[dokuwiki] Re: Search Index

  • From: Ian Laurenson <hillview@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:59:58 +1200

Copied below is a portion of my email to Sergej of RiSearch and his
reply:

> Recently on the DokuWiki mailing list a request was made for
> suggestions for a better search method - naturally I suggested
> RiSearch PHP having found it excellent. However, with RiSearch
> being shareware rather than under an open source license including
> it in DokuWiki would be problematic. Is there anyway that is
> acceptable to you in which RiSearch PHP could be integrated with
> DokuWiki in a standard DokuWiki release?

While in general I don't mind if RiSearch PHP will be included
in DokuWiki (license details we can discuss later), but there are
still several questions:

1) This is quite old script with primitive algorithm.
It should be rewritten long ago, but I don't have time
to work with this script (most efforts were spent on RiSearch Pro,
which is Perl script). While this script is distributed on as-is
basis, every user must made own decision before installing script.
When it will be included into other package, things will be different.
Are you sure it is best option for DokuWiki?

2) Script probably should be modified for DokuWiki. I didn't have
time to look at DokuWiki internals, hopefully it wouldn't be very
difficult.

3) This script doesn't have option to add page into existing
index. After every change site should be reindexed. It is not
good for big sites and there is no solution for this problem
at this time. I have other script in Perl with such option,
but don't know when similar algorithm will be ported into
RiSearch PHP.

--
Best regards,
 Sergej Tarasov                          mailto:risearch@xxxxxxxxxxxx