[dokuwiki] Suggested new config option: acceptable protocol handlers in links

  • From: Walter Rader <waltergr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:02:44 -0700

I had an e-mail thread going with Andi and he suggested I bring it to the mailing list for additional feedback.

Links embedded in DokuWiki pages can use arbitrary protocol handlers, for example the shell: protocol handler. While browsers usually block this particular handler, allowing the user to specify arbitrary handlers in links (in combination with a protocol handler vulnerability in the browser, OS, or 3rd party software) opens the possibility of a malicious user utilizing a DokuWiki installation to compromise other visitors.

Both Firefox and IE will pass un-handled protocol handlers to the operating system. (Probably other browsers as well.) If there's a vulnerability in the protocol handler, a malicious user could place a link in a DokuWiki installation which exploits this.

There have been protocol handler vulnerabilities in the past, e.g. a BO in Windows' gopher protocol handler, a telnet handler vuln. in Opera, shell handler vuln. in Firefox, etc.

Suggestion:

Add a config option to specify the acceptable protocol handlers in links. Set the DokuWiki installation default to (say) http, https, and ftp.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Walter