[dokuwiki] Re: search improvements

  • From: Guy Brand <gb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:53:12 +0200

On 27 August at 23:07, Chris Smith wrote:

> Can you give some idea of the number of search successes in the files
> which were returning snippets?

  On the second series:

      test matched 19 times and opt1 was better
      start matched 1 time and none was better
      description matched 1 time and opt1 was better

> The key difference between opt1 & opt2 is preg_match_all v preg_match in
> a short loop.  My guess is, if the number of matches in the file is
> larger than 3 (the max. number of context snippets returned for one
> file) then opt2 does better.  If the number of matches is 3 or less then
> opt1 will do better.

  I can redo some tests today with more words, just to compare opt1
  and opt2 with different number of matches. Just let me know Chris.

> Is there any way to see the contribution to the total page execution
> time?  If they both reduce ft_snippets() timing so that its no longer
> significant in the production of the page, then the choice on which one
> to use can be made on other reasons besides just execution time.

  These are the average ft_snippets' contributions in percent of the
  total exec time:

      opt1-test 0.29
      opt1-start 0.76
      opt1-description 0.79