[donspatch] 2005-03-15

  • From: "Don Crowder" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:52:12 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2005-03-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

This is going to be a tough issue for me.  Up until now I've had
a day off work in the week before the ezine was due but my last
day off was the eighth and my next day off will be the eighteenth.
I normally spend one or two hours a day searching out websites
for my next issue and eight to ten hours writing each issue.  The
actual writing doesn't take long but I check each link carefully,
one more time, before adding it to the ezine.  That makes it take
a while longer to write the ezine but improves my chances that
the links I post will still be good by the time you get the ezine.
When I first started writing this ezine (for Phil & Moke's Secret
Fr** Place) the average lifetime of a new website was 100 days.
As of a few minutes ago (when I did a Google search on the
subject) that's down to 44 days.  I normally list over a hundred
sites in each issue and while I'm no wizard in math, statistically
speaking, there ought to be one or two bad links in every issue.
If my actual numbers are better than that it's only because I've
acquired a little experience in making my selections but
experience is no match for statistics so every now and then a
website "goes away" between the time I check it and the time
you see it in my ezine.  I can't prevent that but I do all I can to
limit the possibility.  So, let's get on with it.

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Online news sources and/or magazines, various topics and spins.
http://www.newint.org/index4.html
http://aoreport.com/
http://www.northpeel.com/br/
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/fronts/HOME
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/
http://www.ucsbdailynexus.com/
http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/
http://www.economist.com/
http://www.newstarget.com/index.html
http://www.freezerbox.com/
http://billhobbs.com/
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/index.html
http://www.malaya.com.ph/
http://www.milwaukeemagazine.com/
http://www.radford.edu/rumag/current/index.html
http://www.scotsman.com/
http://www.semissourian.com/
http://www.unionrecord.com/index.php

Amaya is a Web editor, i.e. a tool used to create and update
documents directly on the Web.   http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

An introduction to the history and culture of Pharaonic Egypt.
http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/index.html

A web site devoted to providing information about arthritis and related
diseases, conditions, and treatments.   http://www.arthritistrust.org/

Ask the Dietitian.   http://www.dietitian.com/index.html

An interesting news and information portal.
http://www.assignmenteditor.com/

Audacity is fr**, open source software for recording and editing sounds.
It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other
operating systems.   http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Awesome Library organizes the Web with 26,000 carefully reviewed
resources, including the top 5 percent in education.
http://www.awesomelibrary.org/

Baby Bag is a commercial site that nevertheless offers some interesting
reading.   http://www.babybag.com/index.htm

A privately operated baseball information site.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/

Interesting things for bloggers.  http://www.blogthings.com/index.html

Online patient support groups for neurology.
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/index.php

Evidence-based nutritional knowledge and advice.
http://www.nutrition.org.uk/

The Calne Woodlands Camera Club site is well worth exploring.
http://www.calnecc.co.uk/index.htm

Here's a nice utility.  http://www.ccleaner.com/

Read the classics online.  http://www.classicreader.com/

My new favorite place to shop for groceries offers some nice recipes.
http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/recipeCategoryListAction.do

The Colong Foundation is the longest-serving community advocate for
wilderness in Australia.   http://www.colongwilderness.org.au/

Some of the less provincial of these consumer publications are worth
reading.  http://nutrition.tufts.edu/consumer/

I suppose this site should have been added to this issues collection
of for-what-it's-worth news/online-magazines but I found it especially
interesting and opted to list it separately.  This is a good resource
for writers or anyone interested in writing (or writers).
http://www.fwointl.com/artman/publish/index.shtml

Craftster is a forum for people who love to make things but who are
not inspired by scrapbooking with die-cut teddy bears, cross-stitched
home sweet home plaques, wooden boxes with ducks in bonnets
painted on.  If you've been known to run with scissors, cavort with
your fellow rebel DIY'ers here.   http://www.craftster.org/

Reader Randy Ombo, in response to my comments on cursors,
strongly recommended the costless version of CursorXP which is
available here:  http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorxp/
Of course I have no interest in changing my cursor so I won't be
trying this utility, sorry Randy, I'm a stick-in-the-mud on this issue,
but, as long as I've listed another site that has to do with cursors,
here are a few more of them.
http://www.cursormania.com/
http://snipurl.com/dfap
http://www.anicursor.com/index.html

This site isn't particularly family-friendly, it's on the border of
acceptability in my opinion, but it's nevertheless a great site
to know about if there's anything you'd like to get off your
chest.   http://www.duhdotcom.com/

Deficiency diseases and good nutrition.
http://waltonfeed.com/self/health/vit-min/index.html

Doctor yourself.   http://www.doctoryourself.com/index.html

How to dry (dehydrate) fruits and vegetables (because this is
a tripod site, there'll be a couple of pop-ups but the information
is good).   http://farmgal.tripod.com/Dehydrate.html

EdWeb was one of the very first websites on the Internet to examine
the role of the Web in education.   http://www.edwebproject.org/

How to shut off a jammed  automobile horn
http://www.ehow.com/how_112568_shut-jammed-horn.html
is but one of the many interesting things you can learn at eHow.
http://www.ehow.com/

Proponents of wind energy.   http://www.embracewind.com/

The greatest challenge to our planet's prosperity is the growing
number of human beings seeking happiness.  This isn't rocket
science; a fellow named Thomas Robert Malthus, who died in
the year 1834 saw it coming.  Here's a few links in Malthus.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/malthus.html
http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/profiles/malthus.htm
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/malthus/malthus.0.html
http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Biographies/Philosophy/Malthus.htm
http://desip.igc.org/malthus/
http://www.faculty.rsu.edu/~felwell/Theorists/Malthus/Index.htm
http://socserv2.socsci.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/malthus/
http://www.victorianweb.org/economics/malthus.html
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~kh/
http://www.npg.org/projects/malthus/malthus_index.htm
http://www.naf.org.au/papers.htm

Every time I delve into a specific topic, like "Malthus" in this instance,
I find a host of interesting sites along the way.  Here are a few such.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/modsbook.html
http://william-king.www.drexel.edu/top/prin/txt/EcoToC.html
http://www.econlib.org/index.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/index.html
http://encyclozine.com/
http://www.historyhome.co.uk/
http://www.courseworkbank.co.uk/
http://www.en.eun.org/eun.org2/eun/en/index_vs.cfm
http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/index.html
http://human-nature.com/
http://www.marxists.org/
http://www.populationinstitute.ca/index.htm
http://www.victorianweb.org/
http://www2.truman.edu/~rgraber/cultev/
http://www.thecornerhouse.org.uk/
http://www.txtwriter.com/
http://www.eh.net/
http://www.americanscientist.org/
http://whyfiles.org/
http://www.nndb.com/
http://greatchange.org/index.html
http://econpapers.repec.org/
http://www.abetterearth.org/
http://www.ncpa.org/newdpd/index.php
http://eserver.org/
http://www.junkscience.com/ (a worthy "rerun")
http://www.nlx.com/homepage.htm
http://www.ashton-dennis.org/
http://www.the-scientist.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Learn a little about Britain.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/default.asp
http://www.georesources.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.culture.gov.uk/
http://www.britishcouncil.org/
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Homepage/fs/en

The Etext Center at the University of Virginia Library.
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/

Frederico Caldeira Knabben's interesting little editor.
http://www.fckeditor.net/

This forum site claims to offer a voice to "disgruntled geeks
everywhere".   http://fearthegeek.com/main/

The Goal of the Famine Early Warning Systems Network is to
strengthen the abilities of African countries and regional organizations
to manage risk of food insecurity through the provision of timely and
analytical early warning and vulnerability information.
http://www.fews.net/

Online publications available from the United Nations University Press.
http://www.unu.edu/unupress/fulltext.html

Lessons and resources available from NASA.
http://www.nasaexplores.com/index.php

Food awareness information.
http://www.net-consumers.org/food/index.htm

Online image editing.
http://www.gifworks.com/

Fem power in Austin, Texas.
http://www.girlstownproductions.com/

A hair portal.   http://www.hairfinder.com/index.htm

Medicine Net.   http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/hp.asp

Wit, wisdom, stuff and nonsense from this Canadian site.
http://www.harvestfields.ca/

The world's healthiest foods.   http://www.whfoods.com/

Health and medicine in India.  http://www.healthlibrary.com/

A sports portal.   http://www.hickoksports.com/index.shtml

A history of bread.  http://www.earthgrains.com/profile/history.htm

The Institute of Historical Research.  http://www.history.ac.uk/

Life as it was lived a thousand years ago in Norse lands.
http://www.hurstwic.org/index.html

The UCLA Center for Human Nutrition.
http://www.cellinteractive.com/ucla/index.html

An online paper on human nutrition and dietary needs from
Dr. John Kimball's online biology textbook..
http://snipurl.com/dfe5
The main index to Dr Kimball's textbook is here:
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 281.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The International Plant Genetic Resources Institute.
http://www.ipgri.cgiar.org/index.htm

The International Swimming Hall of Fame.
http://www.ishof.org/index.html

JED is a cross-platform text editor.
http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/

jEdit is a mature and well-designed programmer's text editor with
seven years of development behind it.   http://www.jedit.org/

KidsHealth is for kids and parents.   http://kidshealth.org/

Whether your interest lies in learning better photography or simply
viewing awesome photos, this site is a terrific resource.
http://www.treklens.com/

Read the homepage to get an idea of what this Canadian non-profit
organization is about then explore the rest of the site.
http://www.legacies.ca/

Camera reviews and digital imaging resources.
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/index.html

London life and other photos.   http://www.londonphotos.org/

Low and no sodium recipes.   http://www.megaheart.com/

Information on micronutrients.   http://www.micronutrient.org/

Humor and help for all sorts of moms.
http://www.motherswithattitude.com/

Some "high tech", java, and HTML resources from Matthew Arcus.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~arcus/

Animal rights and vegetarian info from Mohan Embar.
http://www.thisiscool.com/mohan/arintro.html

Mules are very interesting, and useful, animals.
http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/mule.html
http://www.mulesandmore.com/

Because the line between helping yourself and letting someone
else dictate how you go about it is a gray and fuzzy thing I'm
apt to be skeptical of anyone who offers self-help information
and/or resources.  That being said, by way of disclaimer, here's
a self-help site.   http://www.mynewattitude.com/

The online National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh.
http://banglapedia.search.com.bd/

The New England Journal of Medicine.   http://content.nejm.org/

Here's an interesting concept.  You'll have to decide for yourself
whether it's valid or not.  Begin by selecting a language.
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

"Not from Maize and Beans Alone".  An article on human nutrition
by Dr. André Briend   http://www.ennonline.net/fex/05/ed3.html
from the Emergency Nutrition Network.  http://www.ennonline.net/

Nutrition, health & heart disease.   http://www.health-heart.org/

A complete web authoring system for Linux Desktop users as well
as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like
FrontPage and Dreamweaver.    http://www.nvu.com/

Have you wondered about the little symbols that appear on the
labels of some articles of clothing?
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5556.html
http://www.fairynonbio.co.uk/laundry/cl_allsymbols.shtml

An extensive FAQs resource, on various topics, from the
Ohio State University Extension.
http://www2.ag.ohio-state.edu/~udistrict/faqs/FAQs.htm

Weston A. Price had his own ideas about nutrition and found
more than a few folks who agreed with him.
http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

Interesting things from Beth Winter.
http://www.extenuation.net/psp/tutmain.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Pbase is about photography.   http://www.pbase.com/

These folks are very positive about their work.
http://www.positiveinstitute.com/

The pro wrestling online museum.
http://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/

Whether you need a better tool for plain text or a sophisticated
editor for programming, PSPad might offer a solution.
http://www.pspad.com/

Public domain mp3 files.   http://www.publicdomain4u.com/

Much to explore on this site about Robert Cathey.
http://www.navi.net/~rsc/

This is Nick Aster's personal website and blog where he
writes about a goodly number of interesting topics
http://www.thoughtsonthings.com/
including a plain-language description of RSS and how
it works.   http://snipurl.com/dfg9

More on RSS.
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/languages/xml/rss/intro/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)
http://www.faganfinder.com/search/rss.shtml
http://rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html
http://www.whatisrss.com/

An extensive directory of definitions for acronyms.
http://www.oclc.org/research/reference/acronyms/default.htm

There are a few things to explore on Antonio Zamora's site.
http://www.scientificpsychic.com/index.html

This site, by Barry Groves, Ph.D., claims to be exposing dietary
and medical misinformation (looks interesting too).
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/index.html

The South African Association for Food Science and Technology.
http://www.saafost.org.za/

Star Wars cartoon satire.
http://cartoons.sev.com.au/Sev-Space/Sev-Wars/

Providing sanctuary for exotic animals.
sanctuary for exotic animals

A couple of interesting sites sent in by reader John Lepse.

The website of author Keith Ryan.
http://www.keithryan.com/

The name of this humorous site says it all.
http://www.mycathatesyou.com/

Thanks John.

Who's into model aircraft?  http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/

A money resource.   http://www.themint.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

What's a quarter worth?
http://www.gregdooley.com/archive05/0210Wisconsin.html
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/09/pf/wisconsin_quarter/
http://coincollector.org/archives/002276.html
http://www.theomahachannel.com/money/4247715/detail.html

=================================

That's it folks.  I've run out of time for this issue.  Don't forget
to let me know if there's a topic that has special interest for
you, and, once in a while, let me know how I'm doing.

Thanks.

Don Crowder - Monday, March 14, 2005

9:48 PM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª