[dokuwiki] Re: Sendmail -- do I have too? WAAAH!

  • From: "Andreas Gohr,,," <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:14:47 +0200

Joe Lapp writes:

But now I want to take advantage of DokuWiki's registration, notification,
and subscription features. Needless to say, sendmail isn't working out of
the box, so DokuWiki isn't able to email. Do I really have to spend a
portion of my life banging my head against the sendmail wall, or can we
make the DokuWiki mail feature more pluggable, so that I can code up a
PHPMailer plugin to do the job?

Okay a few things...

1) are you sure your maildaemon (if you are running a linux box it is most probably not sendmail but exim, postfix, qmail) isn't working? Usually they are configured to send mail directly to the receiver when installed, which should work in most cases (except a firewall is blocking that).

2) Are you running your own server? Or do you have someone responsable at your ISP - if yes bug them to fix it, it's their job.

3) DokuWiki doesn't talk to the mailer directly but uses PHPs mail() function. How PHP sends mail is configurable andit shouldn't be to hard to tell it to use your ISPs mailserver. http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:tips:mailconfig and http://php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php should be of help - from a quick look this should work for you in your local.php:

ini_set('SMTP','mail.yourisp.com');

4) Mailserversetup isn't Rocketscience. I recommend Postfix it's dead simple but powerful. It's worth an afternoon twiddling ;-)