[donspatch] 2004-12-15

  • From: "Don at Lightspeed" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:36:06 -0600

Don's Patch Issue #2004-12-15 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Finding time to work on this issue looked like it was going to be a
little tough for a few days.  It all worked out finally but eventually
there will come a time when I can't complete an issue on time.
Just for the record, when that happens, I may publish a day or
two late but I'll notify you if I'm going to skip an issue.

I've always loved to cook and since my job in the supermarket
brings me into constant contact with all sorts of interesting
groceries I've been doing a lot of cooking lately.  Good cooking
requires lots of fresh spices and herbs which, for me at least,
presents a problem.  Spices and herbs are expensive in
supermarkets (and aren't necessarily fresh).  Just under an
ounce of celery seed, for example, is over three dollars in the
average supermarket and that's only one of my "essential"
ingredients.  That's why I was so pleased to discover
San Francisco Herb Company.  This ezine doesn't have a
sponsor so there's nothing in this for me, but do check them
out.  http://www.sfherb.com

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A few costless games.  http://www.skullbyte.de/eng/

Information on airlines.  http://www.airlinequality.com/

A guide to camping in the midst of nature without the use of
commercial campgrounds and hookups.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/waters/

Slashdot is a very popular tech news website.  http://slashdot.org/

Slashnot is a lesser satirical clone.  http://www.slashnot.com/

The Archery Library.  http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/

An online archive of several Irish newspapers.  http://archives.tcm.ie/

The Law Library of Congress.  http://www.loc.gov/law/

Australian online metaphysical magazine.
http://www.livingnow.com.au/

The Avengers was a television program which has many fans.
http://theavengers.tv/

Small Stuff is a website dedicated to dollhouse scale miniatures.
Check out the Gallery contents.  http://smallstuff-digest.com/

My taste in reading is dictated my what's available on the shelves
of flea markets, garage sales and used paperback book stores
but some folks like to consult book reviews.
http://www.curledup.com/

Are you a boxing enthusiast?  http://www.boxingtimes.com/

Small World by Tom Briscoe.  http://www.briscoe.org

Here's an interesting article on nanotechnology
http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/MITtecRvwSmlWrld/article.html
written by Ralph C. Merkle.  http://www.merkle.com

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A nice recipe archive from Brookshires (a grocery chain).
http://www.brookshires.com/tasty/recipes.asp

Small World Foundation is dedicated to providing reconstructive surgery
and medical aid throughout the developing world for children and adults
who have no access to proper health care or resources for treatment.
http://www.smallworld.org/

A graphics viewer
http://www.smartcode.com/products/view/view.htm
and a talking calculator.
http://www.smartcode.com/smartsum/index.htm

Everything you ever wanted to know about cellphones.
http://www.cellphoneinfo.com/

A nonprofit, nonpartisan, nonsectarian character education framework
that teaches the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect,
responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
http://www.charactercounts.org/

Two Chinese news sites.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/home/

The Collings Foundation West has some very nice images of
vintage aircraft on their site.  http://www.cfwest.net/

 A Columbia law student blog.  http://www.threeyearsofhell.com/

The Center For Steinbeck Studies.  http://www2.sjsu.edu/steinbeck/

A news site for convenience store operators/owners.
http://conveniencestores.productfinder.com/section_7734_0.html

A portal for those who's preferred transportation is powered by
pedals.  http://www.cyclery.com/

Gregory Braun is a superlative author of Windows applications
and several of his works are offered without cost.
Application Paths 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/AppPaths.html
Calendar.    http://www.gregorybraun.com/Calendar.html
Error Messages.    http://www.gregorybraun.com/MSWinErr.html
Kart Data.    http://www.gregorybraun.com/KartData.html
LapTimer 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/LapTimer.html
Screen Saver.   http://www.gregorybraun.com/Phantom.html
RRTrains 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/RRTrains.html
Slot Cars 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/SlotCars.html
Stay Live 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/StayLive.html
Touch.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/FMXTouch.html
Tray Tools 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/TrayTool.html
Unit Conversions 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/uConvert.html
wAPI Monitor 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/wMonitor.html
WebTime 2000.  http://www.gregorybraun.com/WebTime.html

Stories of people and their jobs.  http://www.aboutmyjob.com/

Some potentially interesting reading from David Nicholas Harley.
http://www.nd.edu/~dharley/

Defrag_to_shutdown launches the Windows Defrag program with
three options and with the function to shutdown or reboot the
computer after Defrag has finished.
http://medlem.spray.se/mokkelmannen/

An epidemiologist, a lawyer, a copyright guru, a statistics prof,
another lawyer, a journalist, and an actuary form the Dead
Parrots Society.  http://www.deadparrots.net

Things to explore from iamcal software.
http://software.iamcal.com/

A game.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ashwobla/games/index.htm

The Duplex Planet is an ongoing work designed to portray a wide
variety of real characters who are old or in decline.
http://www.duplexplanet.com/

Library of Economics and Liberty.  http://www.econlib.org/index.html

A UK education news site.  http://education.guardian.co.uk/

Digital Objects Software offers some costless apps.
http://www.mrdo.com/1.html

An interesting, if disquieting, collection of images.
http://www.eilatgordinlevitan.com

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express.
http://snipurl.com/axfc

The Chuckie Egg game.
http://www.gershwin.force9.co.uk/chuckie/

Creation versus Evolution.  http://www.evcforum.net/

Cool apps from Marek Jedlinski.
http://www.tranglos.com/free/index.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was ???
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A site that's about poetry.  http://www.everypoet.com

Disk Cleaner was inspired by one of the system tools that can be
found in Windows 98.  http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004

Costless apps from Kevin Solway.
http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/

The world's largest message board network.
http://p197.ezboard.com/

An online business magazine.  http://www.fastcompany.com/

WorldStart offers a few goodies.
http://www.worldstart.com/software.htm

DocMemory Diagnostic, an advanced self-bootable PC Memory
Diagnostic Software is a user friendly software designed to
capture all possible memory failures in PC.
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

This site will come in handy the next time anyone instructs you
to "tell someone who cares".  http://www.forumplanet.com/

Dos Navigator is a comprehensive shell for MS-DOS.
http://www.ritlabs.com/dn/

I list a lot of news sites simply because I find a lot of news sites.
There are an incredible number of them out there and each of them
seems to have it's own unique spin.  They run the gamut.  Devious,
insidious, humorous, obscure, twisted, satirical, satanical, pick an
adjective you like and there's likely to be a matching news site.
In all honesty I don't care for any of them and I'm a true cynic;  I
believe nothing I hear or read and only half of what I see.  I list such
sites for your entertainment and/or amusement.  That being said,
here's yet another news site.  http://www.freerepublic.com/

Take a trip back through the sands of time to witness the history of
Europe.   Arcade style game provides entertainment and education.
http://www.torpedosoftware.com/eurohist.htm
Take a trip to Europe.  Package of arcade style European geography
games including countries, capitals, major exports and geographical
features.  http://www.torpedosoftware.com/europe.htm

George Boeree (pronounced boo-ray') is a professor in the Psychology
Department at Shippensburg University, where he teaches personality
theories and the history of psychology (among other things),
specializing in the philosophical side of psychology with particular
interests in phenomenology, existential psychology, Buddhism,
and moral development.   http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/

MetaProducts Download Express is a Windows program that allows
you to download individual files from the Web and FTP sites at the
 maximum possible speed.
http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=18

An eclectic, commercial music site.  http://www.greatbigisland.com/

A couple of costless apps from Lincoln Beach.
http://www.lincolnbeach.com/blinky.asp
http://www.lincolnbeach.com/mycharmap.asp

DriverManager is a tool designed to allow System Administrators,
Power Users and Driver Developers an easy means to view, modify
or remove drivers and their information on Windows NT 4, Windows
2000 and Windows XP platforms.
http://www.l5sg.com/products/downloads/drivermanager/

Idiots write about sports.   A few idiots. Many sports. No waiting.
http://sports.intertext.com/

The Herald Sun is Australia's biggest-selling daily newspaper.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au

Eclectic goodies from DRK.  http://www.drk.com.ar/index.php

An electronic compendium of matters past and present connected
with the Isle of Man.  http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/

DXLab is a suite of interoperating applications designed to automate
amateur radio DXing activities. http://www.qsl.net/dxlab/
Web space devoted to amateur (Ham) radio.  http://www.qsl.net/

Photographs, descriptions, travel directions, and GPS coordinates
for lighthouses in the U.S.   http://www.lighthousefriends.com/

The United States Lighthouse Society.  http://www.uslhs.org

Vintage kids television in the UK.  http://www.kids-tv.co.uk/

WALL32 is a self-contained, real-time wallpaper generator, which
simulates the earth's & moon's illumination by the sun.
http://geocities.com/bartelyoti/wall/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A viable, if technically complex, AV solution.
http://www.softoy.com/

Here's an obscure but interesting looking little news site.
http://www.scrappleface.com/

Do you suffer from pain in your neck or back?
http://www.spineuniverse.com

A resource for those who follow the game of squash.
http://www.squashtalk.com

The Book of Archery.  http://snipurl.com/bd5n

Another odd news site.  http://www.thedailyfarce.com

Hindu news site.  http://www.hindu.com/

TimeLab 2000.  http://www.smash.com/seg/timelab/

A conservative news site.  http://www.townhall.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The Mackinac Center for Public Policy.  http://www.mackinac.org/

Not long ago my computer suffered a total crash from which it has
yet to recover.  Fortunately a friend had given me a similar "old
clunker" that I've been using to continue working.  Unfortunately
the WS_FTP application I've been using to maintain my website
is no longer available in a costless version.  FTP stands for
"File Transfer Protocol" and that's pretty scary stuff for me.  I was
very intimidated about taking on yet another learning curve but I
was able to find an open source product called "Filezilla" that
served my purpose nicely and wasn't at all difficult to use.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
(Thank you sourceforge)

If you have a website, a good deal of technical acumen, and wish to
publish on the web, Majordomo may offer a solution.
http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/

The Maritime Heritage program.  http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/

My father was a career soldier in the U.S. Army.  That makes me
an "Army brat" but that's ok since I have a few Army brat friends
like Randi Simon (who was the love of my life at age 16) with whom
I still communicate.  Randi sent me this cool link to the Military-Brat
Registry.  http://www.military-brats.com/

MediaLens is a sort of news site that claims to be "correcting for the
distorted vision of the corporate media".  http://www.medialens.org

A site that's all about "icky stuff" that sometimes gets into your
computer.  http://scumware.com/

The National Organization for Women.   http://www.now.org

The National Review Online (another news site).
http://www.nationalreview.com/

The fantasy art of Stephanie Pui-Mun Law.
http://www.shadowscapes.com/

There's something extra cool about a New York newspaper and I
find it very annoying that one must register to view the New York
Times online.  I was, therefore, quite pleased to learn that the New
York Post doesn't require registration.  http://www.nypost.com/

I can't see what's so bad about Phil Plait's "Bad Astronomy.
http://www.badastronomy.com/

A web resource for journalists.  http://www.poynter.org/

The National Consumer Coalition's Privacy Group.
http://www.nccprivacy.org/

Goodies from Andreas Wulf.  http://www.soft4fun.com/

Website of the SciFi channel.  http://www.scifi.com

Everyone is welcome.   http://www.woz.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A good site if you're into hiking.  http://www.trailjournals.com

UK Parliament on the WWW.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/

One of the web's best compendiums of costless apps.
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/

Resources for songwriters.
http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/
http://www.writingsongs.com/
http://www.musesmuse.com/

A technical news site.  http://www.chipzilla.com/

This news site looks like it may be coming from the fringe
but that's only my opinion.  http://www.worldnetdaily.com/

The UNEP Risoe Centre on Energy, Climate and Sustainable
Development.   http://www.uneprisoe.org

I'm a little skeptical of folks who insist they want to "change
things" without being specific about the "things" in question.
http://www.zmag.org/weluser.htm

An online ESL magazine from the UK.  http://www.soon.org.uk/

A site designed and intended to promote and support the
playing of games, especially traditional board and card games.
http://www.playgames.org

Here's an "unborn" kids site that might be worth watching.
http://www.kidgames.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Lisa Miller, my favorite artist, co-worker, and best
friend has been after me to do a special feature on
Hedy Lamarr so here you go Lisa:
http://www.clevernet.on.ca/hedylamarr/
http://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001443/
http://www.hedylamarr.at/indexe.html
http://silverscreensirens.com/hedy.htm
http://www.germanhollywood.com/lamarr.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr

============== Humor =============

Evening classes for men:

1. How to fill ice-cube trays. Step by step with slide presentation.

2. Toilet paper: Do they grow on the holders?
    Roundtable discussion.

3: Differences between the laundry basket and the floor. Practice
    with hamper. Pictures and graphics.

4. The after-dinner dishes and silverware:  Can they levitate and fly
    into kitchen sink or dishwasher?  Debate among panel of experts.

5. Loss of Virility: Losing the remote control to your significant
    other.  Help line and support groups.

6. Learning how to find things, starting with looking in the right
    place instead of turning the house upside down while
    screaming.   Open forum.

7. Health watch: Bringing her flowers is not harmful to your
    health.  PowerPoint presentation.

8. Real men ask for directions when lost.  Real-life testimonials.

9. Is it genetically impossible to sit quietly as she
   parallel parks?  Driving simulation.

10. Living with Adults:  Basic differences between your mother
     and your wife.  Online class and role playing.

11. How to be the ideal shopping companion.  Relaxation
     exercises, meditation and breathing techniques.

12. Remembering birthdays, anniversaries, other important dates
     and calling when you're going to be late.  Bring your calendar
     or PDA to class.

13. Getting Over It: Learning to live with being wrong all the
      time.   Individual counselors available.

From "Richard Harter's World":
http://home.tiac.net/~cri/index.html

============== Tips ===============

Tech tips from the Computer Club of Green Valley, Arizona.
http://gvcc.apcug.org/gvcctechpage.htm

Tips and tricks for publishers and webmasters from South
Dakota's Northern State University:
Backgrounds, buttons and templates.
http://nsu-cc.northern.edu/business/temp/
FAQs and web publishing help.
http://nsu-cc.northern.edu/FAQ.htm

From the Senior Center Computer Club of Charlottesville, Virginia.
http://www.seniorcenterinc.org/programs/computerclub/resources.htm

=================================

Having this issue completed on time did me very little good because
my ISP is having problems with the dial up line that serves my
community.  I was unable to post this because I couldn't get online
yesterday.  This issue was difficult to finish because I wanted very
much to stop and explore some of the sites I've listed here.  *grin*
Call it an occupational hazard if you like but I enjoy it.  See you next
time.

Don Crowder - Thursday, December 16, 2004

1:32 PM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª