[dokuwiki] Re: media file links converted to lowercase

  • From: chris <jugg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 22:33:11 -0700

TNHarris wrote:
On Mon, 07 May 2007 21:23:17 -0700, "chris" <jugg@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
But, I'm afraid I don't understand the reason why links to files are modified. I comprehend the discussion regarding wiki page conversion to lower case so that [[Wiki]] and [[wiki]] link to the same page.

However, linking to a file is a completely different issue, and should be treated differently.

Some operating systems, MacOS and MS Windows to name a few, do not allow
filenames to differ only by case. DokuWiki needs to respect this or it
would be unusable on those platforms.

How would DokuWiki be unusable on those platforms? Like you say, those platforms do not support files that differ only by case. So, whether DokuWiki links to a Media file named MyFile.zip or myfile.zip will make absolutely no difference on those platforms.

As it stands now, DokuWiki is "broken" on systems that -are- case sensitive. DokuWiki does not "respect" this issue.

I would guess that the original problem was trying to figure out a way to ensure Wiki topics differing only by case linked to the same page, and this methodology rolled over into linking to media files as well. Whether or not that is true, I don't know. But it remains that a valid link to a valid file in the Media folder should work. It currently does not.

chris