[dokuwiki] Re: Suggested new config option: acceptable protocol handlers in links

  • From: Walter Rader <waltergr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:24:34 -0700

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> I think it's up to the OS to offer such protection

3rd party apps can register their own protocol handlers.  Adrian
mentioned eDonkey, Lothar mentioned games.  Certainly one could
question whether this should be permitted, but it is.

> leaving such things up to individual web sites seems like
> relying on drops in an ocean.

The number of protocol handlers commonly used is pretty small.
Most wikis could just use some sensible defaults - http, https,
ftp, mailto, maybe nntp and news.

> As to implementation: besides needing a "complete" whitelist
> of protocols for the default

I don't think we need (nor want) a complete whitelist.  Opera,
for example, had a telnet protocol hander vulnerability.  It's
a matter of reducing surface area.

> what about the user experience? <snip>
> If suspect that if Dokuwiki isn't verbose
> enough about it, such a protection scheme could result in
> troubleshooting issues for Dokuwiki users and admins.

Though I certainly have no evidence to back this up, I suspect
anyone using an uncommon protocol handler in a link is one of
two people:

a) a user experienced enough to know what a protocol handler
  is, and to contact the admin if it's not working
b) a malicious user who will give up if it's not working

> Should Dokuwiki flat out not
> accept content that contains an unregistered protocol? Should
> it accept but silently drop? Should it accept, but not display?
> Should it accept but display the links as plain text, instead
> of a hyperlink? Should it display a warning/error message that
> explains the problem?

If it were my site I wouldn't want the link to display at all.
But there's no way we can protect users completely.  Even
HTTP links can point to a malicious payload.  I'd be fine with
just rendering it as text.  Maybe insert a space somewhere to
make it harder for users to copy-and-paste.

Walter