[dokuwiki] Re: Who is responsible for presenting error messages to the user?

  • From: Koen Huybrechts <huybkoen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:27:33 +0100

Matthias Grimm schreef:

Hi,
while I'm hacking on the mysql authentication module I realize a small
question: Who is responsible for presenting error messages to the user?

The mysql backend generates a few error messages itself and as far as
they are related to module initialization I haven't any problems with
them. But how about error messages in functions?

IMHO that part that communicates with the user should provide user
readable error messages. For example the user wants to change a user
entry and opens the user editor. After submitting the data the user
editor calls the mysql backend and gets an error code (in this case
FALSE). The user editor translates this error code in a human readable
error message and presents it to the user.

Currently the mysql backend presents the error messages itself but this
doesn't seem to be very clever.

Any thought regarding error management? I would like to remove any
human readable error messages from the mysql backend.

 Best Regards
   Matthias

hi,

Maybe there is a possibility to set up an page with all error messages. Analog on language files?? There, all the possible errors are stored and if any error appears, the wiki gets the message from that file...

koko

-----
webmaster van:

www.thawetje.be