[dokuwiki] jQuery rewrite

  • From: Michael Hamann <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 21:40:05 +0100

Hi,

sorry for the confusion I might have created by telling some students
that we'll most probably have jQuery and now Andis email that not using
jQuery would be preferred. Discussing that first here might have been a
better idea.

The fact is that there is a jQuery-rewrite of DokuWiki and there is a
student (Michal Rezler) who is trying to finish it. And the rewrite has
actually made some progress during the last days, have a look at
https://github.com/rezlemic/dokuwiki-jQuery/commits/master - Michal
really wants to finish it till April 25 because if we won't accept (i.e.
merge) his changes till then his university project will fail. So imho
it's not unlikely we'll have a more a less complete rewrite before April
25. Even if we shouldn't have a complete rewrite I have the feeling the
rewrite does already work quite well (or in other words: I couldn't find
any issues). Furthermore it will be possible to provide both the old
JavaScript libraries and jQuery.

Thus if there shouldn't be any major problems I don't see any reason why
we shouldn't merge the code after the release and improve it once we've
merged it. As April 25 might be before the release we could also simply
create a new "next" branch where we can merge all code that should get
into the next release and merge that branch back into master after the
release.

Concerning the remaining steps after the merge I think they would be a
good task for the community bonding period of GSoC.

Furthermore I don't think it makes sense to write new JavaScript code
with our old "framework" if the jQuery rewrite is more or less ready to
be merged.

That's at least my opinion, I'm also open for other options regarding
the jQuery rewrite if you think they are better.

Regards
Michael