[dokuwiki] Re: search results design suggestion

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 08:12:29 -0500 (CDT)

>From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Well snippets need to show context around the searched keywords to be
> useful at all so your suggestion doesn't really work. When I searched
> for a word which occurs at the end of the page I want to see that part
> of the page in the snippet not the first 50 words of the text. Or did I
> misunderstand you?

Oh, right.  I guess the best you could do is cache a pre-stripping of the HTML
tags.  If you can eliminate the heavy string concatenation and object creation,
that would speed things up.  But I don't know whether in this case file access
time might overshadow string cat'ing/object creation costs.  If you're using a
single preg or two to remove tags, that probably doesn't involve many
intermediate string cats or objects.

I know.  Pre-cache one snippet for every possible search string.  =)

~joe