[dokuwiki] Re: barrier free website with dokuwiki as CMS?

  • From: Stefan Waidele <Stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:06:03 +0100

Hi,

Am 12.03.2009 08:17, schrieb Andreas Benzler:
[...]
But has anyone used it as a CMS with and additional barrier
free version?. It might be as simple as providing a other template for
eg. blind people. I currently have no experience what has to be done to
add a barrier free website to an existing site...

"Barrierefrei" is "Accessible" in the sense of "section 508" in the USA:
http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=3
Specific requirements may vary, but it deals with handicapped people accessing websites.

Googling for "barrierefreiheit internet", which is what you probably want will bring up a wikipedia-article
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrierefreies_Internet
which explains how the requirements can be met, independant of the CMS you use.

As far as I can see, DokuWiki implements most of these ideas out of the box.

When it comes to customizing DokuWiki, I have found it to be very flexible. Basically, DokuWiki will provide the content, and you make sure your template displays this content in a compliant way.

This is especially true if the site should only be for public display of information, because in this case you do not need to cope with accessible editing.

HTH,

Stefan