[donspatch] 2005-10-15

  • From: "Don Crowder" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:55:25 -0500

Don's Patch Issue #2005-10-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Hello again everyone.  I've just updated our personal info page.  If
you're up for some light reading, that's available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

My working folder is chock full of goodies for this issue so let's
just cut to the chase.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Turn your internet browser into a presentation viewer.
http://slideshow.rockhoward.com/

Assisting people with severe communication disabilities.
http://aac.unl.edu/

About.com is a huge and extremely diverse website.  I avoid listing their
topical pages when I'm doing special features because navigating their
site can be a complicated hassle but there's a wealth of useful information
on the site and it's more than worth the time it takes to find.
http://about.com/

Information and news from Africa.   http://www.africaalmanac.com/

Gardening resources:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/  (great for zones 7 and 8)
http://www.blossomswap.com/
http://www.gardenfairy.com/
http://www.gardenguides.com/
http://www.theheirloomgarden.com/

An ad supported, but interesting, web portal.
http://webalmanac.allinfoabout.com/

A dictionary of all-vowel words (or sounds).
http://www.blueray.com/dictionary/vowel/
A few more interesting dictionaries.   http://blueray.com/dictionary/

The Alternative Energy Institute.
http://www.wtamu.edu/research/aei/index.htm

The Institute for Alternative Futures.    http://www.altfutures.com/

Information on, and photographs of, herbals.  http://altnature.com/

Non-drug approaches for mental health.
http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/

Here's a notion that keeps coming back year after year.   http://cats.org/

Alternative photographic processes.
http://www.alternativephotography.com/

Alternative religion.    http://www.alternativeworship.org/

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Group.    http://www.altfuels.com/

An art portal.    http://altpick.com/

I avidly dislike and thus don't have Quicktime, the Real Player, or Windows
Media Player on my computer  but I can still play most audio or video files
with a costless app named Media Player Classic which can be acquired
rom SourceForge, here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
or obtained as a component of the K-Lite or Mega Codec Packs from this site.
http://www.codecguide.com/
The download will be time consuming on a dial-up connection but well worth
the wait if you share my feelings for the apps thereby replaced.

I've mentioned this one before but it's more than worth repeating.
Here's a terrific resource for anyone who's vision is impaired.
http://www.magnifiers.org/

Linux is slowly coming into it's own as a serious, powerful, and
user-friendly operating system.   Ubuntu is probably one of the
many very good reasons why.  You can try Ubuntu Linux on your
system with a "Live CD" or get a copy of the install CD.  If the
sheer size of the download intimidates you, just give them your
snail mail address and they'll send you a copy.  This is
really awesome, check it out.    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

The American Cancer Society.   http://www.cancer.org/

The American Fisheries Society.   http://www.fisheries.org/

A digital publishing initiative that provides Internet access to texts,
images, and audio files related to Southern history, literature, and
culture from the colonial period through the first decades of the
20th century.    http://docsouth.unc.edu/

They have no electricity, automobiles, tractors, or power tools but you can
still find them on the web along with everyone, and everything, else.
http://www.amishcountry.org/index.php

Neither you or I are likely to have any commercial use for an "animated
avatar" but they're still pretty neat things to look at if they don't load
too
slowly on your connection.     http://www.oddcast.com/home/

Archiving the Avant-Garde.
http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/about_bampfa/avantgarde.html

Amnesty International USA.    http://www.amnestyusa.org/

Archiving Early America.    http://www.earlyamerica.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Recycling art for kids.   http://www.kinderart.com/recycle/

Photo galleries and/or digital slideshows.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Photoshop_Album_Starter_Edition_d4746.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/High_Definition_Picture_Album_d4552.html
http://www.artsconverge.com/ac/
http://web.mit.edu/edmond/www/eSlides.html
http://gallery.menalto.com/
http://www.gphotoshow.com/
http://www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/Slidy/
http://jalbum.net/
http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/slideshow/
http://www.lpj-software.com/
http://snipurl.com/e0cx
http://www.portmix.com/gallery/
http://www.s5presents.com/
http://www.k1ttt.net/software.html#bcra
http://www.soft32.com/download_124784.html
http://snipurl.com/ii6x
http://www.xat.com/xatshow/index.html
http://www.slideroll.com/

A fun resource for kids of all ages.    http://www.wsu.edu/DrUniverse/

This English-language site from Japan contains a wealth of art, not
all of which is, strictly speaking, family friendly, and some of which is
decidedly disquieting.   It also offers an interesting look at contemporary
Japanese culture.    http://www.assemblylanguage.com/t.html

A commercial site that nevertheless has some interesting stuff to play
with in the "Tools" and "Fun and Games" pages.    http://imagiware.com/

The Lite version of this app is without cost for personal use and
really pretty cool if you'd like a noisier environment.
http://www.relaxingsoftware.com/atmlitehome.htm

Exploring the complex history surrounding the invention of the atomic bomb.
http://www.atomicarchive.com/index.shtml

An almanac of authors.     http://www.crinkles.com/months.html

Instead of working for the last half hour I've been exploring Jane
McGonigal's
website.   Hope you enjoy it too.    http://www.avantgame.com/

A commercial, costless, promotional, real-world card publisher who's
business represents an interesting concept, frequently used as a venue
for public service messages, and the same cards can be sent, here in
the virtual world, as online greetings.    http://www.avantcard.com.au/

While it's about gaming, I can't decide whether it's a blog or a portal.
http://www.avantgaming.com/

An info depot for portable electronic devices.    http://www.avecmobile.com/

A bunch of odd birds.   http://users.ox.ac.uk/~kgroup/index.html

Travel portal.    http://www.thebigtravelguide.com/

Original midi music.
http://www.lynnemusic.com/midi.html
http://www.geocities.com/andyklapwyk/
http://www.brucedeboer.net/playmidi.html
http://www.angelfire.com/md/elanmichaels/MIDI.html
http://www.grandpaschober.com/
http://www.saunalahti.fi/jvester/main.htm
http://midistudio.com/midi/MW_ORIG.htm
http://www.mmmm-music.com/theallmidi.htm
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/fitzgerald/163/peter/peterw.html
http://www.miditrax.com/originalmidis.htm
http://www.usd.edu/~tgannon/miditun.html
http://www.fredparcells.com/MIDI%20Organizer%20Search%20Readme.htm
http://home.inreach.com/vicman/midi.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/mo/muchalls/music.html

The Bureau of Land Management administers 261 million surface acres
of America's public lands.    http://www.blm.gov/nhp/index.htm

A mini-feature on Bonsai.
http://internetbonsaiclub.org/
http://www.absbonsai.org/
http://www.bonsaiempire.com/
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/nbf/hiroshimasurvivor/ (awesome page)
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/
http://www.bonsaiprimer.com/
http://www.interworx.com.au/users/brian/
http://www.crashbonsai.com/  (commercial but funny too)
http://www.bonsaisite.com/

We've always been called "Boomers" but along the way we've also
been called "Hippies" and "Yuppies", usually capitalized.  Now we're
sometimes being quietly referred to as "senior citizens".
http://boomersint.org/

Steve Dunn's Cancer Guide.    http://www.cancerguide.org/

Interesting reading on the internet and computers,
from Eric S. Raymond.    http://www.catb.org/~esr/

An archive of architectural drawings.
http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2002/gilman/main.html

Chinese Farmer's Almanac (ad supported).
http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/Almanac.htm

A nanotech thinktank.   http://www.foresight.org/

Create your own city.   http://www.citycreator.com/

A photographic archive of the archaeological and architectural remains
of ancient Athens, Greece.    http://www.stoa.org/athens/index.html

Art critic, Clement Greenberg (1909-1994).
http://www.sharecom.ca/greenberg/

Eclectic reading from Yochai Benkler, a Professor of Law at Yale
Law School.     http://www.benkler.org/

An online library of manufacturers standard colors.
http://www.colorcharts.org/ccorg/default.aspx

Comic Book Awards Almanac.
http://users.rcn.com/aardy/comics/awards/

Common errors in English.    http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/

A collection of numbers relevant to computers, along with
references.    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bam/numbers/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 298.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.alternativeinsight.com/home.html
http://www.alwayson-network.com/index.php
http://www.missoulian.com/
http://www.mosnews.com/
http://beta.inq7.net/nation/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/main/
http://www.nationalreview.com/
http://www.nuj.org.uk/index.php
http://www.newscientist.com/home.ns
http://www.newropeans.org/en/index.php
http://www.boston.com/news/
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
http://www.asia-stat.com/
http://www.newsforge.com/
http://www.nitle.org/
http://www.rockspringsrecord.com/
http://www.nowpublic.com/
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/
http://us.altnews.com.au/drop/
http://www.chicagoreader.com/
http://chronicle.com/
http://www.chronogram.com/index.php
http://www.city-journal.org/
http://www.hemmings.com/
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/index.asp
http://www.doorcountycompass.com/
http://empirezine.com/
http://www.hq.usace.army.mil/cepa/pubs/apr02/apr02.htm
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/
http://www.foe.co.uk/index.html
http://www.d-n-i.net/
http://www.heritage.org/
http://www.mapleleafweb.com/main.shtml
http://romea.cz/english/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Art sites (exercise viewer discretion).
http://www.coolstop.com/
http://www.fetlerart.com/index.html
http://www.picturerealm.co.uk/
http://www.artencounter.com/
http://www.titusgallery.com/index.html

A UK television portal.   http://www.culttelly.co.uk/

Dangermouse.    http://www.dangermouse.org/

This website will do a google image search on your chosen keyword
and create slide show of the resulting images (results are filtered).
http://www.vispo.com/dbcinema/dbcinema.htm

Little known or suppressed facts about the colony of Washington DC.
http://prorev.com/dcfacts1.htm

For Grateful Dead fans.   http://www.dead.net/

We're talkin' math.   http://www.nctm.org/dialogues/

Serverside magic for technogeeks.    http://www.dotnetnuke.com/

Radical approaches to restoring the earth.  http://www.ecoartspace.org/

A U.S. DOE gateway to hundreds of Web sites and thousands of online
documents on energy efficiency and renewable energy.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/

Learn about Nonpoint Source Pollution (NPS pollution).
http://www.epa.gov/owow/nps/whatis.html

I was tempted to call this one a "search engine for horsing around" but
it's more accurately an equestrian information site.
http://www.equisearch.com/

A field guide to aquatic exotic plants and animals.
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/exotics/fieldguide.html

These little videos will be awfully slow loading on a dial-up connection
but they're fun, cute, and funny.   http://www.rathergood.com/

Lots to read and explore on David Warren Steel's site.
http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/~mudws/

A "goodies" portal (with pop-ups).   http://www.freebyte.com/

Following a catastrophic Windows crash, if you need a Windows CD
and don't have one, there's at least some chance you'll be able to
temporarily borrow a CD from someone but that won't be much help
if you need, and don't have your Product Key.  Here's how you can
find it.  Recording it, on paper, and storing it in a safe place is up to
you.    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Dogwaffle looks like it might be a useful paint application.  I had a
little trouble finding a link to the (costless) version but did finally
locate it about a third of the way down the page, on the right.
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free/index.html

Lisa has a number of food sensitivities which prevent her from consuming
wheat, corn, or milk.   The near impossibility of finding prepared foods
which contain none of these means that we do a lot of cooking.  Cooking
for her and sharing her diet had a nice side benefit for me.  I often have
heartburn and buy Tums in large bottles.  I've learned that if I don't eat
wheat I don't need antacid tablets.  Lisa has serious health problems
for most of her life and got no real help from conventional medicine.
What finally made a difference for her was a book entitled "Eat Right
4 Your Type".    http://www.dadamo.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

It's not a question of "if" Windows crashes, but
when Windows crashes, you can be prepared.
http://snipurl.com/1n65
http://snipurl.com/ihsu

Freevo is an open-source home theatre PC platform based on Linux
and a number of open-source audio/video tools.
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

Fun with words.   http://rinkworks.com/words/

A golf resource for Europe.   http://www.golfeurope.com/

A tool for gathering images with google.    http://snipurl.com/ihv1

Guinness World Records.   http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/

Gunther Anderson's music, booze, and other stuff.
http://www.guntheranderson.com/

A resource for stock traders.   http://www.stocktradersalmanac.com/

Home Schooling online.   http://www.home-schooling-online.org/

Learning html.    http://www.htmlcenter.com/

The Ig Nobel awards come with little cash, but much cachet, and
reward those research projects that 'first make people laugh, and
then make them think'.    http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-top.html

"I'm right, you're wrong"   http://www.imright.com/

 There is no machinery at The Imagination Factory, and smokestacks
don't pollute the air. Instead, they teach children and their caregivers
creative ways to recycle by making art.    http://www.kid-at-art.com/

Google's nifty little image tool, Picasa, was updated recently.
http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Maybe I'm just a skeptic.  As good as this looks, I'm going to wait
a while before looking into it.   http://www.imusicsearch.com/

ISAAC supports and encourages the best possible communication
methods for people who find communication difficult.
http://www.isaac-online.org/en/home.shtml

IT Sneak,
http://itsneak.itweek.co.uk/
is a blog from IT Week.
http://www.itweek.co.uk/

Kanotix as a Live-CD can access most any device without installation
of drivers beforehand. It is ideal for analysis, data rescue, forensic work,
removal of viruses on Windows systems.
http://www.kanotix.com/index.php?&newlang=eng

The Kazoo in popular music.     http://www.kazoos.com/popkazoo.htm

KBCafe search is an ad supported meta RSS search engine.
http://www.kbcafe.com/search.aspx#

Interesting words and great photos from Don Ellis.
http://www.kleptography.com/notes-intro.htm

Cryptovirology.    http://www.cryptovirology.com/

Legends of America.    http://www.legendsofamerica.com/

Leon's Almanac of Political History.
http://perspicuity.net/cgi/hypercal.cgi/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Roger Awsumb as Casey Jones, along with his sidekick, Lynn Dwyer
as Roundhouse Rodney, brought joy to children all over Minnesota
and the surrounding area.   http://www.lunchwithcasey.com/

The American Truck Historical Society.    http://www.aths.org/

The Model A Ford Club of America.   http://www.mafca.com/

The AA truck page.    http://www.netclassics.com/truck/aa-truck.html
A host of other pages from the same source.
http://www.netclassics.com/index2.html

Poetry, short stories, and essays by Nicole S. Porter.
http://www.themagicwords.com/

Marilyn (Marilyn vos Savant), who writes the "Ask Marilyn"
column for Parade magazine is, sometimes, wrong.
http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/marilyn.html

A math portal.    http://www.pballew.net/

Controversial or not, file sharing is here to stay.
http://morpheus.com/

If you aren't looking to buy a new home, leave this one alone.
If you're considering a new home, it might be useful.
http://mortgagealmanac.com/

The Muppets.   http://www.muppetcentral.com/
http://www.whysanity.net/muppets/index.html

Canadian nature.    http://www.mynature.ca/

Have you checked out the NPS lately?   http://www.nps.gov/

Do you know anyone who's just gone online with a brand new
computer?    http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/tutor/welcome.htm

Hmm, oh yeah?   http://www.fightmannequinism.org/index.asp

Pertinent facts about the National Institutes of Health.
http://www.nih.gov/about/almanac/index.html

Farmer's Almanac, TV.    http://www.farmersalmanactv.com/

Ontological Museum of the International Post-Dogmatist Group.
http://ontologicalmuseum.org/

People Against Under Construction Images.
http://www.andrews.edu/~rickyr/noconst.html

Dr. Paul Brians.    http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/

The Philosophy of Education Society.
http://www.ed.uiuc.edu/eps/PES-Yearbook/default.asp

I'm not suggesting you buy one of these T-Shirts but some of
them are fun to look at.    http://www.demockratees.com/

Poor Mojo's Almanac(k).    http://poormojo.org/

Games.   http://www.primarygames.com/

Recycle City.    http://www.epa.gov/recyclecity/

Roadtrips in America.    http://www.roadtripamerica.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Mark L. Donaldson's site seems to look better every time
I visit but his navigation is always a little tricky.  For example
the plain text listed above the underlined blue links, on his
main page, isn't plain text.  It too is links.
http://www.geocities.com/luem42/coolsites.html

An excellent Registry tool for Windows users.
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
A very nice HTML editor with live preview features.
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ehtmle.htm
Do you have an important date to remember?
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/synttare.htm

A few good links from the Highland Lakes Computer Club.
http://pages.tstar.net/~hlcc/
Memtest86 is thorough, stand alone memory test for x86
architecture computers.    http://www.memtest86.com/
A good resource on home networking.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/homenetworking.htm
Neat Image has a nifty little noise reduction tool for digital
images and it's (costless) for personal use.
http://www.neatimage.com/
Thanks HLCC.

Serious farmers all over the world are using more sophisticated,
environmentally friendly tools to fight crop damaging pests.
http://www.science.org.au/nova/041/041key.htm
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/ipm.html
http://cipm.ncsu.edu/
http://www.ippc.orst.edu/cicp/
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/ipm.htm
http://www.ipmalmanac.com/
http://www.ncipm.org/
http://ipmworld.umn.edu/
http://schoolipm.ifas.ufl.edu/
http://www.pestmanagement.co.uk/
http://www.ipmcenters.org/
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-708/426-708.html
There are an amazing number of pests out there too.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4157330.stm
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/misc/animalpe.html
http://www.forestpests.org/
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/garpests.html
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/pests.html
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/hortcrops/english/
http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/ES/PP/
http://www6.hcs.ohio-state.edu/pmi4_pest/search.htm
http://www.pestworldforkids.org/amazingpests.html

Just as I was about to post this I got an email from reader
John Lepse with a couple of good sites in it, like this great
cooking resource from Exploratorium.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/index.html
Of course the main site is terrific too.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/
Whether you want to know something about a big town, or a small
village, this site might be able to help.   http://www.epodunk.com/
They even had something to say about the little village where I
live.    http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=54885
Sahhhhhh-lute!   Thanks John.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites Everyone Should Know About.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and I highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

============== Humor =============

Musician's Humor, Part III

Q: What's the difference between a jet airplane and a trumpet?
A: About three decibels.

Q: What is another term for trombone?
A: A wind driven, manually operated, pitch approximator.

Q: What's the difference between a SCUD missile and a bad oboist?
A: A bad oboist can kill you.

Q: Why do clarinetists leave their cases on the dashboard?
A: So they can park in the handicapped zones.

Q: What's the difference between an opera singer and a pit bull?
A: Lipstick.

============== Tips ===============

http://www.cyberiapc.com/index.php
http://www.nthelp.com/default.htm
http://www.windows98.windowsreinstall.com/
http://www.computing.net/
http://www.daniweb.com/
http://learnpc.vze.com/
http://www.hildrum.com/
http://tech.mundayweb.com/

======== Reader Contributions =========

In the last issue I mentioned that reader George Gayman had
talked me into trying Opera.    http://www.opera.com/free/
Opera is the nicest looking browser I've tried, very easy to
customize which is important to me, and it's got excellent
pop-up blocking.  I really wish Slimbrowser, Firefox and
Opera all used the same Favorites folder so I could save a
site from whichever browser and then open it later in either
of the other two.  Nor does Opera integrate well with some
of the media playing software on my system so I have to
switch to Slimbrowser or Firefox once in a while in order to
see or hear a website.   Still, I like Opera a lot.
 Thanks George.

=================================

Which brings another exciting issue to it's conclusion. *grin*

We've had DSL for about two weeks now and we love it.  I've
ordered a gadget called a "router" (just under $20) that will
enable me to connect both of our computers to the same DSL
connection.  Of course they'll both run a little slower but that's
not really a big deal when we're both used to having a dial-up
connection and DSL at half speed is still a heck of a lot
faster than dial up.  It costs a little more than my dial-up
connection and I'll have to change my email address but
it's more than worth it.   For the last two weeks, I haven't
been booted even once.  *grin*

See you next time.

Don Crowder - Friday, October 14, 2005

8:55 PM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This is a reader-supported publication.   You can show your support by
making a contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª