[donspatch] 2007-06-00 (prelude)

  • From: "Don Crowder" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 01:26:29 -0500

Don's Patch #71 Prelude from http://www.don-guitar.com  April 1, 2007

Well, it had to happen sooner or later.  Lisa and I have finally missed a
deadline.  I'm not even going to try and itemize everything that's come
between us and finishing the ezine but we have started on it and you
can look for it in your inbox sometime on the 3rd.

Meanwhile, just to let you know we're thinking about you here are a
few useful links.

I don't often need a calendar but not long ago I downloaded Mozilla
Sunbird just to give it a look-see.  This is a very nice calendar app
with lots of features I'll probably never use but I like it better all the
time and it's available for Windows, Linux or Mac OS X.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/

Another Mozilla product, Firefox, has just been updated again so,
if you're a Firefox user and don't have the update, you can click on
"Help", "Check for Updates..." and follow the instructions on the
screen.  If you haven't tried Firefox you might consider it.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

SeaMonkey is an Internet Suite, from Mozilla, which includes a
browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client,
and HTML editing capabilities.  Available for Windows, Linux or
Mac OS X.   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
The Debian Linux version of SeaMonkey is called IceApe and,
while I don't use the email client I really like the browser.  In
Windows you have to download the entire suite but during the
install you can click a radio button to specify installing the
browser only.

I started using Abiword at version .7 on my Windows 98
computer and I really liked it, even though it was often very
buggy in operation.  By now, Abi has matured to version
2.4.6 and isn't in the least buggy.  I have it installed on
both my Windows and Linux (Debian Etch) computers.
For me, being without Abiword doesn't compute.
http://www.abisource.com/

Frozen Bubble is a popular game found on many Linux
computers and is widely considered to be the "most
addictive computer game ever created".  I don't know
about that but it certainly didn't take me long to install
the Windows version once I found it.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fb-win32/
(Use the "Esc" key repeatedly to exit and, by the way,
Linux users have a newer, nicer version)

One thing I did finally get finished was the contact form on our
website.  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don

(Lisa adds)

We're sitting at our computers this evening doing our assorted and
numerous duties, which is what we do instead of watching television.
One of my most treasured addictions has been gardening, something
I've gotten into in a big way just this year.  I've taken classes to
become a Master Gardener.  This link will tell you what it is.  Check
out the Master Gardener projects in your area to see what they're
doing to educate and beautify your community.
http://www.ahs.org/master_gardeners/index.htm

Low-rise pants; just say no!
http://www.slate.com/id/2089623/

Fairly hideously designed website is a mine (snicker) of info on salt.  It's
an essential part of human history, and a fascinating subject.
http://www.saltinstitute.org/

Cool info and crafts with Ivory Soap.
http://www.ivory.com/PureFun.htm

See you in a day or two,