[donspatch] 2004-09-15

  • From: "Don at Lightspeed" <guitarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:16:29 -0500

Don's Patch Issue #2004-07-01 from http://www.don-guitar.com

My new job, stocker in a supermarket, is difficult and demanding
work.  I think it will become easier as time goes by but right now
it's taking most of my energy and resources just to hang in there.
This issue, like the last one, will be smaller than usual because
I have very little time to work on it but, for the moment, I have no
plans to discontinue this publication.

Since I started soliciting donations for the support of this ezine
readers have contributed a total of thirty (U.S.) dollars.  This makes
it clear that I have no monetary incentive to continue this work.  I do
it because I enjoy it and because I know most of my readers truly
appreciate my efforts.  Some adjustment may be required to fit the
ezine into my altered lifestyle.  I'll try to sort it out as quickly as I
can.

Remember, your input is always welcome.  I value your suggestions
and comments, and I'm always willing to help you find answers to
your computer and Internet questions.

My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A virtual exploration of the universe.
 http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Website toys and some fonts.
 http://www.fontsnthings.com/original/original.shtml

As always, life is about people.  http://www.globalexchange.org/

Global issues that affect everyone.  http://www.globalissues.org/

Adventurous explorations.   http://www.goals.com/Index.htm

Another cool toy for serious googlers.
http://toolbar.google.com/deskbar/index.html

Being what it is, Google has inspired some passionate
commentaries.  some of them seem to be fairly biased
http://www.google-watch.org/
but input from the fringe always has it's own critical observers
http://www.google-watch-watch.org/
For me, the nice thing about extremism is that it's easy to spot
and ignore.  I don't believe that any source of information is truly
unbiased, despite claims to the contrary.
http://www.watchinggooglelikeahawk.com/
but I can accept the notion that some information sources don't
have actively negative agendas.   http://news.google.com/

I like these folks.  I think you will too.
http://www.greeneclipsesoftware.com/index.html

Hackers, outlaws and angels.  http://snipurl.com/92av

Homeschooling adventures on the web.
http://www.homeschoolingadventures.com/

Red Hat:  Not Linux, for ladies only, and very cool.
http://www.hotflash.org/

HTML and CSS learning resource.  http://www.htmldog.com/

Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn: Text, illustrations, and early reviews.
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/twain/huckfinn.html

Recipes and more from ConAgra's Hunt's site.
http://www.hunts.com/index.jsp

I don't know who Hutch is, but his site is cool and his little editor,
named "The Gun", is the smallest I've ever seen.
http://www.movsd.com/index.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, and //www.freelists.org
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The Internet is an enormous collection of answers. The challenge is
to find them.  http://homepage.mac.com/cohora/ext/internethunts.html

Whether you love him, or hate him, nobody in the world has done more
for wildlife than Jack Hanna.  http://www.jackhanna.com/

Some interesting apps.  http://www.kt2k.com/software.php

Web standards software and learning.
http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/index.html

TV theme music from Lee Goldberg.
http://www.lgoldberg.com/leegoldbergthemes.htm

An extensive computer tech information resource and forum.
http://www.lostcircuits.com

Miss Maggie's Earth Adventures.  http://www.missmaggie.org/

A multi-platform email client.  http://mahogany.sourceforge.net/

Goodies from Markus Welz.
http://www.markuswelz.de/freeware/index.html

Learn about some interesting Biome's and Ecosystems.
http://mbgnet.mobot.org/

Two of my favorite words in English are "let's eat".
http://www.mealtime.org/
http://www.woolfit.com/index.html

Med Help International is dedicated to helping patients find the
highest quality medical information in the world today.
http://www.medhelp.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 258
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Mihov Background Tester is a program used to test different
images and see how they would look as a tiled background.
http://www.mihov.com/eng/bt.html

I don't care for bloated instant message apps that are filled with
features I don't use (like ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, or AIM) so I was
happy to discover Easy Message.
http://www.easymessage.net
When Easy Message developed some minor problems on one of
my computers I found Miranda to be an acceptable, if not perfect,
substitute.  http://miranda-im.org/

A site for mother's on the web.  http://www.momsview.com/

Natural family living.  http://www.mothering.com/

Today's Parent.  http://www.todaysparent.com/

A couple of apps from Moonlight Software.
http://www.moonlight-software.com/freeware.htm

Helpful, geekspeak-free publications.  http://www.mrmodem.com/

Who's up for a treasure hunt?  http://www.museummania.com/

Alex Boese's museum of hoaxes.  http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/

This looks to me like a sort of online social club with blogging thrown in.
http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm

Resources for indigenous cultures around the world.
http://www.nativeweb.org/

Neko for Windows is a little white cat who runs around on the
desktop and chases the mouse cursor.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/4173/neko.html

Kids resources from the U.S. National Gallery of Art.
http://www.nga.gov/kids/

An obituary database.  http://www.obitcentral.com/

Eric Miller's user tips for Outlook Express.
http://www.okinfoweb.com/moe/

Official site of  the UK Parliament.    http://www.parliament.uk/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list.fcgi?list_id=4343
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A few costless goodies.
http://www.learnxgroup.com/software/other_freeware.html

Some interesting screensavers.  http://www.pegtop.de/screensaver/

Philosophy for young people aged seven to eleven.
http://www.portables2.ngfl.gov.uk/pmpercival/philosophy/

Mundane inanity or brilliant art from an inspiring young person?
I decline to define.  Decide for yourself.
http://www.photoadventures.net/

PictureDicer is a costless tool that chops any image file into
several smaller images, suitable for creating mouseover effects
and pseudo-imagemaps on Web pages. It also generates the HTML
for a table to contain the partial images and display them so they
appear as the original uncut image.
http://www.ziplink.net/~shoestring/dicer01.htm

Picture-shark is for people who want to "stamp" visible logos or text
onto images.  http://www.pictureshark.com/

Postcolonial Studies.  http://www.emory.edu/ENGLISH/Bahri/Intro.html

I can't judge this one.  It's odd, but interesting.
http://www.projectcensored.org/

I've never heard of Bob McDonald or "Quirks & Quarks", but it looks
very interesting.  http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/quirks/archives.htm

History student resource center from Houghton-Mifflin.
http://college.hmco.com/history/resources/students/index.html

apps from RJL software.  http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software.shtml

I grew up with these guys.  I miss Boris and Natasha.  How about you?
http://www.rockyandbullwinkle.com/

This small app presents some unusual tools to help in the design of
forms, web pages, presentations and other visual materials.
http://personales.conexion.com.py/sgrillo/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
My feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

I welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Topic, "Scavenger Hunts".
http://www.spa3.k12.sc.us/Scavenger.html
http://webtech.kennesaw.edu/jcheek3/shunts.htm
http://www.techtrekers.com/scav.htm

Adventures in Science and Technology.
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/science/

Science Frontiers, the unusual & unexplained.
http://www.science-frontiers.com/index.htm

The Adventures of Science Bob.  http://www.sciencebob.com/

Scientific American, online.  http://www.sciam.com/

A Sci-Phi Pilot is one who explores the realm between the
precarious heights of philosophy and the cold, hard reality
of science below.  http://home.cogeco.ca/~sci-phi-pilot/

The Screen Calipers are a unique on-screen measurement
tool, similar to a screen ruler.
http://www.iconico.com/caliper/index.aspx

An informational resource on home computer security.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/default.mspx

Security Watch.
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,12,00.asp

Stories about cities.  http://citystories.com/

San Francisco stories.  http://www.sfstories.com/

Sitepoint (web developer's resource).  http://www.sitepoint.com/

Web experiments gone horribly awry.  http://slayeroffice.com/

A tech support and info site.  http://www.smartcomputing.com

An online encyclopedia.  http://www.smartpedia.com/

Adventures in South America.
http://www.fluid7.demon.co.uk/adventures/home.htm

Spiderman from an educational perspective.
http://www.ed.gov/inits/americareads/spidey/index.html

Me, I hate sports, but I realize that I'm in the minority.
http://www.tothenextlevel.org/

Have you ever needed to crop an image and make it
perfectly square?
http://www.trivista.com/products/asquareimage/
Digital Images from TriVista.
http://www.trivista.com/freepics/

An interesting informational site.  http://www.straightdope.com/

A tool for web site owners.
 http://www.nuetools.co.uk/stripfile.html

This one seems harsh and a little callous in places.
http://stupidguesttricks.com/

Sun Sounds is dedicated to providing audio access to
information and knowledge normally published in a
printed format.   http://www.sunsounds.org/

Susan Shelley is an outspoken woman with something
to say.  http://www.extremeink.com/susan/page1.htm

This tech support site is run by volunteers and paid for
by donations and sponsors.  http://www.helponthe.net/

TeenHealthFX.com is your online resource for any and all
questions regarding your health, your relationships, your
body and your sexuality.  http://www.teenhealthfx.com/

The Internet Archive of Texts and Documents is a creation
of faculty and students in the History Department of Hanover
College.  http://history.hanover.edu/texts.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A great place to ask, or answer, questions.
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/

You'll like this site if you like crossword puzzles but you don't
have an hour, and you don't have any reference books, and
there's no one around to help you think of a nine-letter word
for abstruse.
http://www.argushamilton.com/tidbits/tidframe.htm

Tim's badly drawn cat web site.
http://www.tiddles.co.uk/

The tiger information center.  http://www.5tigers.org/

This is a large religious web site which promotes religious
freedom, tolerance and diversity as positive cultural values.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/

An interesting news site.  http://www.topix.net/

Over 2,000 travel articles by over 200 writers.
http://www.travellady.com/

This site is worthy of exploration by students of all ages.
http://www.cyberbee.com/

Don't waste time shopping for the perfect t-shirt when you
can design and create your own.
http://www.hanes2u.com/software/lite/lite_download.htm

TWN (Third World Network) Africa.  http://twnafrica.org/

An interesting game app.  http://uwadv.sourceforge.net/

Museum of Unnatural Mystery (could be just a little "over
the edge").   http://www.unmuseum.org/

Rare and unusual tools.
http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/gallery/tbgallery.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Websites Everyone Should Know About
These aren't sponsors, they're the best of
Internet publications and I highly recommend
them all.
http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Each of these websites offer a product, or service,
that's "costless" for personal use.
http://www.accessmanager.co.uk/
http://www.free-av.com/
http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/
http://www.iespell.com/
http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html
http://snipurl.com/92ug
http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html
http://www.photofiltre.com/
http://www.intravnews.com/
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
http://www.we-blocker.com/
http://wordweb.info/free/
http://www.authora.com/ZenditIndividuals.asp
http://snipurl.com/92ui
http://snipurl.com/6mzv

============== Humor =============

"A human being should be able to change a diaper,
plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design
a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a
wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze
a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects." -- Robert A. Heinlein

The tragedy of Canada is they could have had British
culture, French cooking, and American technology,
but instead they got American culture, British
cooking, and French technology.

ecnalubma (ek na lub' ma) n. A rescue vehicle
which can only be seen in the rearview mirror.

Musicians Humor (Part 2 of 5):

Q: Why do clarinetists leave their cases on the dashboard?
A: So they can park in the handicapped zones.

Q: What's the difference between an opera singer and a pit bull?
A: Lipstick.

Q: Why do people play trombone?
A: Because they can't move their fingers and read music at the
same time.

Q: How does a violist's brain cell die?
A: Alone.

Q: What do you call a guitar player that only knows two chords?
A: A music critic.

Q: How do you keep your violin from being stolen?
A: Put it in a viola case.

Q: What's the difference between a saxophone and a chainsaw?
A: You can tune a chainsaw.

Q: What will you never say about a banjo player?
A: "That's the banjo player's Porsche."

Q: What do a viola and a lawsuit have in common?
A: Everyone is relieved when the case is closed.

Q: Why are harps like elderly parents?
A: Both are unforgiving and hard to get into and out of cars.

Q: How many trumpet players does it take to pave a driveway?
A: Seven - if you lay them out correctly.

Q: What's the difference between an oboe and a bassoon?
A: You can hit a baseball further with a bassoon.

Q: How are a banjo player and a blind javelin thrower alike?
A: Both command immediate attention, alarm, and force
everyone  to move out of range.

=================================

I haven't taken the extra time required  to present links
contributed by readers in this issue but they'll appear
eventually, when I have time to work on them.

See you next time.

Don Crowder - Wednesday, September 15, 2004

2:10 AM CST - Tow, TX, USA

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  I will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on my website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
You can show your support for this publication by making a
contribution in any amount you choose:
http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª