[dokuwiki] plugins - security and rights-management

  • From: Michael Klier <chi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 16:58:38 +0200

Hi *,

I`d like to start a discussion on the dokuwiki plugin-API in relation to
rights-management and security. The sql-plugin [1] made me start
thinking about that. The plugin-syntax expects the mysql-user and
password which then can be viewed in the page-source of the wiki-page.
Someone mentioned to disable the "view page-source" button in the wiki,
IMHO that's only the half way to make it "secure". Everybody can see
which plugins are installed via the info-plugin (if it`s not disabled),
and everybody can see the plugin-syntax on [1], which enables everybody
to use the plugin on a page where he has write-permissions to fetch data
from any database he/she knows the username and password.

To get to the point, there`s currently no way to let a plugin render
output which can be viewed by everyone and restrict the same plugin to
be only used by people with enough rights to use it.

However, I don`t know if it would be possible/desirable to restrict the
usage of a plugin to a group or user and make the output, generated by
the plugin viewable to everybody. I know it would be  problematic,
especially with plugins which disable caching.

Just thinking loud. If no one thinks this is an issue feel free to
ignore me ;-).

[1] http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:sql

--
Michael Klier