[dokuwiki] Re: SUMMARY: Splitting user and dev lists (forum)

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 15:08:43 -0500 (CDT)

Andi wrote:
>[...] I'd like to have at least two moderators who will make
> sure the forum stays on topic and move/split posts accordingly.

Do you mean for the moderators to vet all posts prior to publishing them, or do
you mean for them to just take responsiblility for monitoring posts as they are
published?  I'm all for the latter approach.

Textpattern has taken a similar tack.  They have a listserv for core developers
and everything else is forum-based.  It works well.  The dev list actually gets
very little traffic.  The only time it seems to break down is when users and
developers are trying to hash out and agree on a feature.  The conversation
might be occuring in both places (with disconnects between them) or in one
place when it would be more effective in the other, depending on who cares the
most.

What forum topics would we start with?  Here's one possibility:

- Installation
- Syntax and usage
- Templates and layout
- Plugin use and development
- New feature requests
- Bug reports

I do think bug reports belong in the public forum.  Most bug reports are bogus
and other users can quickly set people straight.  Bugs that people can confirm
later get reported to the dev list.  Developers could still post bug reports to
the dev list though; they're more likely to be legit (unless I happen to be the
developer).

I think new features needs a forum too, so that users can hash out their value
and explore alternative solutions before the developers take them seriously
(and before they go into flyspray).

~joe