[donspatch] 2006-04-15

  • From: "Don Guitar" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:29:34 -0500

Don's Patch Issue #2006-01-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

First words, from Don:

Seems like we're pressed for time with every issue these days and
this one's no different.  As I write this, I haven't finished with the
income tax forms which have to be mailed in three days, the
laundry isn't finished (it's in the dryer) and I'm just getting started
on this issue of the ezine.   No problem.  I can deal with it *grin*.

Let's get started.

Oh yeah, on a lark, I registered with myspace.com.
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

Want one of your own?   http://www.myspace.com/

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Fast plants.   http://www.fastplants.org/

For advisers, teachers, careers co-ordinators and other professionals .
http://www.fasttomato.com/

Looking for a scholarship?   http://www.fastweb.com/

Fetchmail is a full-featured, robust, well-documented remote-mail
retrieval and forwarding utility.  http://fetchmail.berlios.de/
FetchYahoo is a Perl script that downloads mail from a Yahoo
account.  http://fetchyahoo.twizzler.org/

Lots of nice goodies from Mediachance.
http://www.mediachance.com/free/
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html

Online games.
http://www.fingertime.com/
http://www.stopbeingbored.com/
http://www.idleworm.com/gms/
http://www.surfnetkids.com/games/
http://www.popcap.com/
http://www.karn.nu/spacerunner.html (1 game, easy, cool)

Feminist International Radio Endeavour.
http://www.fire.or.cr/indexeng.htm

 Folder Size for Windows 2.3 looks like a handy utility but I had
to right click on the "little red x" and select "Show picture" to
see the image.   http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

I don't know a darn thing about it, but here's something I found (in
my Linux research) that looks interesting.   http://www.freebsd.org/

A useful looking backup utility.   http://fbim.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/g4u/

Here's a good site for the youngsters.
http://muppets.go.com/main.html
and a game that us "old timers" can play too.
http://muppets.go.com/games/muppets-flyinggonzo.html

Goodies from GRC.   http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

Are you interested in satellites or astronomy?
http://www.heavens-above.com/

The price of automobile fuel today, yesterday, a month ago, and
last year.   http://198.6.95.31/

There lives a type of person who's never going to be happy with idiot lights
in his or her car.  This is a person who must have gauges,  If you're that
type of person, and you have an Intel CPU in your computer, here's a
spiffy toy for you.   http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Internet safety for Australians (determined foreigners may be able to learn
something here too, I don't know).   http://www.netalert.net.au/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Some unusual cats.
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/sphynx.html
http://messybeast.com/poly-cats.html

Who was Mrs. Beeton?   http://snipurl.com/p2j1

Crank up the sound and enjoy.
http://www.desktopblues.lichtlabor.ch/

Australia in photos and art.
http://www.australian-images.com/

Car and deep-cycle battery FAQ
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/

Listen to a short sponsored message and get costless
directory assistance.   http://1800411save.com/

Several interesting pages from Alcyone Systems.
http://www.alcyone.com/birthday.html
http://www.alcyone.com/alcyone.html
http://www.alcyone.com/planet.html
http://www.alcyone.com/pleiades.html

Satellite designed to study the Earth's aurora.
http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/fast/

National Center for Education Statistics.
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/

The 80's were a great time for movies.
http://www.fast-rewind.com/

Fast food facts.   http://www.foodfacts.info/

If you thought a particular car was cool, it's here.
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/

The crossword puzzle, totally redesigned.
http://crickler.com/

The Enigma Puzzle.
http://members.shaw.ca/energythief/start.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 297.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.endeavornews.com/
http://www.macintouch.com/
http://www.media-visions.com/index.htm
http://www.memsnet.org/
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/
http://www.metroactive.com/
http://www.middleeast.org/launch/
http://drunkard.com/
http://w.moreover.com/
http://germanyalert.com/
http://www.businessday.co.za/
http://www.themorningnews.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The Internet Storm Center (the idea seems good but their
colors are horrible).  http://isc.sans.org/

Photos from Juan Ibaceta of Leuven, Belgium.
http://juan_pictures.blogspot.com/

A computer knowledge center.
http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/index.html

On converting your mp3 files to regular music CDs.
http://lars.naken.cc/home.php

Some Linux goodies.
Applications finder.   http://linuxappfinder.com/
Newbie guide.   http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/
Another resource for Linux newbies.
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Main_Page
One more great site for Linux beginners.
http://www.tuxs.org/
Distros downloads.  http://linuxtracker.org/
Linux on a floppy disk.   http://www.pocket-lnx.org/
A Linux news source.   http://www.pclinuxonline.com/
More Linux news.   http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php
Rosetta stone for Unix and related systems.
http://bhami.com/rosetta.html
The quintessential online Linux magazine.
http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

An ad-supported local business search resource.
http://www.looboo.com/index.html

Lunar Institute of Technology.  http://www.ibiblio.org/lunar/school/

Website of a gaming geek.  http://www.mandrixx.net/

U.S. Marine Corp stories and stuff.
http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/Home/index.asp

Medical Humanities.   http://mchip00.nyu.edu/lit-med/medhum.html

Memtest86 is thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture
computers.   BIOS based memory tests are a quick, cursory check
and often miss many of the failures that are detected by Memtest86.
http://www.memtest86.com/

My only exposure to British police persons has, thus far, been the
British Comedies on PBS but I'm sure there's far more to them than that.
http://www.met.police.uk/index.shtml

MoonEdit is Tom Dobrowolski's multi-platform collaborative text editor
(very cool).   http://me.sphere.pl/indexen.htm

A resource for aspiring screenwriters.   http://www.moviebytes.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

AAA with no cars.
Accounting.   http://aaahq.org/
Actuaries.   http://www.actuary.org/
Admin. Assistants.   http://www.aaa.ca/
Aikido.   http://www.aaa-aikido.com/index2.htm
Ambulances.   http://www.the-aaa.org/
Anatomy.   http://www.anatomy.org/
Anthropology.   http://www.aaanet.org/
Architecture.   http://www.aaa.ab.ca/
Archeology.   http://www.australianarchaeologicalassociation.com.au/
Art.   http://www.aaa.si.edu/
Asian Art.   http://www.aaa.org.hk/index.html
Astronomy.   http://www.aaa.org/
Athletics.   http://www.englandathletics.org/
Audiology.   http://www.audiology.org/index.php
Aussie Architecture.   http://www.architecture.org.au/
Avalanches.   http://www.americanavalancheassociation.org/
Backgrounds.   http://www.aaabackgrounds.com/
Booksearch.   http://www.aaabooksearch.com/
Buttons.   http://www.aaa-buttons.com/
Math.   http://www.aaamath.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A nice tool for anyone using AIX, DG/UX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, IRIX,
Linux, Mac OS X, NCR Unix, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Reliant, SCO
UnixWare, Solaris, SunOS 4, Tru64, or UNICOS.
http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

An analog desktop clock featuring skins, transparency and zoom.
http://alwact.atspace.com/

A link-shortening website.  http://digbig.com/

This is a cool Java version of a game I've played on a Linux computer.
What's cool is that it's identical to the one on the computer.  Left and
right arrows do the aiming and the up arrow "fires".  The up arrow
also begins the game and starts each level.  Click the up arrow to
fire (begin).    http://www.linxos.com/modules/frozen_bubble/

I found a couple of hard drive partitioning utilities that look interesting.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
http://partitionlogic.org.uk/index.html
(either of them could prepare a hard drive for a Linux install)

It's developer thinks a lot of this email client.  http://www.mutt.org/

Natural history (from the UK).
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/index.html

Empowering consumers.  http://www.my3cents.com/

This site contends that names are important.
http://www.kabalarians.com/index.cfm

Warnings by email, from the U.S. government no less.
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/signup.html

NASA Quest.   http://quest.arc.nasa.gov/

No more AOL CDs.   http://nomoreaolcds.com/

What does your phone number spell?
http://www.phonespell.org/
This reminds me of a game we used to play.  Pick two words
which have a combined total of seven letters, precede them
with 1-800, and dial them just to see what you get.  Of course
these days no prefix, 800 or otherwise, is guaranteed to be a
toll free call and there's a lot of weirdness out there so the
game isn't as much fun as it used to be.  *grin*

(U.S.) National Weather Service, Central Region Headquarters.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crh/

Crossword puzzle help.   http://www.oneacross.com/

The official site of Charlie Petitt and family.
http://www.ookingdom.com/

Open in Regedit, an interesting Internet Explorer add-in.
http://www.petri.co.il/open_in_regedit_in_ie.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Good variation on a web favorite, the interactive cat.
http://home.postech.ac.kr/~twirung/flash/cat.swf

Play 9-ball online.
http://upchucky.com/flash-games-9ball.html

This cute little game is controlled by arrow keys.
http://www.drstrangeblix.co.uk/

Change through enterpreneurship.
http://www.endeavor.org/english/english.html

The impact of information technology upon our future can
only be guessed at, but the shape of things to come will
be guided by our needs and desires.  Being aware of the
forces that shape the future makes us a part of the process.
http://endeavour.cs.berkeley.edu/

Australian Maritime Museum.   http://www.anmm.gov.au/

Physics and philosophy of time.
http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/blackdraxon/index.htm

Some nifty costless apps.
http://www.eusing.com/

Amish Hosting? C'mon.   http://www.amishhosting.com/

Dell Inspiron 8x00 fan control utility.
http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

EAC is a new (costless) audio grabber for CD-ROM
drives.  http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP)
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dbpoweramp.htm

CPU frequency control for notebooks running Windows
XP.   http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html

Intel Active Monitor utility.
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Canada's coolest (as in brrrr...) military base.
http://snipurl.com/p2hz

What is face-blindness?
http://www.choisser.com/faceblind/

File searching utility.
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

App for finding and removing duplicate files.
http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

Mostly costless useful little programs.
http://www.orbit.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites everyone should know about.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and I highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

How long will your password stand up.
http://www.thecrypt.co.uk/lockdown/recovery_speeds.html

One for the kids (an oldie but a goodie).
http://pbskids.org/

This page is missing some graphic link ads (aw shucks)
but the hardware info, on building your own PC seems ok.
http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/hardware.htm

The final frontier.
http://www.spacefuture.com/
http://www.aerospaceguide.net/
http://www.marsinstitute.info/rd/faculty/dportree/rtr/
http://www.tour2space.com/
http://www.xprizefoundation.com/
http://www.spaceadventures.com/
http://www.asi.org/
http://www.spaceday.org/index.html
http://www.affordablespaceflight.com/

SpaceMonger is a tool for keeping track of the free space on your
computer.   http://www.werkema.com/software/spacemonger.html

Eclectic apps from 23 year old Thong (pronounced 'Tum')
Nguyen in Christchurch city, New Zealand.
http://www.veridicus.com/tummy/programming/

A nice tool for digital camera images.
http://digbig.com/4hdmb

When your computer crashes you want to get your data
back.   Rescue CDs can offer one way to do just that.
http://www.911cd.net/
http://www.ivarch.com/programs/rescue.shtml
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/knoppix/knoppix_rescue.htm
http://snipurl.com/p6ah
http://rescuecd.sourceforge.net/
http://rescuecd.pld-linux.org/
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
http://knopperdisk.knopper.tk/
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Linux and Windows goodies from Rimrock.
http://www.rimrocksoftware.com/download.php?list.3
http://www.rimrocksoftware.com/download.php?list.4
http://www.rimrocksoftware.com/download.php?list.2  (Linux)
http://www.rimrocksoftware.com/download.php?list.1  (Windows)

============== Humor =============

Things said by kids.

Part I

Ancient Egypt was inhabited by mummies and they all wrote in
hydraulics. They lived in the Sarah Dessert. The climate of the
Sarah is such that all the inhabitants have to live elsewhere.

Moses led the Hebrew slaves to the Red Sea where they made
unleavened bread, which is bread made without any ingredients.
Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten commandments.
He died before he ever reached Canada.

Solomon had three hundred wives and seven hundred porcupines.

============== Tips ===============

HAUG Computer Tips & Tricks.
http://haug.hrdy.net/tip/lookgb.php

A few scanning tips.  http://www.scantips.com/

20 Questions How the Net Works.
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/20quests/hownet.htm

======== Reader Contributions =========

reader H. Davis has, like us, been exploring Linux and sent this
article about using both Windows and Linux on the same machine
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130715
as well as this link to the "Ultimate Boot CD".
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

=================================
 This issue's contributions from
 reader and friend Irving Stein
 http://www.irvings-info-page.cityslide.com
=================================
Asking random companies for free stuff.
http://www.the39dollarexperiment.com/

An interesting cat.
http://www.broenink-art.nl/maukie2.swf

This guy is really a dreamer.
http://www.briansprediction.com/

Reverse phone directory.
http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/

Shutting down Windows on time.
http://www.vcsoftwares.com/sa.html

For persons with no judgement, use McAfee's (they're owned by
Microsoft).   http://www.siteadvisor.com/

Irv likes SpywareBlaster.  So do I.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpywareBlaster_d2859.html

XP standby or hibernate?   http://snipurl.com/p6e5

Steve Bass's Tips & Tweaks.
http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/

Here's a few, from Jo-Ann:

African American Genealogy on the Web.
http://www.princeton.lib.nj.us/robeson/genealogylinks.html

Folding air in specially prepared latex balloons.
http://www.airigami.com/

Alton Brown's recipe for adventure.  http://www.altonbrown.com/

Jo says this site is worth exploring but it may require a fast
connection.   http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/

Before Ellis island   http://www.ellisisland.org/
there was Castle Garden.   http://www.castlegarden.org/

On chick flicks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_flick
http://members.aol.com/KShaskan/chickflick.html

Children Today.   http://childrentoday.com/

Deadly maps.
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/static/npp/deadlymaps.cfm

Dr. Sputnik's society pages.   http://www.drsputnik.com/

The Free Expression Policy Project.
http://www.fepproject.org/

Kaleidoscope Painter.
http://www.permadi.com/java/spaint/spaint.html

=================================
From our friend Tim Skyrme of artzend.   http://www.artzend.com/

An interesting collection of photography.
http://www.ezprezzo.com/index.html

=================================
              This issue's contributions from
            reader and friend Patrick Barden

A large print search engine.   http://www.big.com/home.php

A hard drive utility.  http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Making paper pop-ups.  http://robertsabuda.com/popmakesimple.asp

Automobile seating etiquette.   http://www.shotgunguide.com/

=================================
After reading about the trouble I was having with a KVM switch
my friend Peter Ekkerman found me a possible software-solution.
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Thank you H.D., Irv, Jo, Tim, Patrick and Peter.

=================================

Last words, from Lisa:

Don and I have remarked so many times that it's an incredibly
empowering thing to be able to cook. To check the pantry and
the fridge and come up with a wonderful meal is to be in control
of one's life.  In some instances it can also save your life.
If you have food sensitivities or allergies you can understand
the feeling.  To look in the fridge, walk through a supermarket
or sit with a restaurant menu in front of you and wonder, "What
can I eat that won't half kill me?" is a frustrating (and hungry)
experience. Everyday we have the opportunity to learn to cook.

If you think you can't cook, try a simple recipe like our
Hamburger Soup,

http://www.don-guitar.com/hambsoup.html

or a simple pasta sauce.  Then heat and eat at the end of a long,
hard day instead of stopping at the local GreaseBurger.  You'll
be looking for recipes and inventing your own in short order.

Live, love, eat.

Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html
Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Friday, April 14, 2006
2:43 PM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This is a reader-supported publication.
You can show your support by making
a contribution in any amount you choose.
No contribution is too small.
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html