[dokuwiki] Re: multiple javascript files

  • From: Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 16:46:35 +0200

On Sat, 6 May 2006 22:51:31 +0200
Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Anyone else have thoughts on this?
>
> I thought about that, too. We know that the file exists checks are cheep
> but the needed directory lookups to find the files could be somewhat
> more expensive. We would need some way to determine the needed loading
> order (probably doing a sort on the filename) which would add another
> few cycles. I don't know if it is really needed.
>
> A plugin developer could simply create multiple .js files and when he's
> ready concatenate them into a single script.js file.

I had the problem too and I don't like the one directory / one file approach.
I organised my template as follows:

 <template>
   |- css        <- all css definition files
   |- scripts    <- all javascript files
   |- images     <- all image files
   |- main.php
   :     :
   `- style.ini

css files are included by style.ini,
jsvascript files are included the classic way in main.php and
images are included where they are used (css, php, js)

After all this method works fine for me and has some advantages:
1. The main directory is not so overcrowded (all files in one directory is bad)
2. the scripts are named according their task. What, the hell, does the script
   script.js do? The name popup.js for instance is much more clear.
3. No more confusing automatic mechanisms needed.

What I am going to say? Ah, yes. Keep it as it is. ;-)

  Best Regards
    Matthias