[donspatch] 2005-01-15

  • From: "Don at Lightspeed" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:02:08 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2005-01-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Howdy y'all.  Here's hopin' everthang is fine-n-dandy with each
`n evruh one of yuh (that was an "authentic" Texas-style
greeting).  Everything's pretty-much ok here in Tow and
2005 might just be a good year before it's over.  I can't say
just yet, check back with me after I've coped with the Internal
Revenue Service.

A couple of issues back I mentioned San Francisco Herb, my
favorite place to buy spices:   http://www.sfherb.com
My friend Mark L. Donaldson
http://www.geocities.com/luem42/index.html
emailed to tell me that Atlantic Spice is the best place to buy
spices:   http://www.atlanticspice.com/
A closer look revealed that Atlantic Spice is the east coast branch
of Neil Hanscomb's San Francisco Herb Company.  What it means
to consumers is that we can save a little on freight by ordering from
whichever is closest to us.  Thanks Mark.

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

I suspect that my friend Tim Skyrme might be the Australian
version of an "old hippie".  At any rate he's certainly a colorful
and interesting character.  The story of his travels around "Oz"
in his 1982 Toyota Corona station wagon is interesting reading.
http://www.artzend.com/Newsletter.htm (scroll down a bit)

This artist community is dedicated to people with something to
say or something to show.   http://www.foundmyself.com/

From China, the online Journal of Integrative Plant Biology (in
English).   http://www.chineseplantscience.com/

The  African National Congress.   http://www.anc.org.za/

Alabama Archaeology.   http://bama.ua.edu/~alaarch/

PhysicsFinder, from the American Institute of Physics (AIP), is
designed to help researchers find information published in AIP
and MAIK journals.   http://physicsfinder.org

AlgaeBase is a database on algae that includes terrestrial,
marine and freshwater organisms.   http://www.algaebase.org/

Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Smithsonian Institution.
http://www.150.si.edu/150trav/150exhib.htm

Extensive topical forums.   http://www.americasdebate.com/

Archaeology magazine.   http://www.archaeology.org/

Documents in law, history and diplomacy from Yale Law School.
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/

American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta.
http://www.aabga.org/

Betty Crocker's main site contains recipes and other useful
information.   http://www.bettycrocker.com/
Some product specific information on the Old El Paso site.
http://www.oldelpaso.com
Box Tops for Education.   http://www.boxtops4education.com

Information on more constructive approaches to difficult and
intractable conflicts.   http://www.beyondintractability.org

Bill McClain offers some public domain books and an assortment
of book reviews.   http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/

A history tutorial on Canada's Calgary & Southern Alberta.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/calgary/
Additional topics are also available.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor

Botanic Gardens Conservation International.
http://www.bgci.org.uk/

Bricks is a costless logic game with blocks.
http://www.bricks-game.de

Costless web calendar hosting.   http://www.calendars.net/

An Exhibition of photographs and illustrations of the
international history of Calypso music from 1930 to 1970.
http://www.calypsoworld.org/

A forum site that covers, in their own words, "government
conspiracies, cover-ups, UFO's, and other alternative
topics".   http://www.abovetopsecret.com/

Cool Jargon of the Day.   http://www.jargon.net/

Bob Dylan is still cool.   http://bobdylan.com/

An English language news site from Lebanon.
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/home.asp

EurekAlert science news.   http://www.eurekalert.org/

Eric S. Raymond's site is worth exploring.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/

Flower gardening.   http://www.flower-gardening-made-easy.com/

This site is named for, and dedicated to, a cat named Fly.
http://flythecat.com/

The Marshmallow Peanut Circus.  http://www.circus.com/

HyperDictionary.com   http://www.hyperdictionary.com/

Human Nature Review is a significant source of analysis and
commentary for readers at leading universities and research
institutes in over one hundred and sixty countries.
http://human-nature.com/

The Hamilton (Ontario) Naturalists' Club.
http://www.hamiltonnature.org/

Africa's most magnetic Internet destination.
http://iafrica.com/

I Can Garden, from Canadian and Master Gardener, Donna Dawson.
http://www.icangarden.com/

Illinois state Museum sites.   http://www.museum.state.il.us/exhibits

IT (Internet Technology) news sites.
http://www.infoworld.com/
http://www.internetnews.com/

Josh Woodward's MP3 music collection.
http://cd.joshw.org/allsongs.php

The Manitoba Heritage Network has been established as a project of the
Manitoba Archaeological Society to provide Internet based information
and services related to Manitoba's rich cultural heritage.
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/anthropology/manarchnet/

 The Marvel Chronology Project is an effort to catalog every actual
appearance by every significant character in the Marvel Universe.
http://www.chronologyproject.com

The Internet Medieval Sourcebook.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html

John Burkardt's site has some interesting and explorable content.
http://www.csit.fsu.edu/~burkardt/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The ratbag family of sites explore the human permutations of information
and logic.  Proceed with caution, there's some extreme content here.
http://www.ratbags.com/

eNature is owned by, and acquires some content from, the National
Wildlife Federation.   http://www.enature.com/

Bird Studies (of) Canada.  http://www.bsc-eoc.org/

Citizen science program in the Adirondacks of northern New York State.
http://www.adkscience.org

Web pages for students by Josie Giannetta.
http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/

A variety of topics relating to the Canadian Arctic.
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/arctic/english.htm

Creatures and Places, from the Gulf of Maine Aquarium.
http://www.gma.org/Tidings/

Magazine of the National Audubon Society.   http://magazine.audubon.org

The Chicago Sun-Times online.  http://www.suntimes.com/

AlterNet is an interesting information source.   http://www.alternet.org

resources on intermarriage for interfaith couples.
http://www.dovetailinstitute.org/

American Indigenous People's Literature.
http://www.indians.org/Resource/natlit/natlit.html

David Geyer's quest for the perfect dovetail saw.
http://www.mv.com/ipusers/geyer/dtsaw.htm

ESR is a Seattle-based, nonprofit, scientific institute specializing in
oceanographic research.    http://www.esr.org/

An amateur looking website for amateur woodworkers.
http://www.am-wood.com/index.html

Puzzle World contains information about handcrafted mechanical
puzzles.  http://www.johnrausch.com/PuzzleWorld/

Motorcycle consumer news.   http://www.mcnews.com/

Native American Technology.    http://snipurl.com/byjd

National Geographic News.   http://news.nationalgeographic.com

The New England Gilbert and Sullivan Society.   http://negass.org/

International news and ideas from New Scientist.
http://www.newscientist.com/home.ns

An eclectic and interesting collection of recipes.
http://www.hoboes.com/html/Diner/

The New York Observer.   http://www.observer.com/

Scoop news (New Zealand).   http://www.scoop.co.nz/

News Hounds is a collective news blog.   http://www.newshounds.us/

Ontario's Niagara Escarpment.   http://www.escarpment.org/

You'll enjoy exploring John Haller's site if you have a technical
propensity.   http://johnhaller.com/

Online books.    http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

"open i" claims to be "an independent source of opinion and analysis
copy for farm editors".    http://www.openi.co.uk/

A source for both technical and non-technical information, with the
emphasis placed on technical info.   http://www.outfo.org/

Computer OS (Operating System) news.   http://www.osnews.com/

Tony Baker's Paleoindian and other archaeological stuff.
http://www.ele.net/

News and information on the Texas panhandle.
http://www.panhandlenation.com/

An archive and guide to American and Russian publications
in physics.   http://physicsfinder.org

Catalogue of Comet Discoveries.   http://www.comethunter.de/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 273.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A fan site for author Piers Anthony.
http://www.piers-anthony.com/
and his official website.
http://www.hipiers.com

 Printable calendars that are formatted for MS Word.
http://www.printablecalendar.ca/

 Information on wilderness survival skills, tracking, and harmony with
nature.   http://www.trackertrail.com/index.html

A UK online legal resource.
http://www.rpc.co.uk/main/default.asp?p=1

An online, weekly science magazine.   http://www.sciencenews.org/

ScienceDaily magazine.   http://www.sciencedaily.com/

Travel guide for scuba diving around the
world.   http://www.diveatlas.com/

Dan Washburn's Shanghai Diaries.
http://www.shanghaidiaries.com/

Space.com offers "Something Amazing Every Day".
http://www.space.com/

Daily news from Sri Lanka.   http://www.dailynews.lk/

The political cartoons of Steve Greenberg.
http://www.reuben.org/greenberg/.Toons/politics.asp
The National Cartoonists Society.
http://www.reuben.org/

Strange Horizons is a weekly speculative fiction magazine.
http://www.strangehorizons.com

A help site for teenagers.   http://www.teenhelp.org/

A news satire site.   http://www.dailyprobe.com

All about watches.   http://www.timezone.com/

Professor John Burkardt's fun pages.
http://www.csit.fsu.edu/~burkardt/fun/fun.html
Wordplay is an irresistible pastime.
http://www.csit.fsu.edu/~burkardt/fun/wordplay/wordplay.html

A collection of top-ten lists.   http://www.topfive.com

The University of British Columbia Botanical Garden and Centre for
Plant Research.   http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/

The official student newspaper of the University of California, San
Diego.   http://www.ucsdguardian.org/

A Monty Python fan site.   http://www.mwscomp.com/python.html

United Press International.   http://about.upi.com/

U.S. History dot org.   http://www.ushistory.org

Staplers real and virtual.   http://www.virtualstapler.com/

"Teamouse" is the web identity of an individual who enjoys writing on
controversial topics, invents languages, and is interested in art,
music, and fantasy.  http://www.io.com/~hmiller/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Wholeo is the ongoing search for the whole self.
http://www.wholeo.net/index1.htm

Wikipedia is a costless encyclopedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/

A guide to the world of light opera and operetta.
http://www.musicaltheatreguide.com/mainmenu.htm

A site where you can connect with folks who're interested in
sharing both the joys and the insanity of writing.
http://fmwriters.com

Science fiction writers love to share ideas and/or collaborate.
It's common to see a group of writers producing a collection
of stories which all share the same general environment
(like all the wonderful stories based on Robert Asprin's
Thieve's World).  Here's a group of writers who've agreed
on a set of mundane parameters wherein to place their
stories.   http://www.mundanesf.com/

A collection of sites that relate to the topic of "flint knapping"
which is the art of making stone tools and weapons.
http://snipurl.com/c16t
http://www.vortac.net/traditionalflintknappingcom/
http://snipurl.com/c16u
http://www.creeksideartifacts.com/
http://snipurl.com/c16y
http://www.onagocag.com/knapping.html
http://www.eskimo.com/~knapper/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/undyrm/
http://www.geocities.com/tlmayeux/
http://www.pbmwebdesign.com/worldflint/main.htm
http://www.uiowa.edu/~osa/learn/ancient/flint.htm

This site is dedicated to the history of Apple Computer, Inc.
http://www.theapplemuseum.com/

B-movie fans, here's a safe place to indulge your more
unsavory cinematic tastes.  http://www.badmovies.org/

G4TechTV.    http://www.g4techtv.com/

A simple little application which removes the unused colors
from GIF image pallets reducing the image size.
http://www.flashfxp.com/freeware.php?Program=GifOptimizer

A few costless apps.   http://www.ppsoft.dk/Programs.htm

A file renamer (click on "FlexRena/") and a simple calendar
tool (click on "SkeleCal/").
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830/english/

A popular email client (especially in China).
http://fox.foxmail.com.cn/english.htm

A couple of apps which produce fractal images.
http://www.fractovia.org/uberto/
http://www.saunalahti.fi/korkeka/

A few apps from  Frank Brower.   http://fbrower4.home.att.net

Travis & Erika East are teachers.
http://homepage.mac.com/teast/main.html

ImageForge provides you with a set of tools for painting and
editing images, photos or other graphics.
http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_imffw.html

Free Lunch Design is an independent game developer.
http://www.freelunchdesign.com/about.shtml

A few costless apps.    http://members.aol.com/brandyware/free.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A look at the world of 007 via the artwork which has promoted the
character since the early 1950's.   http://www.artofjamesbond.com/

A potential resource for flower gardeners.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/floriculture/

Forums and other resources for teachers.
http://www.teacherfocus.com/

TeachersFirst is a rich collection of lessons and web resources
for K-12 classroom teachers, their students, and even
students' families.   http://www.teachersfirst.com/

CNET's technology news and business reports.
http://news.com.com/

Articles, reviews, essays and advice  on computers, software
and consumer technology.   http://www.twcny.rr.com/technofile/

How about some Texas-style cooking?
http://www.texascook.com/

A couple of texture/tile tools.
http://private.homepages.intershop.de/rene/povray/tex_mag.html
http://texturegarden.com/

The America Project is a radio documentary series produced by Alix
Spiegel.   http://www.theamericaproject.org/

"The Amplifier" is a music magazine produced by the Gibson guitar
corporation.   http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/

Hiking in California.  http://www.thecaliforniahikingpage.com

Welcome to the Chronicles of George,  the worst helpdesk
technician ever.   http://chroniclesofgeorge.nanc.com/

A circus portal.   http://www.circustuff.com/

A collection of vegetable recipes.
http://www.webartntech.com/colorfulplate/

The Condiment Packet Museum.
http://www.clearfour.com/condiment/

Calculating The Cost Of "unsolicited commercial" Email.
http://81832.com/strads/spam/costcalc.html

The Covers Project is positive proof that Christopher Heschong,
it's creator, has too much time on his hands.
http://covers.wiw.org/

A site for Basset hounds, and their people.
http://www.dailydrool.com/index.html

The Darwin Awards.   http://www.darwinawards.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The Democracy Center works globally to advance human rights
through a unique combination of investigation and reporting,
training citizens in the art of public advocacy, and organizing
international citizen campaigns.   http://www.democracyctr.org/

This comprehensive directory of Teaching Tools is a product of
years of research by Rona Martin, classroom teacher and
community volunteer.   http://www.myteachertools.com

The Emperor's New Clothes (investigative journalism).
http://www.tenc.net

The Engines of Our Ingenuity is a radio program that tells the
story of how our culture is formed by human creativity.
http://www.uh.edu/engines/

A plain and simple, zip-only, utility.
http://website.lineone.net/~chris_m/

The four word film review.   http://www.fwfr.com/main.asp

A few costless utilities.
http://www.prismaticsoftware.com/Utility/Utility.html
http://www.sailcat.com/utilities.htm
http://www.funduc.com/otsoft.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

============== Humor =============

The CAT user's manual.
http://www.andreas.com/catman.html

The DOG User's Manual.
http://www.andreas.com/dogmanual.html

============== Tips ===============

A couple of computer tips portals.
http://www.springfieldlibrary.org/liblinks/compute.html
http://www.geocities.com/lclane2/computer.html

=================================

After four months as a stocker in the "Super S" supermarket
in Llano, Texas, I decided I was ready to move up in the world
so I found myself a slightly better job at the Town and Country
convenience store (also in Llano, Texas).  My wages will be
slightly better and the company offers an excellent medical
insurance program.  Having been without any sort of medical
insurance for the last fifteen years or so, I'm really pleased
with the new job.  I've given notice at Super S and will be
getting training for the new job on whatever days I'm not
working at Super S for the next couple of weeks.

Eventually I'll sit down and write a detailed account of recent
events and put it on my website.  For now, suffice to say that
the adventure continues, and life is incredibly good.

Don Crowder - Saturday, January 15, 2005

3:55 PM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª