp.com/
http://popurls.com/
http://www.maison-de-stuff.net/
http://turtlemadness.net/
http://www.bellaonline.com/
http://www.thestar.com/
http://www.goergo.in/
http://www.jaunted.com/
http://www.youknowyouwanna.net/
http://mamamusings.net/
http://www.thepcspy.com/
http://gratesofrat.blogspot.com/
http://www.belligerati.net/
http://wigu.com/
http://www.whiteninjacomics.com/index.shtml

Section Three by Don.
 Instead of beating or joining the Open Source
movement Microsoft seems to be attempting to a
walk a parallel path.   http://www.codeplex.com/

'How to embed almost anything in your website'
http://linkasa.com/lb1

Here's a little magazine which I've mentioned before.
I get it every month and often find very useful and/or
interesting information buried among the advertising.
http://www.remedylife.com/

Search scholarly / intellectual ejournals in the arts
and humanities.   http://www.jurn.org/

Another contender for 'king of the search engines'.
http://www.melzoo.com/

Online document sharing.   http://www.twidox.com/

An online dictionary/thesaurus.   http://www.memidex.com/

A search engine for biomedical literature.
http://www.novoseek.com/Welcome.action

A biomedical and life sciences search engine.
http://www.vadlo.com/

A search engine for eBooks.   http://pdfse.com/

A wealth of math learning resources.
http://www.khanacademy.org/

Radiology resources.   http://www.medicexchange.com/

oDesk might be a pretty good resource for anyone who
wishing to hire short term technical staff or for
unemployed technically trained folks who dwell in
third world countries but friends of mine, who work
in Information Technology (here in the US), tell me
that McDonalds (yeah, the hamburger place) pays
better.   http://www.odesk.com/w/

An Open Source world street map.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/

This site is a sort of online readers digest of
scientific research.  http://www.scitopics.com/

Screentoaster is an online, platform independent
computer screen recorder.   http://www.screentoaster.com/

Have you some old textbooks you'd like to unload?
http://www.unitextbooks.net/

Advice on...
still images.
http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/stillimages/
Moving images.
http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/movingimages/
Audio.
http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/audio/
Cross-media.
http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/crossmedia/

A few interesting music videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtzgwNDZAs4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFqK6PBq-hA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVR8lg1YLuc

Cute, funny videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6UU6m3cqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXm696UbKY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ALIL7T764
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--3q4fOL5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovXqfigNzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3z70WMCTg

This video makes a profound statement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-7IFN4DKA

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Vintage graphics and clipart.
http://www.grandmasgraphics.com/

Vendor-neutral and technology-neutral consortium
for open standards and operability.
http://www.opengroup.org/

The art of Ron English.
http://popaganda.com/galleries.shtml

Skills for coping, and perhaps thriving,
for those with gluten-intolerance.
http://www.gluten.net/

One couple's journey renovating their historic house.
http://www.hereandthere.org/oldhouse/index.shtml

A system for getting things done.
http://www.markforster.net/autofocus-system/

Historian John Hope Franklin changed American
culture through scholarship and perseverance.
http://jhfranklin.notlong.com

There are many organizations "without borders".
Exploring some of them has been a treat.
http://doctorswithoutborders.org/
http://www.teacherswithoutborders.org/
http://www.motherswithoutborders.org/
http://www.lawyerswithoutborders.org/
http://mbaswithoutborders.org/
http://builderswithoutborders.org/
http://www.wordswithoutborders.org/
http://www.ewb-usa.org/
http://www.scientistswithoutborders.org
http://www.clownswithoutborders.org/
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/
http://www.idealist.org/
http://www.acuwithoutborders.org/
http://www.chemistswithoutborders.org/

Thinking about a trip to a tropical island?
How can you choose?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamas
http://ciathebahamas.notlong.com

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

Phil Bradley's take on Twitter.
http://www.philb.com/twitter.htm

A Twitter-people search engine.   http://justtweetit.com/

Twitterfeed.   http://twitterfeed.com/

Twitter groups.   http://twittgroups.com/index.php

Yet another Twitter gizmo.   http://tweetree.com/

Welsh art.   http://www.welshartnow.org/

Freedom on information requests in the UK.
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/
Freedom of information requests are doable
but a bit more complicated in the US.
http://www.usdoj.gov/oip/index.html

The lines between newspapers and blogs is beginning
to get a little blurry isn't it?  Like this site, is it
a newspaper or a blog?   http://www.feedchronicle.com/

Neighborhood search.   http://www.streetwire.org/

Need a DIY shed for your shop?  Here's a
place to start.   http://linkasa.com/mb1

Internet bird  collection.   http://ibc.lynxeds.com/

A resource for guitarists.
http://www.freemusicstudy.com/

A music resource, depending on where you live.
http://www.spotify.com/en/

Education blog awards.   http://edublogawards.com/

Things found in books.
http://www.thingsinbooks.com/
http://enclosures.blogspot.com/

Strange, unusual, bizarre, and, in some cases, icky
stuff.  http://www.oddee.com/

Found things.   http://www.foundmagazine.com/

Halls of Fame (continued)
Mascots.   http://www.mascothalloffame.com/
Jewish-American.   http://www.amuseum.org/jahf/
Trapshooting.   http://www.traphof.org/index2.htm
Pro wrestling.   http://www.pwhf.org/
Michigan women.   http://www.michiganwomenshalloffame.org/
Colorado women.   http://www.cogreatwomen.org/
North Carolina auto racing.   http://www.ncarhof.com/
Burlesque.   http://www.burlesquehall.com/
New Jersey aviation.   http://www.njahof.org/
Mississippi musicians.   http://www.msmusic.org/
U.S. labor.
http://www.dol.gov/oasam/programs/laborhall/main.htm
U.S. sprint car.   http://sprintcarhof.com/
Italian American sports.   http://www.niashf.org/
Space technology.   http://www.spacetechhalloffame.org/
ITA women's tennis.   http://www.itahalloffame.com/
(to be continued)

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

Lots of good info from the Mayo Clinic.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/

Once again, the most addicting game on the 'Net.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://www.addictinggames.com/helicopter.html

What is the Federal Reserve?
http://www.federalreserve.gov/

Compare and shop for home services.
http://www.whitefence.com/

We love the song "Jalisco" done in the
Mariachi style.   http://jalisco.notlong.com

Don't you just love old computers?
http://www.old-computers.com/news/default.asp

Beautiful antique bottles.
http://www.greatantiquebottles.com/

Once in your life, you must play Mr. Picassohead.
http://www.mrpicassohead.com/create.html

High Dynamic Range Photos-HDR, are noted for their
depth and realism, much like the way we actually
see.  Here's an online tool to produce one from
your photo and a tutorial if you'd like to know
how it's done.
http://www.createhdr.com/
http://howtohdr.notlong.com

This online tool creates favicons from your pictures.
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/

Creating icons with GIMP.
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Creating_Icons/

I think Murphy beds are so cool.
http://www.wallbed.com/index.html

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

Austin has become something of a musical mecca,
rivalling Nashville in some genres, but it's also
a hotbed of computer technology and, consequently,
computer geeks.  Among that noble gathering are
numerous Linux users.   http://geekaustin.org/

Linux against poverty.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=73812541302

DDP HackRadio.   http://www.ddphackradio.org/

Polar bears and penguins.
http://linuxgeeksunited.blogspot.com/

One click Linux.   http://www.oneclicklinux.com/

A Little Humor.

From our other-brother Bill (Beeyil) Lanoue:

Tech support: What kind of computer do you have?
Female customer: A white one.

Customer: Hi, this is Maureen. I can't get my diskette out.
Tech support: Have you tried pushing the Button?
Customer: Yes, sure, it's really stuck.
Tech support: That doesn't sound good; I'll make a note.
Customer: No, wait a minute, I hadn't inserted it yet,
it's still on my desk, Sorry.

Tech support: Click on the 'my computer'
icon on to the left of the screen.
Customer: Your left or my left?

Tech support: Good day. How may I help you?
Male customer: Hello... I can't print.
Tech support: Would you click on 'start' for me and.
Customer: Listen pal; don't start getting
technical on me! I'm not Bill Gates.

Customer: Hi, good afternoon, this is Martha, I can't
print. Every time I try, it says 'Can't find printer'.
I've even lifted the printer and placed it in front of
the monitor, but the computer still says he can't find it.

Customer: I have problems printing in red.
Tech support: Do you have a color printer?
Customer: Aaaah, thank you.

Tech support: What's on your monitor now, ma'am?
Customer: A teddy bear my boyfriend bought for me.

Customer: My keyboard is not working anymore.
Tech support: Are you sure it's plugged into the computer?
Customer: No. I can't get behind the computer.
Tech support: Pick up your keyboard and walk 10 paces back.
Customer: OK
Tech support: Did the keyboard come with you?
Customer: Yes
Tech support: That means the keyboard is not plugged in.
Is there another keyboard?

Customer: Yes, there's another one here.
Ah! That one does work.

Tech support: Your password is the small letter 'a' as
in apple, a capital letter V as n Victor, the number 7.
Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?

Customer: can't get on the Internet.
Tech support: Are you sure you used the right password?
Customer: Yes, I'm sure. I saw my colleague do it.
Tech support: Can you tell me what the password was?
Customer: Five stars.

Tech support: What anti-virus program do you use?
Customer: Netscape.
Tech support: That's not an anti-virus program.
Customer: Oh, sorry, Internet Explorer.

Customer: I have a huge problem. A friend has placed
a screen saver on my computer, but every time I move
the mouse, it disappears.

Tech support: How may I help you?
Customer: I'm writing my first e-mail.
Tech support: OK, and what seems to be the problem?
Customer: Well, I have the letter 'a' in the address,
but how do I get the circle around it?

Customer: Hi I have a problem with my Canon printer.
Tech support: Are you running it under windows?
Customer: No, my desk is next to the door, but that
is a good point. The man sitting in the cubicle next
to me is under a window, and his printer is working fine.

Tech support: Okay, let's press the control and escape
keys at the same time. That brings up a task list in
the middle of the screen. Now type the letter 'P' to
bring up the Program Manager.
Customer: I don't have a P.
Tech support: On your keyboard, Colin.
Customer: What do you mean?
Tech support: 'P' on your keyboard, Colin.
Customer: I'm not going to do that!!

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.

The bad part: an unidentified 39-year-old
man in Moenchengladbach, Germany, lost his keys.

The good part: he was pretty sure he had accidentally
tossed them into a public trash bin with some papers.

The bad part: it had a narrow opening,
and the top doesn't come off easily.

The good part: he could fit
his head and arm into the opening.

The bad part: he got so stuck he couldn't move.

The good part: a friend happened by,
and called the fire brigade to come help.

The bad part: they couldn't get him out either, so they
widened the hole and shoved him the rest of the way in.

The bad part: it took another half hour
before they were able to get the top off.

The good part: by the time he finally
emerged, he had found his keys.

The bad part: in his pocket.

Thanks Bill and Patrick.

Tips for This Issue.

Here's a great consumer resource.   http://consumerist.com/

Moving tips.
http://www.meyersmoving.com/movingtips/moveout.asp

This information on buying a car was written as a helpful
guide to recent U.S. immegrants but the information it
offers would be useful and valid for any U.S. resident.
http://www.immihelp.com/newcomer/car-buying-tips.html

Tips for handling crawfish and other fresh seafood.
http://linkasa.com/nb1

A nice collection of web dev tutorials,
http://woork.blogspot.com/2007/10/table-of-contents.html
and a nifty eBook.
http://woork.blogspot.com/2009/01/woork-handbook.html

Household tips and tricks.
http://www.ircbeginner.com/justfun/usefultips.html

Golfing tips.
http://golf-tips.useful-tips.com/

Motorcycle tips.   http://tielai.notlong.com

Letter writing tips.
http://www.writinghelp-central.com/letter-writing-tips.html

Some of these tips, from writer Tom Johnson, are humourous.
All are practical.   http://preview.tinyurl.com/d3rzna

Easy computer tips.   http://www.easycomputertips.com/

An enormous computer help site.   http://www.helpwithpcs.com/

Dr. Mercury's computer corner, from Maggies farm.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c75m79

A nice collection of tips in many categories, offered
in several languages.   http://www.raymond.cc/blog/

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like (just tell me when you send
them if that's what you intended).
Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://rrwbushangel.blogspot.com/ )

Patrick, who is something of a stick-on-the-mud, is
pleased, and a little shocked, to have finally given
up Internet Explorer.  He's switched to Chrome.
http://www.google.com/chrome

Readability.   http://lab.arc90.com/2009/03/readability.php

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Pete Souza's blog (official White House photographer).
http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/

The haunted world of Ed Wood Jr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIBNWqfQV_k

A one-owner home, built in 1955, that's never been lived in!
http://www.2204stephen.com/index.shtml

The World's Oldest Movie.   http://preview.tinyurl.com/ctv2rp

An informative collision between science and fiction.
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/superman.shtml
Frequency of a cat's purr.
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/LevMazniker.shtml
More to explore.   http://hypertextbook.com/facts/

Proof that subscribing to this ezine is good for
your brain.   http://preview.tinyurl.com/8cfhnt
More to explore.   http://drdeborahserani.blogspot.com/

Jeffrey Martin's panoramic photography.
http://www.360cities.net/profile/jeffrey-martin

A strange, interesting game with dominoes and tomatoes.
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/domino/domino.html
More to explore.   http://www.gamedesign.jp/index_en.html

Jo says 'I love this cute fan dress. Best of all,
the fans are actually made from folded up junk mail
and then sewn onto canvas'.
http://www.recyclerunway.com/pages/PFJunkMail1.htm
More to explore.   http://www.recyclerunway.com/

Scandalous women (an interesting blog).
http://scandalouswoman.blogspot.com/

From our web sibling Vinette (Vi) DePhillipe:
( Vi's site: http://360.yahoo.com/vinette1 )

Remember me (a video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervaMPt4Ha0

This information is date sensitive and it'll be too
late when you read this but there's a slim chance
it will help someone so I'm running it anyway.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ctkxeb
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cytb27

From our web-sibling Jerry Fox.

The American form of government.
http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment

From our web-sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

An interesting book review, a challenging occupation.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/d8rble

Conjoined twins, Abby & Brittany Hensel turn 16.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKWApOAG2g

I just hate the way blogs are laid out so that you've
got to track down however many previous posts it takes
to get you to the beginning of a story, so you can read
it in chronological order.  That being said, that's
exactly what I suggest you do on this site.  It's worth
it.   Because History Matters.
http://teachinghistorymatters.wordpress.com/

From our friend, neighbor and
fellow Linux user Steven Scott.

By now most everyone's at least heard of Linux and is
aware that the Linux mascot is a penguin named Tux.
Soon, for a limited time, Tux will be replaced by a
Tazmanian Devil named Tuz.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/dgbw6x

From our web-sibling Dan Urban.

The percussion in these music videos is provided by,
of all things, a tractor.  They're both quite good
but I have to say, I much preferred the Volvo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThSi1wbqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwadWc-QeAg

Thanks Patrick, Jo, Vi, Jerry, John, Stevie and Dan.

Last word, from Lisa:

There's something to be said for lifelong learning.
I've recently become interested in learning to play
the drums.  Perhaps I'm just making sure that there
will always be something I do badly, but I love that
feeling that my brain is so busy I can hardly sleep.
Building new neuron pathways, no doubt.

The adventure continues...

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blog.
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blog.
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
1:42 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.