[dokuwiki] SV: Re: Disabling namespaces in DokuWiki?

  • From: "Lindgren Daniel" <daniel.lindgren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:20:33 +0100

> > Pretty much the main reason I picked Dokuwiki was that it has
> > hierarchical namespaces, something most (all?) other wiki software
> > lacks.
>
> If namespaces support is a good thing, why don't more wikis have it?
> In my view (as previously stated) this is because namespaces
> go against the wiki philosophy. All pages should be
> considered as remote islands of independent pieces of
> information. (Breaking out of the hierarchical mindset...)
> Every page should independently define itself in order to
> simplify reuse from all contexts.
>
> That said, I do believe namespaces *could* be useful in some
> very specific, narrow and hierarchical contexts...

One obvious example is when you want to apply security settings on
sections of the wiki. With a flat structure it is practically impossible
(administration nightmare, every page has to be secured individually),
with ACL support and a namespace structure it is simple, elegant and
requires minimal administration. Bind DokuWiki to an LDAP service and
it's even better.

We chose DokuWiki for that reason. If you really want a flat structure
and do not care about ACL support, why not use MediaWiki instead?

BR,
Daniel Lindgren