[dokuwiki] Re: plugins, and their 'activity' / 'maintenance'

  • From: "Martin Tschofen" <martin.tschofen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:26:13 -0600

Sounds like an amazing system. Let me play devil's advocate though.

Is the benefit worth the effort?
*Easily know the health of a plugin through activity.
That doesn't change the fact that if nobody maintains it, it's still not
clear if it's worth installing.
Jay's already figured out that the two plugins he was interersted in didn't
seem to be maintained.

*User comments and voting.
Commenting can be done right now on the wiki page. Wouldn't it make sense to
add a voting mechanism (with a little ajax sprinkled in) that stores the
cummulate rating info in the meta data? Tied together with the release
version of DW the plugin runs on, this would give more confidence that it
would work "well" right now.

Doesn't help the health issue, but I think is crucial for others to pickup
where previous owner left off.
And no more can't find the plugin.

*Update Manager connecting and doing updates. That sounds cool, but doesn't
solve the issue of understanding if it's a maintained or "good" plugin.

*Maintain plugins as a community. That may really address the crux of the
matter. But that's the hardest one to deal with as it depends on those pesky
humans. Perhaps this is more about putting them into a common version
control system e.g. darcs, freshmeat, sourceforge.

I'd go out (but not too long...too much UV isn't good for you ;-)...martin

On 2/7/07, Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andreas Gohr wrote:
> Jay Dickon Glanville writes:
>
>> Salutations,
>>
>> I'm beginning to get a little worried.
>
> Which I can perfectly understand :-). I'm thinking about this my self
> for a while... I have an idea about a plugin repository outside the
> Wiki (maybe connected to the same auth backend). I'll just scribble
> away some of my ideas how I imagine it:
>
> - database driven
> - located at plugins.dokuwiki.org
> - developers can upload plugin
> - developers can upload updates to existing plugins
> - maybe users can upload corrections as well
> - users can comment
> - user can vote: works for me with Dokuwiki version X, does not work
> for me  with Version X
> - The plugin manager connects to plugins.splitbrain.org to list
> available  plugin, and to check for updates
> - plugins can be tagged to categorize them
> - probably more I just forgot
> - users could easily see the health status of a plugin based onthe
> user  votes (work/don't work)
> - maybe special users could even do security audits, which would give
> a  plugin an extra point or something
> - probably more I just forgot
>
> What do you all think of it?
>
> Should I spend time on writing this system? Or should I use the little
> spare time I have to go outside looking at the sun? ;-)
>
> Andi

Version awareness for dw & plugin
incompatibility notes for other plugins &
dependencies on other plugins

Sit by a window ;)

Chris