[dokuwiki] Re: XML-RPC to deal with ACLs

  • From: "Support Account" <Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:08:20 -0500

Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 9:06 AM
Subject: [dokuwiki] XML-RPC to deal with ACLs

> Hi,
>
> Are there any possibilities or plans to be able to change ACL settings
> through the XML-RPC interface of Dokuwiki? I'm creating scripts that
> publish contents from various sorces to dokuwiki pages but I need to
> alter or create ACLs also which I cannot do. Unfortunately I'm not
> familiar the server side of XML-RPC and the core of Dokuwiki.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
> --

I'll second this request. The XML-RPC interface has considerable potential
and that potential increases even more when XML-RPC is used in conjunction
with DokuWiki's plugins; however, I've run into the same ACL modification
hurdle mentioned in this post as well as a subtle obstacle related to the
lack of a consistent "error document" mentioned in a post yesterday.

One type of "error document" that is becoming more common takes the form
described briefly at http://api.evdb.com/docs/errors (which is the
documentation for the Eventful API, echoed by Yahoo, zVents, etc.).
Basically, there is an <error> element which has an integer and a string
attribute uniquely identifiying the error plus a <description> child element
providing human-readable text. In DokuWiki, it seems that a string "source"
attribute would also be needed in the <error> element, allowing plugins to
identify themselves. Potentially, there could also be multiple <description>
elements, each having a string "lang" attribute [which becomes more
important as requests target specific languages].

Just some thoughts --
-Rob