[dokuwiki] Re: Who is responsible for presenting error messages to the user?

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:37:58 +0000

Matthias Grimm wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:35:08 +0100
Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:52:56 +0100
Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Any thought regarding error management? I would like to remove any
human readable error messages from the mysql backend.
I agree with this. The auth backend should communicate with the user
frontend through return codes only. Only debugging messages should be
created from the backend (without translation). Have a quick look at the
LDAP backend how it is done there.

Ok, I will remove all error messages from the mysql backend. Currently most functions will return false on error. We could replace this by an error code later if deeper knowledge of the error cause would be desired.

Best Regards
Matthias
You don't necesarily need to remove themm, not if they are already there. Did you check LDAP?

Andi has a debug variable and only prints out the messages if that variable is true.

// an error check has failed ...
if($this->cnf['debug']) { msg('Houston, we have a problem....',-1); }
return false;

Cheers,

Chris