[dokuwiki] Re: barrier free website with dokuwiki as CMS?

  • From: Michael Klier <chi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:58:49 +0100

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:17:09AM +0100, Andreas Benzler wrote:
> I know what docuwiki can do as a wiki, because I ran one here for almost
> three years. But has anyone used it as a CMS with and additional barrier
> free version?. It might be as simple as providing a other template for
> eg. blind people. I currently have no experience what has to be done to
> add a barrier free website to an existing site...

First I'd recommend to read [1] (German). In terms of markup I think DokuWiki
fullfills all requirements, it's semantic (most templates use tableless
layouts), we don't use inline CSS or inline Javascript (some plugins could
make a difference here but the DokuWiki core does not) and it's functional
(for the most part) without having javascript enabled.

For other content, like videos for example it's your responsibility to provide
equivalent audio material for example. For a complete list of requirements
to fullfill please refer to [2] (German).

As for exporting the content into different formats: This is relatively easy
because you can write your own renderer plugins (a plain text renderer exists
for example), so it should be possible to render wiki pages into formats
readable by braille translators for example (I have no experience in this
topic, but I guess they probably use plain text) or even create a braille
renderer (libbraille might be interesting [3]).

Another interesting read on this topic is [4].

Hope that helps,
        Michael

[1] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrierefreies_Internet
[2] http://bundesrecht.juris.de/bitv/anlage_8.html