[dokuwiki] Re: code blocks aren't parsed? How can I use italics...?

  • From: Jo Rhett <jrhett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Terence J. Grant" <tjgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:29:12 -0700

First, let me say thank you for answering the question asked.
And now on to the detail:

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:12:58AM -0400, Terence J. Grant wrote:
>  I don't believe that you can simply write a syntax file for geshi
> and expect it to instead parse it, so that's probably out of the
> question. (But I could be wrong.) I wouldn't know how to do this, but
> you can google geshi and probably figure it out.
>
>  One alternative would be to write some custom code into the DokuWiki
> parser to be able to format certain text in a mono spaced font; for
> instance, let the parse recognize <monospace> or something as a new
> tag. But that's probably too much work and I couldn't tell you where
> to begin on that myself.

Ugh.  Yeah, too much.

> Two workable alternatives I can think of are:
>  *  Use the underline mark "__" and add/modify one of your css files
> to make <u> a mono spaced font, perhaps with optional box around it
> like code uses if you wish. Then you'd essentially say the following
> and it would do what you want:
>
> __type this command with IP //1.2.3.4/xx//__
>
> You lose the ability to underline anything directly of course.

That's major hackery.  Is there no tag that says "fixed font" that doesn't
also say "don't parse me?"

>  * Alternatively, you may wish to use <code bash> or <code dos> for
> all user inputted commands. This may be a better overall solution, as
> ideally you'd be highlighting commands directly instead of human
> readable instructions.

The problem is that I need to highlight or otherwise identify the things
which aren't meant to be typed literally. For example, nobody should type
"w.x.y.z" in the following command, they need to replace that with
something useful.

show ip route w.x.y.z/bb

--
Jo Rhett