[donspatch] 2008-10-01-again, only plain text this time (sorry)

  • From: Don Crowder <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 00:35:48 -0500

Don's Patch #102,  October 1, 2008  from www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

A couple of weeks ago I made a deal with Susan Linton of
tuxmachines.org.  Lisa and I will write a two part article
on why we're using Linux and why we've chosen the distros
we use in return for having Susan write the Linux section
of our ezine for one (possibly two) issues.  I guess Lisa
and Susan liked the idea better than I did because Lisa's
got her part of the article written and Susan sent me her
13 link Linux section yesterday.  Now I feel guilty because
I've only managed a couple of false starts on my part of
our promised article but I also feel pleased and honored
to have Susan appearing in this issue of our ezine.  I
very much respect and admire her for the terrific work
she does with tuxmachines.org.

Lisa's still talking to her mom, in Florida, with Skype
for a couple of hours a week and they almost always begin
their sessions by checking to see what's new on lolcats...
http://icanhascheezburger.com/
...and they've gotten me hooked as well.  I find myself
checking the site every couple of days.  I guess you could
call it checking for chuckles.

Ok so tell the truth, who tried to talk like a pirate on
the 19th?   http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html
I did, but I'll admit I'm not very good at it.  I'll be
getting a reminder of it again next year because that's
how I set it up at memotome.com last year.  Hey guys, if
you're the sort of fellow who always forgets his wedding
anniversary (hurting your wife's feelings) this site can
help you out.   http://www.memotome.com/

I did some googling and found installable solutions...

http://www.spacejock.com/RMP.html
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/bday/index.html
(more cool stuff here http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/ )

...and there's a nifty Thunderbird plugin.

I'm not good at remembering things.  My daughter Lily
usually calls to remind me of everyone's birthday.  Hmm,
I wonder if that Thunderbird plugin will work in IceDove?

Lisa found this site which will actually call you on
the phone and remind you of stuff.  She says non-recurring
(one-time) calls are fee-less.  http://wakerupper.com/

I guess I'm getting started early in this issue aren't
I?  Think of it as my little bonus for anybody who
actually reads my opening statement.  *grin*

Don

Our feedback form (goes to both of us):
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blogs.
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blogs.
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/dirtgoddess
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Section One by Don.

Lisa tested that call-up reminder service...
http://wakerupper.com/  ...by having them call and
remind me to take my Advair but she wasn't sure
their computer would know how to pronounce Advair
so she wrote it phonetically as two words "ad vare".
It worked great, but I wondered if "vare" was
a real word so I looked it up on the Merriam-
Webster and got this response "vare can be found
at Merriam-WebsterUnabridged.com. Click here
to start your free trial!" which I found to be
slightly annoying so I googled the word and found
a definition on this site.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Vare
(they're ad supported and you have to look close
to see the definition among the ads but the info
is there and there's no "catch 22" involved.

Do you have a secret?  Did you ever
just want to tell somebody about it?
http://www.secretchest.com/
http://notmysecrets.com/
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/
http://www.postsecretcommunity.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostSecret

The secrets of Scientology.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/
http://www.xenu.net/

Open secrets.   http://www.opensecrets.org/

Oooee!  There's some volatile stuff on this site but
I'm now a big-time Marcy Kaptur fan, for sure.  Here's
the site...   http://www.abovetopsecret.com/
...and here's the Marcy Kaptur video I watched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27yitK32ds

Even if you don't build your own computers, sometimes
it's nice to learn a bit about hardware.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/

A 'geeky' web-dev site.   http://indesignsecrets.com/

More web dev, less geeky.   http://www.secretsites.com/

Dig it!   http://forces.si.edu/soils/ (Secrets of soil)

A podcast for writers.
http://www.stormwolf.com/thesecrets/podcasts/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa

A Festival of Gadgets.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/
http://www.wired.com/gadgets
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/

A wide range of Torah archives and e-mail classes.
http://www.torah.org/

The history of computing.  http://www.computerhistory.org/

Click on Browse in the left-hand navigation panel for
fascinating browsing through antique ads.
http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa/

Dave Marshall's costless Course on Bookkeeping.
http://www.dwmbeancounter.com/tutorial/Tutorial.html

Everyone knows what Tacky Living is.  Don't be
embarrassed, celebrate!   http://www.tackyliving.com/

This commercial product got me thinking in some
new directions.  http://www.invisiblestructures.com/

Plus Magazine, living mathematics.
http://pass.maths.org.uk/index.html

Sci-Tech news and views.
http://www.sciencebase.com/

Import your Outlook Express emails into Thunderbird
and Evolution.   http://importoe.notlong.com

Kids online resources.
http://www.kidsolr.com/

Costless wares for Mac.
http://www.cornstalker.com/freeware/x.html

This commercial site has a lot of costless tutorials.
http://costlesstuts.notlong.com

We all know geeks are sexy.
http://www.geeksaresexy.net/

Women in woodworking.
http://www.womeninwoodworking.com/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 390.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other informational
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of "spin" and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.x86.org/
http://www.swissarmylibrarian.net/
http://packratlibrarian.wordpress.com/
http://matthewll.blogspot.com/
http://judyrobertson.typepad.com/
http://www.npr.org/music/stations/streams.html
http://www.cafebabel.com/eng/
http://pamela.poole.free.fr/frogblog/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
http://www.smh.com.au/
http://www.sltrib.com/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree
http://www.20by20room.com/

Section Three by Don.

Pitt Rivers Museum.   http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/index.html

A century of American aviation.  http://aerofiles.com/

Darby Sawchuk's photo blog.   http://dsphotographic.com/

Science Fiction/Fantasy.   http://www.sfsite.com/home.htm

Gerald Oskoboiny's a traveler who takes lots of photos.
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/

Television history.   http://www.tvhistory.tv/index.html

Places of peace and power.   http://www.sacredsites.com/

When I replaced Win2K with Debian Etch Linux on my computer
I bought a used Windows XP machine on eBay for $125 because
most of you, our readers, are still using Windows and it's
important to me to stay in touch with you.  After a few
months it occurred to me that I was only using the Windows
machine for a few minutes a month so there was no particular
reason for it to be a 'fancy' machine.  I sold it for what
it cost me and my current Windows XP machine is a used 667
MHz (Pentium III) Dell that cost me $20.  I upgraded it
to 1000 MHz (1 GHz) and expanded its RAM from 256 MHz to
384 MHz using parts I already had.  It's not a particularly
fast computer but it's not nearly as slow as I expected
it to be.  Sometimes a new computer isn't a viable option
but that shouldn't be an obstacle if you know a little
about computer hardware.  Even if you don't, ask around;
one of your friends might be a 'closet' computer geek.
All of which is leading up to this article from
thesimpledollar.com.   http://snipurl.com/3xc3x
Want an "off the shelf" answer?  These links may help.
http://www.savetz.com/cheappc/

This UK website is built on a concept that's easy to
embrace.   http://generous.org.uk/

These sites belong to a married couple.
http://www.the-generous-wife.com/
http://www.the-generous-husband.com/

Here's a concept that could save the world.
http://www.tolerance.org/

International Day for Tolerance.
http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/tolerance/

Puzzle world.   http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/

Who plays bridge?  http://www.bridgeworld.com/
I found this a bit boring but I don't play bridge.
http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~pw/cryppie.htm

I was tempted to describe Peter Voss as a mad scientist
but that wouldn't be accurate, even though he looks a
little annoyed in his photo.  At any rate, he's an
interesting character and I enjoyed exploring his site.
http://www.optimal.org/peter/peter.htm

Mama Lisa's world of children and international
culture.   http://www.mamalisa.com/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>>these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Life is good, even if you have food sensitivities.
People like this restore my faith in human nature.
We just ordered an ice cream maker...the Butter
Pecan sounds fabulous.
http://veganicecream.blogspot.com/

Webmaster resources, tools and articles
http://www.webmastergate.com/

The stories of 5 families who lived in one
house over 200 years, from the Smithsonian.
Flash and non-Flash versions available.
http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/house/

Nice little apps from Wiredplane Labs.
http://www.wiredplane.com/en/commons/freeware.php

Solve Sudoku without even thinking!
http://sudokusolve.notlong.com

Beards deserve more respect and appreciation.
http://www.beards.org/
http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

It's up to you to take back your brain.
http://www.takebackyourbrain.com/

Mediterranean food, cooking and recipes.
http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/index.html

Tips and tricks to save money and resources;
Project Laundry Line.  Check out the tune!
http://www.laundrylist.org/

The best salesman in the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGOjFhKeLiU
http://peelerman.notlong.com

Architecture for the real world.
http://cadc.auburn.edu/soa/rural%2Dstudio/home.htm

Open Content courses and tutorials.
http://open-of-course.org/courses/

Money saving tips.
http://www.betterbudgeting.com/

News by citizens and journalists.
http://www.kcnn.org/

Elephants can play soccer.
http://elesoccer.notlong.com
More about elephants.
http://www.elephanttag.org/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form (link above).
Our feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

Every so often Peter Callesen's site should be revisited.
http://www.petercallesen.com/index/index2.html

The Field Museum is a 'hands on' sort of place but they
do have online content (check the quick links).
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/

Much to explore from author Andrew S. Fuller.
http://www.owlsoup.com/

Math posters.   http://math.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathposters/
More to explore.  http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/

Open Source math app.   http://www.sagemath.org/

Here's another that gets bigger and better all the time.
Wolfram MathWorld.   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

Trying to do with celebrities what lolcats has done with
cats.   http://roflrazzi.com/

Take control of your recipes.
http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/

This is commercial and I don't recommend you buy it but
isn't this cool?  http://www.fit-pc.com/new/index.php

This one is semi-commercial. They wouldn't be my first
choice for a pet but Hermit crabs are interesting
creatures.   http://www.hermit-crabs.com/

If you're interested in a more economical lifestyle
you should get a charge out of this one.
http://www.homepower.com/home/

Clear pictures of how we think (interesting article).
http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2004/11/65775

Official Web Site of The Infinite Mind public radio
series.   http://lcmedia.com/

Based in the UK but open to the world.  Is your
business listed here?   http://www.brownbook.net/

Based in Austin but available to the nation, here's
where you can find, and book, a band.
http://bookaband.com/

How would you like to help a teacher with a special
project?   http://www.donorschoose.org/homepage/

Here's a cool one if you enjoy mythology.  If you don't,
consider it a myth-take.   http://www.mythweb.com/

No commercial concern has ever achieved space flight but
I don't think the day is so very far away.  I mentioned
this one in our last issue...  http://www.spacex.com/
...and here's another.   http://www.odysseymoon.com/

In this web game you can choose to be Odysseus, his
young son Telemachus or his beautiful wife, Penelope.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~loxias/odchoice.htm

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

For those of us who are food addicts.
http://foodporndaily.com/

All about appliances.
http://www.appliance.net/
Vintage appliances.
http://www.toastermuseum.com/index.htm
http://www.137.com/museum/
http://www.oldewash.com/

An innovative recycled greenhouse.
http://bottlehouse.notlong.com

Is it a cold or the flu?  http://coldorflu.notlong.com

We don't think of Weber Grills as a product, rather
a service to humanity.  Recipes included.
http://www.weber.com/

Stuff you never needed to know.
http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/index.html

The Pro Wrestling Museum.
http://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/

WWII Ace Pilots.
http://www.acepilots.com/index.html#top

Soy recipes by two registered dieticians.
http://fearn.pair.com/rstevens/SimplySoy/index.html

It's getting to be Fall, time to break out
the camera.  Here are some great hints.
http://fallcolors.notlong.com

2008 is the Year of the Frog.
http://www.aza.org/YearoftheFrog/

South Beach Diary by Patty Caya.
http://sbdiary.notlong.com

Reuters' Oddly Enough; always fun and fresh.
http://www.reuters.com/news/oddlyEnough

Costless Mac apps.
http://alej745.tripod.com/grassknucklers/Blank.html

Maps for personal and classroom use.
http://www.eduplace.com/ss/maps/

Hire an Elvis Impersonator, wherever you are!
http://elvisimp.notlong.com

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner (Special guest editor for this issue).

My name is Susan Linton and I run this little Website,
tuxmachines.org, that has morphed into a glorified news
aggregator. I pick and published each article link by
hand myself, so it does have the advantage of quality
over some of the other such popular sites. I've been
doing this for several years now, so I've developed a
list of over 1500 sites on which I search for new
articles. I've also developed a few favorites, those
that consistently publish high quality and thoughtful
articles or just have a knack for coming up with ideas
that please the masses. So, here is the list of my Top
13 Favorite Websites for Linux and Open Source information:

1. Linux.com http://www.linux.com - one of my top favorites
because they publish articles I find interesting everyday
on almost a regular schedule. They've been one of my
favorite sources since the beginning - even way before
they began publishing articles of mine.

2. Tech Source From Bohol http://www.junauza.com/ - this
is definitely one of my top favorites. This guy has a
uncanny knack for coming up with some of the best ideas
for articles. In fact, I'm a bit jealous. If I had only
half his imagination I'd probably have that new car by
now. His articles are always a big hit with my visitors and
so I keep a close eye on his site.

3. Raiden's Realm http://www.raiden.net/ - This is one of
my favorites because of his interesting articles and good
ideas coming several times a week. I'm also acquainted with
Steve personally a bit and he's just a really nice guy and
is truly devoted to Linux and Open Source software.
He's a believer.

4. Red Devil's Tech Blog
http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/ - Steve Lawson is
knowledgeable and produces some nice reviews sprinkled with
witicisms and logic. He puts out about one quality article
a week or so, I just wish he'd fix that formatting (whether
it's his CMS or style).

5. Phoronix.com http://www.phoronix.com/ - I really like
Phoronix because Michael and his site just wreak with
professionalism. He's a very knowledgeable guy and produces
some of the highest quality work in our community. Plus
he's about the only person dedicated to hardware for Linux.
Things just wouldn't be complete without Phoronix.

6. iTWire.com http://www.itwire.com/ - Here is another
professional quality commercial site that puts out at
least one popular article a day for Linux users,
sometimes several. iTWire is one of those sites I
keep a very close eye on.

7. Beranger.org http://beranger.org/index.php - I read
Beranger regularly and link to him quite a bit. He's
undoubtedly one of the best bloodhounds we have. He can
seem to root out even the most obscure bugs in any given
distro or software. And he has the courage to just go
for it - he doesn't hold any punches. I bet he's the type
of guy that would walk up to his wife and say, "your
butt is getting too fat!" In addition, he has some pretty
impressive insights to many relevant (and off-) topics in
our community. I hold a lot of respect for Beranger.

8. Distrowatch.com http://www.distrowatch.com - This is
one of everybody's favorites isn't it? It's a must for
anyone who follows Linux and his weekly newletters are
staples in the community. Ladislav is one of the smartest
guys I know and his features are always well thought out,
logical, and supported with provable facts. He's quite
witty and very skilled in the mechanics of writing as
well. And he speaks several languages fluently - which
is something that always impresses me.

9. Linux and Open Source blog of TechRepublic
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/ - I guess you could
say this is one of my favorites - I know I'm always glad
to see a new article up there. Jack Wallen et. al. are
very knowlegdeable and come up with some good ideas.
Their articles are frequently well received on my site.

10. Techiemoe Rants http://www.techiemoe.com/ - I like
this guy's distro reviews cause he's a kind of a
curmudgeon. He makes me laugh quite a bit and he commonly
notices things I may overlook. I may not always agree with
him, but I always enjoy his articles.

11. Locutus' Blog at ITtoolbox.com
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/ - This guy has some
good ideas and publishes on the regular side of sporadic.
His articles are commonly popular with folks and he tends
to be a bit of comedian at times. I like to find new stuff
by him.

12. The Register http://www.theregister.co.uk/ and sister
site The Inquirer http://www.theinquirer.net/ - These two
sites are commercial, no doubt, but they give a lot of play
to Linux and Open Sauce software (misspelling intentional).
And their crew is downright insane. These guys crack me up,
especially on The Inquirer. The Register is a bit more
serious, but not much. These sites get high marks for
their wit and style.

13. OStatic.com http://ostatic.com/ - This site is populated
with some of the most knowledgeable folks in our community.
I like this site for the serious and professional work they
generate, so I regularly link to their work.

 Of course, it's very difficult to pick 13 sites out of
about 1500, but  this is a fairly close representation of
the top sites I can count on to  provide quality material
for my site. As you can see I tend to like the  sites with
humor and/or intelligence. I probably have forgotten a few
that deserved mentioning and I apologize to them. Best way
to find them all is to visit me at tuxmachines.org
http://www.tuxmachines.org. See  ya there!

End of Linux Corner (Thank you, thank you, thank you Susan).

A Little Humor.

Q:   What's brown and sticky?
A:   A stick!

Q:   What do you call a short
     fortune-teller who escapes from prison?
A:   A small medium at large!

Q:   What vegetable do bugs fear the most?
A:   Squash!

Did you hear the one about the cross-eyed teacher?
She couldn't straighten her pupils out!

A dog goes into a Western Union office and dictates the
following telegram: "woof woof woof, woof woof woof,
woof woof woof." The clerk says, "that's only nine
woofs, if you want, you can add another woof at no
additional charge." The dog looks at him and says,
"but then the message would make no sense at all!"

Why are builders afraid to have a 13th floor, but book
publishers aren't afraid to have a Chapter 11?

Q:   Why do heroes wear big shoes?
A:   Because of their amazing feats!

Did you hear about the two antennae that got married?
The ceremony was pretty boring, but the reception was great.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Just as a surgeon was finishing an operation, his patient
woke up and demanded to close his own incision. The surgeon
shrugged, handed him the needle, and said, "suture self"?

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Did you hear about the woman who was dating
a tractor salesman?  They broke up when she
wrote him a John Deere letter.

Tips for This Issue.

A database of hidden settings for Mac OS X.
http://secrets.blacktree.com/

Optimize guides for Windows Vista/XP/2K.
http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/index.html

This site is an excellent resource for users of every
version of Windows since, and including, Windows 3.1.
http://www.mdgx.com/

Contributions From Our Readers.
Links from readers are always
welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you
like.  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

A blog about places you might see on vacation.
http://googlesightseeing.com/

If you like Neil Gaiman"s books, try his blog.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/

For the Democrats, Blog for America.
http://www.blogforamerica.com/

The Dilbert blog by it's creator, cartoonist, Scott Adams
http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/

Donald Trump and his circle of experts blog
http://donaldtrump.trumpuniversity.com/

The historic True Crime blog.
http://laurajames.typepad.com/clews/

Ten web moments that changed the world.
http://www.webbyawards.com/press/webby_top_10.php

These sites were judged worty of mention (by Webby judges).
http://www.webbyawards.com/webbys/current_honorees.php

Current Webby Nominees.
http://www.webbyawards.com/webbys/current.php

Hate the site background, like the content.
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/

American Presidents blog.
http://american-presidents.blogspot.com/

World of Royalty blog, site and network.
http://worldofroyaltyblog.com/
http://www.royalty.nu/
http://worldofroyalty.ning.com/

Good Math, Bad Math.
http://www.scienceblogs.com/goodmath/

Many interesting, often humorous looks at all sorts
of things.     http://www.damninteresting.com/

From our web sibling Jerry Fox.

The global rich list (put your finances in perspective).
http://www.globalrichlist.com/index.php

American Legion posters (a look at history).
http://www.legion.org/whatsnew/posters?row=0

From our "other brother" Bill (Beeyil) Lanoue.
( Bill's blog http://ncvietvet.blogspot.com/ )
This frequently seen email is based on a true story.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

From our web sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

Why people overuse the E.R. (article).
http://www.slate.com/id/2199645/

Uninsured patients, few beds keep ERs maxed out.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5486114

The Big Picture is just what it suggests, from the Boston
Globe.   http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/

These amusing videos are actually commercials for the U.S.
Post Office.   http://www.youtube.com/markoftheeagle

This blog, from a Canadian nursing student, is one John
speaks highly of.   http://runningwildly.blogspot.com/

Our friend Cranz Nichols, who's a ham radio operator,
computer geek, member of the Highland Lakes Linux Users
Group and describes himself as "The meanest man on
Emeralds Drive" sent us this link to a site he consults
before making phone calls to far-away friends.
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

From our web sibling Randi Simon-Serey.

Give your brain a workout.   http://brainden.com/

Life in Red, from the National Geographic (if red
doesn't suit you, scroll down and pick another color).
http://lifeinred.notlong.com

Thank you Jo, Jerry, John, Cranz and Randi.

Last word, from Lisa:

Life is just a continuing adventure, that's for sure.
Don's been making soy "ice cream" for me lately and we keep
saying we'll get an ice cream freezer to eliminate the
ice crystals.  Anyone who can't tolerate dairy knows how
you can miss ice cream.  Occasionally we find soy ice
cream in the stores but is obscenely expensive and the
flavors very limited.

We ordered an ice cream freezer and are waiting with
bated breath.  I'm all ready with recipes and enthusiasm.

The adventure continues...

Lisa

Our feedback form (goes to both of us):
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549

Lisa's blogs.
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/dirtgoddess
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Don's blogs.
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
6:25 PM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as
computer users, are software developers.  The world's coolest
computer, without software, is like a car without fuel.  It
might look great, but what can it do?  It doesn't matter who
produces the software you love and use regularly, the developers
of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get
without cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the
unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to register, and be
constantly on guard against giving away personal information.
Use a firewall, and provide only the barest minimum of
information on questionnaires.