[donspatch] 2006-05-01

  • From: "Don Guitar" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 00:18:25 -0500

Don's Patch Issue #2006-05-01 from http://www.don-guitar.com

First word, from Don:

Irving Stein sent me a link to Pandora where I've discovered some
really good music.  So far I've set up five stations that I really like.
Station "Tito Puente".      http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh24858487
Station "Spyro Gyra".      http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh24859511
Station "Dave Brubeck".   http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh24858630
Station  "Lalo Schifrin".    http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh24857841
Station "B. B. King".        http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh24951290

Of course we're not about to give up Shoutcast either.

Our shoutcast choices:
Latin Salsa:   http://66.28.200.122:7100 or http://snipurl.com/pu1c
Flamenco:     http://207.200.96.227:8000 or http://snipurl.com/pu1f
BluesOnAir:   http://211.113.235.72:8422 or http://snipurl.com/pu1g
AtlantaBlues:  http://66.0.192.157:8000 or http://snipurl.com/pu1j

Hey, hey, hey here we are again.  When we're working together Lisa
tells people "there's no extra charge for the Don and Lisa show".
I guess that's true here too.  No extra charge, so enjoy the show.
Hang on, here we go.

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Don at MySpace.com:  http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A Linux live CD for the devoutly paranoid.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/anonym-os

I've kept up the search for the ideal Linux distribution to use in
older Windows 95 and 98 machines.   Here are some good
candidates I've found recently (these are not live CDs).
http://stibs.cc/stx/
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-n/
http://caos.caosity.org/index.html
http://www.delilinux.de/

This live CD represents one of the more exotic Linux distros.
http://www.elivecd.org/

Linspire, a very popular Linux distro, has released an Open
Source version.   http://www.freespire.org/

Additional Linux resources.
From IBM.   http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/
International site for Linux beginners.  http://www.reallylinux.com/
List of Linux distributions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
A Linux magazine from the U.K.   http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/
A friendly and active Linux Community.   http://www.linuxquestions.org/
Fedora resource.   http://titaniclinux.net/cms/FC?link=linux
Dave's desktop.   http://www.virtualsky.net/daves/index.htm

Kids online.   http://www.kids-online.net/

August 5th is Left-Handers Day.   http://www.lefthandersday.com/

Texas Information Literacy Tutorial.   http://tilt.lib.utsystem.edu/

The Internet describes the Internet.   http://www.livinginternet.com/

You may prefer to skip this one if you have a dial-up connection
but I think it's worth the wait.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4668196322523357460

Over 5,700 US Department of Defense terms and over 100,000
military and government acronyms and abbreviations.
http://www.militarywords.com/

A brief study of artist Joan Miró (1893 - 1983).
http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~malek/Miro.html
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/miro_joan.html
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/miro.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Mir%C3%B3
http://www.artelino.com/articles/joan_miro.asp

Find dictionary words for crossword puzzles, code words
and word games like Scrabble, Upwords and Jamble.
http://www.morewords.com/

Keyboard shortcuts for leading Microsoft products.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/keyboard.aspx

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

CPU frequency control for notebooks running Windows XP.
http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html

How about a set of gauges for the computer?  Nifty app to
keep an eye on your system's systems.
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Find files and information on your hard drive.
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

Artwork looks like real painting.
http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

Find and remove duplicate files.
http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

Color picker with additional useful features.
http://www.colorschemer.com/colorpix_info.php

OK, I'm only going to list this one more time, to remind
those of you who haven't seen and heard it.  It will take
some time to load on dial-up, but it's worth it.
The National Song of India.

Here's a bit of weirdness for your reading pleasure.
http://www.rviewer.com/index.html

Play one of our favorite games online.  Very addictive!
http://glenn.sanson.free.fr/fb/play.html

Is this cute or what?  A Google video.
http://snipurl.com/prqz

If you're an atheist, you're in good company.
http://www.wonderfulatheistsofcfl.org/Quotes.htm
http://snipurl.com/prr5

If you're not, you're in good company.
http://www.thewonderoftheworld.com/newsrelease-flew.php

The Dutts family of India, has some wonderful photos.
http://www.thedutts.com/gallery/index.php

A correspondence gaming site.  http://gamesbyemail.com/

Mondo geek programming site.   http://www.geekpedia.com/

Keep track of your computer's functions.
http://www.areallysmallapp.com/

Patrick Fitzgerald, web content developer, woodworker,
family guy.   http://www.barelyfitz.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 295.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.adtmag.com/
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/
http://www.bermudasun.bm/
http://www.vogue.co.uk/
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/
http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeClassic/home.html
http://chronicle.com/news/
http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
http://www.cybernoon.com/default2.asp
http://www.dailyfreepress.com/
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/
http://www.fairfieldweekly.com/gbase/Cover/index
http://www.hindustantimes.com/
http://www.informit.com/
http://www.investmentnews.com/
http://home.iol.ie/
http://www.itwire.com.au/
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

One more link shortening service.   http://www.myturl.com/

An interesting utility I haven't mentioned in a while.  I don't use it.
I've no use for it really, but it remains interesting.
http://www.mycorkboard.com/

A photo-sharing site.   http://www.myphotoalbum.com/

Artist Nam June Paik (1932-2006).   http://www.paikstudios.com/

Useful?  I don't know, but interesting.
http://www.acad.bg/beginner/gnrt/

Ed Fink's panoramas.   http://www.bigeyeinthesky.com/

I emailed this company to ask them "Yes, but what can it do?".
They never answered me.   http://www.picotux.com/

Fred Voetsch's photo journal.   http://picturesof.net/

The Museum of Broadcast Communications.
http://www.museum.tv/home.php

I've waffled over trying to learn computer programming (at my age)
for years but if I ever work up the nerve, here's where I plan to start.
http://www.realbasic.com/

Robert Altman's celebrity photos.
http://www.altmanphoto.com/Catalog.1.html

Back in grade school my best friend and I used to write one another
notes that we'd laboriously encrypted with a substitution code.
This appears to be a more formal implementation of such a code.
http://www.rot13.org/

Lisa and I really enjoy the "SameGame" that's on our Linux computer
(PCLinuxOS) and because we've only one Linux computer I went looking
for a Windows version.  I found one too.
http://www.tjerngren.net/samegame/
It's a little "geeky" to install since it defaults to the "program" folder
and
there's not normally a folder by that name in Windows computers so
you have to let it create one or direct it to another folder of your
choosing.
Once the file is unzipped, you'll also have to create your own shortcut to
it as well and I hated the sounds that came with it but deleting the wav
files killed the program so I created some empty wav files to replace them.
http://www.don-guitar.com/software/sgsounds.zip

What would you like to know about RSS?   http://allrss.com/

Some online games.
http://www.rubytooth.com/
http://www.teagames.com/games/tuneups/play.php
http://www.trackwars.com/
http://upchucky.com/Home.html
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

Safe play for kids.   http://www.safetrider.org/

More for kids.   http://www.show.me.uk/

Here's a very nice applications package from the folks at Mozilla.

The Snow Goose Gallery.   http://www.thesnowgoosegallery.com/

I haven't mentioned this one since October of 2004 but it's a very
interesting site.   http://www.sodaplay.com/

SpeedFan is a (costless) program that monitors voltages, fan speeds
and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Smalltalk doesn't seem to be very complicated, but it is a computer
language.   http://www.smalltalk.org/main/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A smart, literate, interesting young lady, Heidi Bond.
http://www.qiken.org/

A short story by Isaac Asimov.
http://www.abelard.org/asimov.htm

Computer science tutorials and applets.
http://www.cs.usask.ca/resources/tutorials/csconcepts/index.html

Clinical case computer tutorials in biochemistry.
http://snipurl.com/pt6s

We mention this site often.  The best self-education site.
http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/

IT tutorials.   http://www.itarchitect.com/tutorials.jhtml

Lots of people want to know more about firewalls.
http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/reference/firewalls1.html

Words;
Commonly confused.   http://snipurl.com/pt7l
Fun with.   http://rinkworks.com/words/
Buzz.   http://www.buzzwhack.com/
Comix without.   http://www.bugpowder.com/andy/_comix.ohne.worte.html
Cool.   http://www.altmanphoto.com/Fun.To.Say.Cool.Words.html
Literate.   http://www.chicklit.com/

Help for new teachers.
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/services/ocsd/firstwords/fwconts.html

Lots and lots of comics.   http://www.bugpowder.com/andy/index.html

Coloring, drawing, activities, jokes and riddles.
http://www.cartooncritters.com/onlinecoloring.htm

Billy Bear's page for kids.   http://www.billybear4kids.com/

Games and activities for kids.   http://www.c-n.com/courierkids/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Our feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Command line reference for Oracle, Windows, Linux and OS X.
http://www.ss64.com/index.html

The "Badware" problem.   http://www.stopbadware.org/

Write your own story, sort-of.  Refresh the page to get a new
topic.   http://stuff.mit.edu/storyfun

Strange Science.   http://www.strangescience.net/

Wanna Sudoku puzzle?   http://www.sudokupuzzlesonline.com/

The official W3C list of implementations of Scalable Vector Graphics
(SVG).   http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-Implementations

SyncBack is an multi-award winning (costless) program that
helps you easily backup and synchronize your files.
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

A nice collection of costless-apps and reading matter.
http://www.sysinternals.com/

Tactile Graphics, An Overview and Resource Guide.
http://dots.physics.orst.edu/tactile/tactile.html

Make lists and get stuff done.   http://www.tadalist.com/

Talk radio.   http://www.radiotalk.org/

Academy of (American) Television Arts and Sciences.
http://www.emmys.tv/

Test your ESP (I totally bombed this test).
http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/esp1.htm

Ricky Sarile's website.   http://www.veranda.com.ph/rps/

Um, well you take two notions like 'online communities' and
'online office apps' and jam them together and you'll get something
like this.   http://www.thinkfree.com/common/main.tfo

The writing of Robert Harris.   http://www.virtualsalt.com/

An artsy, architectural, blog-like website.
http://www.tropolism.com/artisttecture/

Seek and you may learn.   http://www.tutorialfind.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Uncommon amusements for grownups and children.
http://www.meddybemps.com/

Baby shower games.  http://store.yahoo.com/swack/freegames.html

Costless PDF reader. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Improbable Research, administers of the Ig Nobel prize.
Go ahead, laugh; then think.   http://improbable.com/

Spoof of Hammacher Schlemmer.   http://www.antonsledgehammer.com/

Lots of famous people died young.  Not me, no thanks.
http://snipurl.com/pu8d

The John Carney show.
http://www.carneyshow.com/html/jackcarney.html#lonelyhearts

"Remember, remember the 5th of November."
http://www.show.me.uk/gunpowderplot/

The rock balancing art of Bill Dan.
http://www.rock-on-rock-on.com/

Imagine the Universe, from NASA.
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/

A self-confessed Unix nerd.   http://involution.com/

Remember or hear about the Mercury Theater? Listen to the
original shows.   http://www.mercurytheatre.info/

The Gemini Observatory.   http://www.gemini.edu/

European Architects.   http://193.74.228.82/

The gadgets weblog.   http://gizmodo.com/

Costless wallpapers.   http://www.wallpaperbase.com/

Articles and essays on history, science, religion and
philosophy.   http://www.bede.org.uk/contents.htm

Can't get enough of the Garbage Pail Kids?
http://www.garbagepailkids.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites everyone should know about.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and I highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Customize and simplify your Windows installation.
http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/

Unusual Research.   http://www.unusualresearch.com/

Resources for Visual Basic programmers.
http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/index.asp

The notion is pretty cool but it seems like it might have
security issues.   http://www.virtualsky.net/eyeos-article.html

Scenario:  A small group of friends and/or coworkers who wish
to communicate in a highly secure environment.  One potential
solution:   http://waste.sourceforge.net/

English literature and language come alive on the internet.
http://www.channel4.com/learning/microsites/W/waywithwords/

Susan Love's Website for Women.   http://www.susanlovemd.org/

A gardening and lawn-care resource.   http://www.weedalert.com/

Bodleian Library's Department of Special Collections and Western
Manuscripts.   http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/wmss.htm

WGBH is a major producer of content for public television, radio, and
the web.   http://www.wgbh.org/

Dr Hoiby's collection of goodies.   http://www.dr-hoiby.com/tools.php

The continuing seafaring adventures of Carolyn and Rick.
http://www.wind-borne.com/index.htm

An interactive presentation of the 86,800 most frequently used English
words.   http://www.wordcount.org/index2.html

Fin with words.   http://www.fun-with-words.com/

wordplays.   http://www.wordplays.com/p/index

Word search.   http://www.wordsearchfun.com/

Words from wordsmith.   http://wordsmith.org/

Writing help.
http://www.writinghelp-central.com/
http://www.writinghelptools.com/

XORP is an open source software router platform.

How safe is your home?   http://www.loris.net/zombie/

============== Humor =============

Things said by kids.

Part II

The Greeks were a highly sculptured people, and without them we
wouldn't have history.  The Greeks also had myths.  A myth is a
female moth.

Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose
of wedlock.  After his death, his career suffered a dramatic decline.

In the Olympic games, Greeks ran races, jumped, hurled
biscuits, and threw the java.

============== Tips ===============

Computer tutorials, forums and more.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

Elizabeth Boston's tips, tutorials and more.
http://asktcl.com/index.htm

computer Articles, Presentations and Tutorials.
http://vlaurie.com/index.html

======== Reader Contributions =========
A few links sent in by
reader and friend, Irving Stein.
 http://www.irvings-info-page.cityslide.com
=================================

World's Smallest Political Quiz.
http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

Strange.   http://www.strangecosmos.com/

Gizmo Richards' support alert.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/issues/al_current.htm

TeMerc Internet Countermeasures.   http://temerc.com/

Terry's Computer Tips.   http://www.terryscomputertips.com/

The Shadow (what does he know?  Check for yourself.).
http://theshadow.members.atlantic.net/

Here's a few, from Jo-Ann:
=================================

Planning a road trip?   http://www.etravelogue.com/

Lambiek Comiclopedia (this is cool).
http://lambiek.net/artists/index.htm

Librarians' Internet Index.   http://www.lii.org/

Lists of bests.   http://www.listsofbests.com/

Literature map.   http://literature-map.com/

New stuff in the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/new_words.htm

Julius "Nipsey" Russell (September 15, 1918 - October 2, 2005).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipsey_Russell

New office slang.
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/2005/03/new_office_slan.html

40 Things That Only Happen In Movies.
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/features/20moviethings.htm
More of interest on the main site.   http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/

Scott Cummins does some amazing things with pumpkins.
http://www.pumpkingutter.com/

=================================
Reader and friend John Lepse is a workaholic
in the health care industry.  You know, the
sort of person who really does care?  That's
John.  He usually manages to send me one
or two links for every issue.  I'm guessing he's
had some time off lately.  Here's a few from John.
=================================

101 Fabulous (costless)bies from PCWorld.   http://snipurl.com/psov

Purveyors of Useless Knowledge.   http://failedsuccess.com/

Home-made commercial for Firefox.  Some of these are very funny.
http://www.firefoxflicks.com/

It doesn't matter how you quit smoking, as long as you quit.  For me
all it took was learning that Lisa didn't smoke.
http://www.geocities.com/cupace/

Explore, search and discover earth.   http://earth.google.com/

 America's Oldest University.   http://www.podunk.com/

Information and resources on maintaining, optimizing, and securing
Windows XP.   http://www.jstechs.com/

The Webby awards.   http://www.webbyawards.com/

=================================

Jon Reed offered this interesting way to look at gas prices.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

=================================
              This issue's contributions from
            reader and friend Patrick Barden
=================================

A search engine for folks who like large print.
http://www.big.com/home.php

A Windows utility.   http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Very interesting (but stupid) *grin*.   http://digicc.com/fido/

It all started with one red paperclip.
http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/

Robert Sabuda's DIY cards.
http://robertsabuda.com/popmakesimple.asp

The religious affiliation of comic book characters.
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

=================================
Here's a few from my long-time friend, reader
and web sibling Vinette DePhillipe.
=================================

Funny crochet definitions.   http://snipurl.com/psqq

Yet another way to track gas prices.
http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx

A knitting resource.   http://www.dailyknitter.com/

Yarn guide.   http://www.bigyarnguide.com/

Knitting patterns.   http://snipurl.com/psqv

Devoted to people who consider themselves maniacs when
it comes to knitting socks.   http://www.sockamaniac.com/

The Socknitters Home Page.   http://www.socknitters.com/

Thank you Irv, Jo, John, John, Patrick and Vi.

=================================

Last word, from Lisa:

As you have probably guessed, I'm a bit of a Dirt Goddess.  The
neighbor across the street has threatened to turn his lawn chair
around because watching me makes him tired.  But it's probably an
old joke for him, his wife, a *very* normal person, works even
harder in the yard than I do.  This year, since we have more time
at home, I'm improving the yard a bit.  Have to do it now, soon
temps will be in the triple digits here in Central Texas.  Learned
to repair a rock wall yesterday. This morning I got two dozen
Siberian Irises in the planting bed out front, I'm shooting for a
couple dozen white irises in the morning.  'Til next time....

Live, love, plant.

Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html
Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Monday, May 1, 2006
12:20 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This is a reader-supported publication.
You can show your support by making
a contribution in any amount you choose.
No contribution is too small.
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html