[dokuwiki] Re: Using the starter template in a vendor branch

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:20:06 +0100

I wonder if this workflow could even be improved by some clever use
of git branches. With the goal to be able to update a custom
template based on starter by simply issuing a git merge
upstream/master or so... No idea if and how this could work. Just
an idea to think about.

That was my original thought. A vendor branch, that is updated and
can be merged to the master branch.

I wonder if putting only those files in a git submodule would make sense?

This also reminds me of Drupal's concept of "sub themes" [http://drupal.org/node/225125]. But I don't think this really applies here (as I don't like the bloat it creates and we also don't have the need to inherit php/html template files).

On the other hand I think any kind of branch or update mechanism is not necessary anymore, now with the new default template. Because the template was based on the starter template, it inherited the mechanism of the underscored CSS files.

As I mentioned in another email recently, the goal is that you don't need to have those files at all, but can simply reference the default ones like so:
../dokuwiki/css/_admin.css = screen

I plan to push a starter template branch during the next few days in which I remove everything that makes it backwards-compatible, i.e. all those CSS files and a lot of the tpl_functions and some images. That branch will only ever be compatible with the latest DokuWiki version (so, I'll probablly call it "latest"), while the master branch will always be backwards-compatible for 1 or 2 years.

Cheers,
Anika