[dokuwiki] Re: dash or underscore as word seperator in url for search engine indexation

  • From: "Todd Augsburger" <todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:30:39 -0500

Yann,

It is correct that Google treats an underscore as a letter, not punctuation.
(I've not looked at other search engines.)

Now, I don't pretend to know all the internal details of Google's search
algorithms, but surely in real life this makes little difference unless the
_only_ occurrence of the search terms is in the page title. I just checked
Google with my own site, and searching for some obscure terms (occurring in
the title of one page and only the body of others) did _not_ return the
search-term-titled page first in the search results--instead some of the
body-only pages were at the top. Based on this limited test, I suspect that
you cannot really "improve [your] Google ranking" simply by changing the
page title. I'd worry more about who links to your pages, and what your page
content is. (Actually, I use config "first heading for pagenames"--the
separator is rarely visible to me. And in fact, the _majority_ of my pages
are the config's default "Start page name", because I heavily use multiple
namespaces.)

On the other hand, I _did_ modify the template that I use so that each page
has a "keywords" meta tag. Is there anything built into Dokuwiki which will
manage keywords? Or are they not as important as they used to be?

Todd Augsburger
todd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Roller Organs
www.rollerorgans.com