[dokuwiki] Re: Sendmail -- do I have too? WAAAH!

  • From: Redeeman <redeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:23:49 +0200

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 09:14 +0200, Andreas Gohr,,, wrote:
> Joe Lapp writes:
>
> > But now I want to take advantage of DokuWiki's registration, notification,
> > and subscription features.  Needless to say, sendmail isn't working out of
> > the box, so DokuWiki isn't able to email.  Do I really have to spend a
> > portion of my life banging my head against the sendmail wall, or can we
> > make the DokuWiki mail feature more pluggable, so that I can code up a
> > PHPMailer plugin to do the job?
>
> Okay a few things...
>
> 1) are you sure your maildaemon (if you are running a linux box it is most
> probably not sendmail but exim, postfix, qmail) isn't working? Usually they
> are configured to send mail directly to the receiver when installed, which
> should work in most cases (except a firewall is blocking that).
>
> 2) Are you running your own server? Or do you have someone responsable at
> your ISP - if yes bug them to fix it, it's their job.
many isps(atleast in Denmark) blocks smtp in and out, except for their
own relay.
now, i use courier mailserver currently, and i have setup a esmtproute,
so it works, however, i have been unable to get sendmail emulation
working (i've tried on other systems too, i cant find a single linux
install where it actually works)

> 3) DokuWiki doesn't talk to the mailer directly but uses PHPs mail()
> function. How PHP sends mail is configurable andit shouldn't be to hard to
> tell it to use your ISPs mailserver.
> http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:tips:mailconfig and
> http://php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php should be of help - from a quick look
> this should work for you in your local.php:
>
> ini_set('SMTP','mail.yourisp.com');
im quite certain this only works on windows, on unix/linux, php's mail()
only supports sendmail (or mta's with sendmail emulation)

> 4) Mailserversetup isn't Rocketscience. I recommend Postfix it's dead simple
> but powerful. It's worth an afternoon twiddling ;-)
using phpmailer somehow seems more apropriate, since it can do it all -
it can use mail(), sendmail directly, or use an smtp server of choice.