[dokuwiki] Re: presentation vs semantics

  • From: Sander Tekelenburg <tekelenb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:57:03 +0200

At 22:49 +0200 UTC, on 2006-10-21, Anika Henke wrote:

> Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>> At 13:21 +0200 UTC, on 2006-10-05, Oliver Betz wrote:
>
>>>''Emphasize'' and '''strongly''' is not that intuitive as **bold**
>>>and //italic//, but bold/italic isn't the right wording, anyway, is
>>>it?

[...]

> Most browsers render <strong> visually as bold and <em> as italic.

<nitpick> Well, by default, yes. And only visual browsers -- a search
engine's spider, a speech or braille browser, will do something else. </>

> Bold and italic do not mean anything semantically, but users often
> *mean* "strong" or "emphasize" with using them.

OK. I can (for the moment :)) accept that Dokuwiki won't change this any time
soon. But do you have a suggestion how I can change my Dokuwiki
configuration? I would like to force my users to have only a single
"emphasis" button. I'd like to get rid of the bold and underline buttons
altogether, keeping only the italic button, and change its icon to something
more semantic, like "!".

[...]

>> Also, my Dokuwiki users tend to abuse bold and italic for things that really
>> are headings. I strongly suspect that wouldn't happen if the UI would be
>>more
>> true about what this really is about: emphasis.
>
> I don't think changing the UI would help. Believe me: Users will abuse
> *everything*! Most of them are only interested in how it looks like and
> not what it means. :-(

I strongly disagree with that sentiment. Sure, some people do not (want to)
understand. But there are plenty of people who are quite capable of
understanding, but who do not find out ny themselves because they're not
interested in technology like you and me, and never receive any training at
all. In my experience it's not that hard to teach this sort of thing to
people. However, when I need to tell them that the "bold" button doesn't mean
"bold", I have a problem, whereas when I can tell them what the "!" button is
about, most of them will understand.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>