[dokuwiki] Re: jQuery rewrite

  • From: rezlemic@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Hamann <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:32:11 +0200

Hi,

Excerpts from Michael Hamann's message of 2011-03-28 01:15
some additional thoughts about the jQuery rewrite:
We really need to keep the current JavaScript API for some releases so
plugins authors have enough time to upgrade their JavaScript code.
Michal, could you take care of this and not remove the old code that
exposes functionality to plugins and add the parts again that have
already been removed? There should be a plan which files should be
removed but they should not be removed yet.

OK, I'm sorry, I have not realized the dependency of plugin authors on API :-(. I corrected it today to the original form. API is the same as it was now and in the implementation of files I have already rewritten is used jQuery.

[...]
Michal, for the case you shouldn't be able to finish the complete jQuery
rewrite till the deadline could you please create a list of open tasks
so we can see what's left to do? It would be good if you could get so
far that we'll be able to merge the changes and the open tasks don't
affect the usage.

OK, I hope I will rewrite all files in /lib/scripts/ directory. If the rewrite is not complete to my deadline of school project, I can continue in my work then longer (independently on my school project), if you want. I just need to show my work at school to pass a subject now, but I am not going to left you then :-).

I just have a question about my rewrite. As you have written, the current JS API should not be changed. But for example the original media.js was written so that it was possible to call functions i.e.: "media_manager.togglekeepopen()" external. After rewrite of this file (I haven't rewritten this file, I have only solved conflicts by merging) it is not possible to do that. The functions (like togglekeepopen(),...) are "private" in anonymous function now. Should I correct it too?

Regards,
Michal