[dokuwiki] Re: Should a link to a namespace work (i.e. without 'start')?

  • From: Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 11:16:12 +0100

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 09:42:28AM +0200, Guillaume Turri wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    2011/3/26 Chris G <[1]cl@xxxxxxxx>
>
>      Shouldn't it be possible (or wouldn't it be nice) if one could just use
>      the link [[newnamespace]] and, if there's not a newnamespace.txt and
>      there is a newnamespace/start.txt that's used instead?
>
>    My two cents:
>
>    On the first hand, it's already possible to use [[newnamespace:]]: it will
>    work as if we put [[newnamespace:start]] (1)

Ah, OK, I didn't realise that.

... and the reason that I didn't realise that is that it doesn't work,
at least it doesn't on my DokuWiki.

E.g. I have a namespace 'computer' and on that namespace is the
following start.txt:-

  * [[systems:]] - Notes about set-up, configuration, quirks, workarounds etc.
of the various syste>
  * [[hardware:]] - Documentation, links, notes about printers, scanner,
router, etc. and specifica>
  * [[software:]] - This includes some generic Linux information, workarounds,
etc. Notes and ideas>
  * [[miscellaneous:]] - Things that don't fit anywhere else, including notes
about passwords
  * [[nokia:]] - Bits and pieces about my Nokia E71 smartphone.
  * [[thiswiki]] - Notes on this Info Wiki

None of the links with a colon after them works.  If I change it as follows:-

  * [[.:systems:]] - Notes about set-up, configuration, quirks, workarounds
etc. of the various sys>
  * [[.:hardware:]] - Documentation, links, notes about printers, scanner,
router, etc. and specifi>
  * [[.:software:]] - This includes some generic Linux information,
workarounds, etc. Notes and ide>
  * [[.:miscellaneous:]] - Things that don't fit anywhere else, including notes
about passwords
  * [[.:nokia:]] - Bits and pieces about my Nokia E71 smartphone.
  * [[thiswiki]] - Notes on this Info Wiki

Then they all work (all those namespaces do have a start.txt).

>    On the other hand, I think that the possibility to use just
>    [[newnamespace]] could be a bit "dangerous" (2).
>    I mean: let's imagine we want to create a new namespace "b" in a namespace
>    "a", and we use [[b]]. With this rule, it would first work. But as soon as
>    someone create the page a/b.txt, the previous link wouldn't work anymore.

Yes, I think I'd agree if [[newnamespace:]] worked.

--
Chris Green