[dokuwiki] Re: end of IE6

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 15:29:41 +0100

Adrian Lang wrote:
actually, I‘d even go further. What you describe is the current
approach; what we should do instead is drop IE6. That means: Provide
(that is: test) only the absolute minimum functionality: plain
text editing & HTML viewing. Everything fancy, like JavaScript, good
looks, whatever should not be cluttered with ugly IE6 hacks.

I wouldn't mind dropping support completely and I even planned to write a "harsher" recommandation, but feared people would oppose more to it. I'd like to hear other opinions before we decide anything yet.

Instead, we should gradually remove those hacks.

As we are planning to make a new default template anyway (which will hopefully be shipped with the next release), I propose leaving CSS hacks in the old template and to just not care for IE6 that much in the new template. Regarding JS, I guess we can start gradually removing IE6 specific things. But I'm not too familiar with the DokuWiki JavaScript and don't know how often code was (re-)written for IE6 specifically ...?
(<dream>A switch to jQuery would fix that problem.</dream>)

I do not say this because I don‘t like IE6
Liar! ;-)

but because supporting it hurts contributors and other browser‘s users.

I can give a few more reasons:

* It bloats the code with unnecessary stuff, therefore there's more to download. * It makes developers use old techniques which require more code and sometimes more files (like background images that aren't otherwise needed). Therefore there's even more to download (and sometimes visibly because background images might take a while to load). * It takes much longer to develop. ("Time is money" may not be true in OpenSource, but still being able to produce something in less time will encourage contributors.) * It prevents developers to use the really cool stuff and go a step forward and be innovative. * It's really, really, really OLD. It's about as old as the infamous Netscape Navigator 4.7. And I don't see anyone supporting *that* browser anymore. ;-)

Cheers,
Anika