[dokuwiki] Re: Template thoughts

  • From: "Mr Anchovy" <mr.anchovy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:07:05 +0000

From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dokuwiki] Re: Template thoughts
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:58:46 +0100

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:35:38 +0000
"Mr Anchovy" <mr.anchovy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andi what are your thoughts about this? Are you happy with what is in
> DokuWiki at the moment?

Yes I am. I decided against smarty because it does give any real
advantages in my experience. When using smarty you soon start to use
PHP-like constructs like loops and if-then-else cases, but with a
different syntax. I think PHP is a very good templating language itself
- no need for another abstraction layer. BTW. developers of some other
popular software seem to think alike, eg. Wordpress or Joomla.

I understand, and I am not going to try to 'sell' Smarty here. I will point out though that there is a plugin for WordPress that enables Smarty templates, and PostNuke and XOOPS (among others) *do* use Smarty.

> Would you be interested in adopting a progressive implementation of
> Smarty within DokuWiki core?

no

Given your answer above, I am not surprised!

> How about
> incorporating some minor core changes to make substitution of
> inc/html.php easier?

I think inc/html.php could use some improvements, there are some things
that are much too monolithic, but I'm not sure we are thinking in the
same direction here... What changes do you have in mind exactly?

What I would like is to enable a plugin to define the functions in inc/html.php. Perhaps you could have a setting of $conf['html_php'] and do require_once(DOKU_INC.$conf['html_php']) instead of require_once(DOKU_INC.'inc/html.php'). You may well have a better way.