[dokuwiki] split up dokuwiki release cycle

  • From: "Brian G" <bdgrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 00:07:41 -0700

I'm using dokuwiki inside my corporate environment.  Its working great and I
appreciate all the hard work the developers are doing on this project.  Yet
I guess I've been spoiled by other open source projects that seem to have a
stable and a development branch of releases.

I think its great that Chris is working on all the action/events plugins,
but frankly I don't want to worry about them until they've had time to find
the kinks.  Yet I am seeing a lot of ordinary "bugs" being fixed as well
which I feel still affect me and I would want to have fixed sooner rather
than waiting for another release.  It would seem that a more stable release
branch consisting of just bugs would be in order, and then the more bleeding
edge stuff can be done as major releases.

Now, I understand that darcs has the ability to download single patches, and
I get the mailing of which patches are applied every day.  However, I don't
think all the work should be done on my end, especially if there is someone
else out there who would like the same stuff.   I'm just looking to stay on
a major release for a time, and apply a few minor patches every now and then
as bugs come up.

-Brian