[dokuwiki] indexdir does not exist

  • From: Aaron Dalton <aaron@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 19:29:25 -0600

I'm trying to update my various Dokuwiki installations and ran into the
following error message immediately:

The indexdir ('index') does not exist, isn't accessible or writable. You
should check your config and permission settings. Or maybe you want to
run the installer?

I followed the steps outlined on the wiki
(http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:install:upgrade) which I have used in
the past without incident.

1) unpack
2) copy .htaccess
3) copy -Rp old data dir

To debug I also did the following instead of copying over my old conf files:
4) run install.php (which told me about conf needing to be writable)
5) The installer created local.php etc and then still gave me the above
error.

I can find no reference to "indexdir" in any of the config files.  I was
also told the conf dir needs to be writable by the WWW user.  Why is
this?  It did not used to be so.  I always feel very uncomfortable
giving my WWW user any write privileges at all.  Can I make the
directory writable but the important config files not?  This wasn't
listed in the changelog.

Thanks for your time!
--
Aaron Dalton       |   Super Duper Games
aaron@xxxxxxxxxx   |   http://superdupergames.org